Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nancys Gone Quiet?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I don't head into town too often these days, but I used to be a regular and always found the bouncers to be grand in Nancy's. Especially compared to the crowd across the road in Smyths.

What did you do to get on their bad side? ;)

Nothing I've only been in there a handful of times. Last time was at our work Christmas party. 15 of us. 1 non drinker who was stopped for being too drunk. When the other 14 drunk out of their minds people had a fit he was let in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Nancy's is a proper pub though. Don't let the crowd in there on the weekends confuse that. Its a great spot for a few quiet afternoon drinks.

It is, from Sunday to Thursday evening. I actually don’t mind going there then, quality of pints leaves a lot to be desired though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

It is, from Sunday to Thursday evening. I actually don’t mind going there then, quality of pints leaves a lot to be desired though

With the quietening down of it over the last few months, its even a decent place on a Friday/Saturday night again. I was never a fan of it because of how busy it was, but it's a lot better nowadays.

Why would you waste 30 mins of your life waiting to go into a place where you’ll be wedged instead of going to another bar where there is comfort and quality drinks?

One word... Women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Absolutely piss compared to the likes of Mother Macs up the road, or Myles Breens/Flannerys of Shannon Street. Before they go about "re-inventing" themselves or renovating the toilets, they would badly want to sort out their taps! All being said, the front bar (when relatively quiet) is a lovely spot

• Advertisement

All being said, the front bar (when relatively quiet) is a lovely spot

Best thing about this room was the bar lady. My god.

Last time I was in there was full of dyed blonde 40 something soccer moms and local "businessmen". What anyone sees in these places is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Stab*City wrote: »
    One word... Women

And men ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Stab*City wrote: »
    One word... Women

Dunno.
    I never got chatted up in Nancys.

And I'm a fine looking lad like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

Was in Nancys over the weekend. I have to say it's a shadow of it's former self. Very quiet and those that were there wouldn't have been allowed in there before it went quiet.
    Pints are still muck.

Was in Nancys over the weekend. I have to say it's a shadow of it's former self. Very quiet and those that were there wouldn't have been allowed in there before it went quiet.
    Pints are still muck.

I haven't been in there myself yet this year, but I've heard similar reports to yours. I think Nancys will be fine in the long run, it is something of a Limerick institution afterall. However, it is no harm for them to get a wake-up call, they had a monopoly on the market for long enough and never really did anything about that, other than abuse their position! I was walking around the Milk Market last weekend, and passed Nancys on the way up town, and can't understand how they never bought and extended into that old building beside their "outback".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

I haven't been in there myself yet this year, but I've heard similar reports to yours. I think Nancys will be fine in the long run, it is something of a Limerick institution afterall. However, it is no harm for them to get a wake-up call, they had a monopoly on the market for long enough and never really did anything about that, other than abuse their position! I was walking around the Milk Market last weekend, and passed Nancys on the way up town, and can't understand how they never bought and extended into that old building beside their "outback".

they already own it. i was chatting with one of the bar staff a while back and he said they looked at a few different ways of extending in without applying for new planning/change of use. the fire officer told them its listed as a warehouse and can only be used for storage. id like to see it renovated or something happen but its likely to remain empty for a long time

mdmix wrote: »
    they already own it. i was chatting with one of the bar staff a while back and he said they looked at a few different ways of extending in without applying for new planning/change of use. the fire officer told them its listed as a warehouse and can only be used for storage. id like to see it renovated or something happen but its likely to remain empty for a long time

Never realised they own it. Sounds like they'll have to pull the wallet out and invest in it so to renovate it. Should have been done years ago in fairness. Everyone rammed into the outback was a farce at times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mdmix wrote: »

Yeah, I think the plans were along the lines of putting the bar into the warehouse and using the area of the current outback bar as a stage for bands and to put a restaurant upstairs. Obviously all came to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

Yeah, I think the plans were along the lines of putting the bar into the warehouse and using the area of the current outback bar as a stage for bands and to put a restaurant upstairs. Obviously all came to nothing.

maybe if the opera center gets going it might spur investment in nancys, but its hard to see them spending any real money anytime soon

Advertisement