Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nancys Gone Quiet?

• 28-12-2018 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Had to meet up with a few friends from college who are back from abroad and we went to our college local, Nancy's. I've never seen it so quiet. What's going on? Got a shock when we went in there last night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I heard that House (previously Sin Bin) and The 101 (previously Bentleys) are taking a huge chunk of Nancy's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I heard that House (previously Sin Bin) and The 101 (previously Bentleys) are taking a huge chunk of Nancy's business.

Nancy's was always uncomfortably packed, never enjoyed it like that. It's all a bit dated in Nancy's imo.
    101 and Maggie choos are well done and run imo. Busy but loads of areas to move around. House is ok depending on what you are looking for.
    The 27th can be quiet anyway as Stephens night is generally a big night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

Judging by the amount of empty kegs outside there this morning they had a very busy Christmas .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

MrLaurel wrote: »
    Had to meet up with a few friends from college who are back from abroad and we went to our college local, Nancy's. I've never seen it so quiet. What's going on? Got a shock when we went in there last night
    My friends and I used to frequent Nancys quite a lot up until this year (out of a lack of alternatives if I'm being honest), but I think all the new bars/nightclubs which have opened recently in Limerick have affected Nancys. As another poster alluded to, it was nearly always uncomfortably packed in Nancys, so we were only too happy to avail of the new alternatives. Over Christmas, we were up around Catherine St. in Ma Hogans, The Commercial, & Jerry Flannerys new bar, and they were all packed. 101 and House seemed to be busy most nights too, so maybe there is a shift away from Denmark St. towards other parts of town, which is no harm I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Haven't been to Nancy's in so many years. I despised having to queue to get into a place you couldn't move in.

Now I tend to spend evenings further up the street passed Roche's street which years ago would have been unheard of. Now that's there's a lot of choice up there I won't be going near Nancy's again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

As mentioned above, several new clubs have opened in Limerick in the last year or so in competition to Nancys who ,for years, have gotten away with packing people in like cattle at a mart if you are stupid enough to put up with that kind of treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Same as above and it's no harm. Nancy's had the Monopoly on the pub scene for ages. They must have been raking it in but they never gave anything back. Don't think it's too much to ask that you can lock the door behind ya in the loo! The place was very run down in parts. Especially in comparison to the likes of 101 and House. People actually want to be comfortable on a night out! Maybe now they'll put some money into freshening it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Funnily enough they had a write up on thejournal.ie just before Christmas https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjixJihpMPfAhWoShUIHSALB68QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thejournal.ie%2Fnancy-blakes-limerick-4400154-Dec2018%2F&psig=AOvVaw0LNTqr2IPI8jSP2CfK1Dx7&ust=1546112561162382

They're probably not as busy as they used to be, but it's not exactly dead in there either. They're not in danger of closing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Very true. Most of my gang have abandoned Nancy “Blokes” for the places that have actually spent money doing them up. 101 mostly. I was there in Nancies a few weeks ago on a Sunday night and the crowd was fair rough. Even lads in tracksuits which was unheard of a few years ago. Jerry Fla’s has a significant effect in Nancies too. All the girls in our group are not going to go back to the jacks that’s the same in 20 years and messy courtyard. Too many old guys hanging around looking for young ones the same age as their grandkids. Everything has a cycle I suppose but a renovation should be the first thing as the crowd isn’t going back there. Personally I like the place but the choice is bigger now.

The nightlife in Limerick is spread out these days and its great to see it. Was in 101 last night with friends who are home for Christmas. They couldn't get over how spoiled for choice they were when it came to late bars. When they left Ireland, Nancys would have been the spot for late pints if you wanted to avoid clubbing. Limerick night life has changed hugely in the last 2 years for the better. Long may it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Deep down, I still like the place for all it's "charms" but it's just not the place to be any more. The pints have never been good and the toilets need a total overhaul. When you compare the place to 101 and House, it's just not good enough any more. It's from the era when everyone drank pints of Bud and wore 501s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Pints are dreadful there as they are in Tom Collins since they took over that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Some amount of choice when you think of it! No mention of the establishment though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Nancy's is a complete dump. Bouncers don't have a clue. The smell of farts and sweat in there on a busy night is something to behold.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Some amount of choice when you think of it! No mention of the establishment though

Choice?? Now that's funny. 100 'late' bars with the same music/decor is not choice in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Stab*City wrote: »
    Choice?? Now that's funny. 100 'late' bars with the same music/decor is not choice in my eyes.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Its better than having everyone squeezed into one bar! At least there's newer places to go, and I include Ma Hogans in that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

101 and House are not the natural successors to Nancy's. Very different crowds go to both. There's the air of Snapchat Instagram socialites to both you just don't get in Nancy's. I've no time for pubs up their hole about what they are, who I should be, and how I should dress in 2019.

PetKing wrote: »
    I've no time for pubs up their hole about what they are, who I should be, and how I should dress in 2019.

Your comment reminds of the late 90s. As a bloke if you weren't wearing black shoes and trousers you weren't getting in. Some places wouldn't let you in in Jeans FFS. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think what has happened is that the next generation (ie those under 25 or maybe even under 30) never started going to Nancy's in the first place and opted for other/newer establishments/venues. The crowd who treated Nancy's (i.e. over 30s) as their local gradually fizzled out as marriage, children, mortgages, creche fees, middle age etc took over. The fact that Nancy's never reinvented itself is a double edged sword - for some, it's a tired, stuck in a time warp venue that hasn't moved with the times which will still appeal to some (a shrinking some) for nostalgia but for others (subsequent generations), it will not be on their radar if it doesn't meet what they considered minimum standards. If Nancy's clientele doesn't generate buzz or trends on social media then it might as well not exist to anyone who has grown up in a world where a social media presence is the bare minimum for awareness/engagement/endorsement etc.

The descriptions in other posts on fashion and drink choice, methods for hooking up (either through wanted or unwanted advances) and acceptable toilet and hygiene standards etc suggest Nancy's golden days are over. The days of singing along in unison to "Don't Look Back in Anger" while spilling Bud on your mates boot cut jeans are numbered!

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its better than having everyone squeezed into one bar! At least there's newer places to go, and I include Ma Hogans in that too.

I don't mind squeezing into a bar if its worth it. Which Nancy's isn't. Why cant any of these venues go out on a limb and try something different. All copying each other. The outback, The courtyard the f**king back alley more like. And whats the deal with all the stupid animal names? The spotted dog, the black wolf, the pink unicorn. Are the venues so unoriginal they cant even come up with a name that does not involve the hue of an animals coat? The only decent acts they book are 20 years out of popular culture anyway.
    PetKing wrote: »
    I've no time for pubs up their hole about what they are, who I should be, and how I should dress in 2019.

Same.
    Berty wrote: »
    Your comment reminds of the late 90s. As a bloke if you weren't wearing black shoes and trousers you weren't getting in. Some places wouldn't let you in in Jeans FFS. :D

Isn't it awful thats its 2019 and the bouncers of Nancy's et al still have the mentality of 25 years ago?!?! :confused:

And whats the deal with all the stupid animal names? The spotted dog, the black wolf, the pink unicorn. Are the venues so unoriginal they cant even come up with a name that does not involve the hue of an animals coat?

It goes back 100's of years when people were not educated much or at all and catered for those who couldn't read "good" :pac:

Pictures of the taverns on the signs(which they still do in the UK) would be of, lets says a "Spotted Dog", so you'd recognise it by the picture and not the words on it.

Traditions die hard.

Berty wrote: »
    It goes back 100's of years when people were not educated much or at all and catered for those who couldn't read "good" :pac:

Pictures of the taverns on the signs(which they still do in the UK) would be of, lets says a "Spotted Dog", so you'd recognise it by the picture and not the words on it.

Traditions die hard.

Ok so there was a point to it, in bloody 1745! Its 2019 now like. The red hen, the lone wolf, the black dog. Anyway i guess my point is its all the same old hack here in Limerick and no wonder Nancy's is going down hill, they never bothered to evolve, some would say that's the beauty of it course they would they have so much time invested in the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ok so there was a point to it, in bloody 1745! Its 2019 now like. The red hen, the lone wolf, the black dog.

Hey! :mad: You are insulting people like me in 2019 who don't read good when they are blathered.

Isn't it awful thats its 2019 and the bouncers of Nancy's et al still have the mentality of 25 years ago?!?! :confused:

I don't head into town too often these days, but I used to be a regular and always found the bouncers to be grand in Nancy's. Especially compared to the crowd across the road in Smyths.

What did you do to get on their bad side? ;)

Apparently they had plans to develop the mill building beside Nancys but I'm not sure why that never got off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Mc Love wrote:
    Apparently they had plans to develop the mill building beside Nancys but I'm not sure why that never got off the ground.

It ground to a halt

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

As someone who left Limerick a long time ago (was home for a couple of days over Christmas) I find the idea of bouncers in Nancy Blake's absolutely hilarious!!

We were often brought there a small children as my parents and wider family knew Nancy quite well .....back then it was the most sedate pub you could imagine.

Been in there a few times in intervening years when it was taken over by her son Donal. It had acquired a reputation as a "trendy or cool" place to drink by then but still scratching my head as to why bouncers needed there!!

Are the Mulcahys still running it?

As someone who left Limerick a long time ago (was home for a couple of days over Christmas) I find the idea of bouncers in Nancy Blake's absolutely hilarious!!

We were often brought there a small children as my parents and wider family knew Nancy quite well .....back then it was the most sedate pub you could imagine.

Been in there a few times in intervening years when it was taken over by her son Donal. It had acquired a reputation as a "trendy or cool" place to drink by then but still scratching my head as to why bouncers needed there!!

Are the Mulcahys still running it?

Yeah Donal Mulcahy still runs it and has expanded his empire to include Tom Collins' and the Woodfield Arms.

As to why it needs bouncers, well hundreds of drunk people in one of the citys largest pubs means that there's going to be trouble at some stage. And where it's located you try to also keep trouble out. The same as any large pub in the city center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Burger King has bouncers in Limerick!!

Advertisement