Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nancys Gone Quiet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Cant believe it could be legally allowed have the occupancy without bouncers due to licensing laws.

Also drunks being drunks it's really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Slightly off topic but I blundered into Icon there on Sunday the 30th...for old times sake - hadn't been there in all of 2018 I reckon (which is great since I'm over 30 now and should know better!!). There was literally myself and my friend there when we walked in - only downstairs open (which is fair enough for a Sunday). Nobody came in during the 20 mins it took to drink a pint. Was chatting to the bar man and he said they only opened the 2nd floor twice during Christmas. Was really shocked by this. Remember the place being wedged every night over Christmas for the last 5 - 6 years (Can't comment on 2017/2018 as I wasn't around much). Can definitely see this place in trouble if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Apparently if you play in a band that plays in Smyth's, they dont allow you play anywhere else in the city. Hope that comes back to bite them in the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Mc Love wrote: »
    Apparently if you play in a band that plays in Smyth's, they dont allow you play anywhere else in the city. Hope that comes back to bite them in the ass

Yup, I've heard that too.

Apparently, some of musicians set up bands with different names but similar members to get around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

bar32 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I blundered into Icon there on Sunday the 30th...for old times sake - hadn't been there in all of 2018 I reckon (which is great since I'm over 30 now and should know better!!). There was literally myself and my friend there when we walked in - only downstairs open (which is fair enough for a Sunday). Nobody came in during the 20 mins it took to drink a pint. Was chatting to the bar man and he said they only opened the 2nd floor twice during Christmas. Was really shocked by this. Remember the place being wedged every night over Christmas for the last 5 - 6 years (Can't comment on 2017/2018 as I wasn't around much). Can definitely see this place in trouble if that's the case.

Can't say I'm saddened to hear this, the staff (well, mainly the bouncers) were always a shower of pricks in there. In the good old days, they would turn people away for any little thing which they didn't like...in a cruel twist of irony, it sounds like they are desperate for custom now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Can't say I'm saddened to hear this, the staff (well, mainly the bouncers) were always a shower of pricks in there. In the good old days, they would turn people away for any little thing which they didn't like...in a cruel twist of irony, it sounds like they are desperate for custom now.

Well, as long as they have the rule for men whereby they forbid trainers, no matter how stylish, expensive or good they look and that you can only wear cheap black shoes (preferably purchased in Guineys or Shoe Zone and worn with white socks) then it's going to be off-putting. :D;)

Seriously though, nightclubs of the 1990s/2000s variety seem to be failing everywhere (apart from a handful in Dublin like Coppers that have the bigger population to support them). It's all late bars with dance floor/DJs. Tralee used to have 3 clubs similar to Icon and now has none. The legendary Club 92 in South County Dublin has also shut down due to lack of attendance.

Smart phones, social media, dating and hook up apps are a factor I think. Previously, clubs were virtually one of the few places you could potentially hook up with someone whereas it can be done anywhere and anytime through online means now. Millennials don't have a precedent or history of going clubbing every week so the demand is simply not there. If a club is deserted on one or two visits, you will most likely never go to it again either which further kills off a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Nancy's and icon are dead
    House and 101 are the new kids on the block and thank God for that.
    Nancy's made plenty coin for what was essentially an alley with a plastic roof.
    the sickening smell of smoke on my clothes every time I went there is something I won't ever forget. Horrible horrible place.
    Limerick is booming and people have money and house and 101 offer a classy trendy option to people who don't want to come home reeking of cigarettes and old man body odor. RIP Nancy blokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

As someone who left Limerick a long time ago (was home for a couple of days over Christmas) I find the idea of bouncers in Nancy Blake's absolutely hilarious!!

We were often brought there a small children as my parents and wider family knew Nancy quite well .....back then it was the most sedate pub you could imagine.

Been in there a few times in intervening years when it was taken over by her son Donal. It had acquired a reputation as a "trendy or cool" place to drink by then but still scratching my head as to why bouncers needed there!!

Are the Mulcahys still running it?

Same here, I remember eating tayto and drinking orange in the front bar after the market on a Saturday morning.

In my 20’s Nancy herself was still alive and it was our place of choice to end up every weekend. I used to sit at the top of the stairs with her dog.

We stopped going when it started to become WAY to popular and you had to be dressed like you’re going to a wedding AND queue to get in!

I’m an aul wan at 41 now though! I like a seat by the fire and a toilet with a lock! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

the sickening smell of smoke on my clothes every time I went there is something I won't ever forget. Horrible horrible place.
    Limerick is booming and people have money and house and 101 offer a classy trendy option to people who don't want to come home reeking of cigarettes and old man body odor. RIP Nancy blokes.

Haha. If you hated is so much, why did you keep going back? Anyways it's going nowhere. It's not as busy as it used to be, but the odd time I pop in it's still busy. And if you didn't want the stink of cigarettes on your clothes, then maybe you should have stayed in one of the non smoking areas. You're obviously too young to remember what it was like before the smoking ban.

And as for House, if I want to pay €6 for a pint I'll head to Dublin. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Is 101 not owned by the same crowd that own Icon and Smyths?

• Advertisement

Haha. If you hated is so much, why did you keep going back? Anyways it's going nowhere. It's not as busy as it used to be, but the odd time I pop in it's still busy. And if you didn't want the stink of cigarettes on your clothes, then maybe you should have stayed in one of the non smoking areas. You're obviously too young to remember what it was like before the smoking ban.

And as for House, if I want to pay €6 for a pint I'll head to Dublin. No thanks.

Ah, an old fogey hanging onto nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that. We will agree to disagree. I didn't keep going back, once I realised it was a glorified smoke stenched alley dressed up as a pub I abstained from going.

I'd be willing to be Nancy's will be gone in the next 24 months, heard off a few people that they're struggling. BTW, I could have gone to the small cramped non smoking sections, but that wouldn't have helped avoid the stench of BO and piss that was in every section!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

bar32 wrote: »

Delighted to read this. A horrible clubs run by horrible people with horrible ***** on the door.

I worked there for a while when I was younger and I can honestly say it was the worst job I ever had. The managers were disgusting human beings and I understand the older guy is still there managing the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

tommy249 wrote: »
    Think so. The same guy owns Texas Steakout as well, and a few other places around Limerick. Can't think of the name though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

Think so. The same guy owns Texas Steakout as well, and a few other places around Limerick. Can't think of the name though..

Tony Enright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ah, an old fogey hanging onto nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that. We will agree to disagree. I didn't keep going back, once I realised it was a glorified smoke stenched alley dressed up as a pub I abstained from going.

I'd be willing to be Nancy's will be gone in the next 24 months, heard off a few people that they're struggling. BTW, I could have gone to the small cramped non smoking sections, but that wouldn't have helped avoid the stench of BO and piss that was in every section!

Jesus, that's the first time I've ever been called an old fogey! I though I had to be at least 20 years older before I qualified for that term :eek:

Listen kid, it's nothing at all to do with nostalgia. I don't actually go there that often anymore, but your hatred of the place is a bit OTT. I've been to (and like) 101. Same with the Commercial. House thought is something that Limerick has always had one of. A bar that has notions, charging Dublin prices, full of Limericks wannabes. Funnily enough Clohesseys was the same when it first opened at the same location. Same with Aubars at the start.

BTW Donal Mulcahy also owns Tom Collins and the Woodfield. He's doing quite well. As I said Nancys will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'd be willing to wager that House will be closed before Nancys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Don't drink as much these days, but when I venture out have noticed the massive difference in Limerick's nightlife. Used to go to Nancy's few times a week before wouldn't touch the place now given the much better alternatives.

101 is good and the bar just opened next door is even better. House offers something different and you could spend literally the whole night up that side of town. Costello's was packed for the nights I was out over the Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

How much are you willing to bet?

Kieran Enright from Ennis owns Smyths and was previously a partner in Reardens in Cork.
    He had a similar but smaller bar in Ennis back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Nancy's need to fix the jacks, they're a disgrace in this day and age!

• Advertisement

How much are you willing to bet?

100 euro.

100 euro.

I'll take it, send me the money via Western Union.

Grand. Do you want a mod to hold the money from both parties In escrow or use a smart contract ?

Surely given your chronic old fogeyism carrier pigeon would be more apt? ;)

Surely given your chronic old fogeyism carrier pigeon would be more apt? ;)

I'm not the old fogey he's referring to. It's worth noting that he thinks that a major international musician is heading up a crime syndicate on the Hyde Road so I wouldn't read too much into his analysis.

I'm not the old fogey he's referring to. It's worth noting that he thinks that a major international musician is heading up a crime syndicate on the Hyde Road so I wouldn't read too much into his analysis.

Ah I was only joking :) I’m an aul wan myself, probably more of a fogey than anyone here.

I was just kidding.

Won’t lie though. Am INTRIGUED by the international musician/Hyde road conspiracy theory! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

tommy249 wrote: »
    It is. The owner of Pharmacia is also involved in it afaik. And by all accounts the same nonsense is going on at the door that was the norm at Smyths. Cracking venue designed by Chris McCreedy Design, just a pity about those running it.

Nancy's needs to reinvent itself. It hasn't moved with the times and it isn't Costello's so it won't get away with it. If they put a bit of money and thought in to it they'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

The biggest problem people seem to have with Nancys is that it's too packed, so surely less people going there will in turn make it more attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Way better off going to a proper bar/pub.

Mother Macs, Myles Breen’s, The White House, Fennesseys etc. are great pubs with a great pint and none of this queuing nonsense.

On my way home after the Munster Leinster game on the 29th I saw queues outside Nancy’s and 101 stretching down the street. Why would you waste 30 mins of your life waiting to go into a place where you’ll be wedged instead of going to another bar where there is comfort and quality drinks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Way better off going to a proper bar/pub.

Mother Macs, Myles Breen’s, The White House, Fennesseys etc. are great pubs with a great pint and none of this queuing nonsense.

On my way home after the Munster Leinster game on the 29th I saw queues outside Nancy’s and 101 stretching down the street. Why would you waste 30 mins of your life waiting to go into a place where you’ll be wedged instead of going to another bar where there is comfort and quality drinks?

Nancy's is a proper pub though. Don't let the crowd in there on the weekends confuse that. Its a great spot for a few quiet afternoon drinks.

Advertisement