Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being charged for rental of equipment I returned nearly 2 months ago

• 28-12-2018 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭

I just received my latest bill today. Disappointed to see that on the bill is listed a rental charge for equipment i no longer have. 

The equipment in question is an ancient (14 year old) eircom branded Sagem 8010R DECT phone which stopped working and was returned in November to: 

eir Returns,
    Freepost, 
    FLK540, 
    Limerick 

As advised by an eir support representative with whom I spoke on the phone, I accompanied the package with a letter saying it was "no longer required", who i am, and my account number. 
    I specifically requested that the rental charge for this device be removed from future bills, as I did not want eir to replace this  phone. My intention was to use a phone of my own which I had bought in an electrical  shop. 

The rental period being listed on the latest bill is 22 Dec 18 to 21 Feb 19.

I returned the device in early to mid November. The bill was issued December 19th. That should  plenty of time for any change to be noted on an account. There is no way I am continuing to pay this rental charge for something which 
    A. I do not have, and B. At a rate of ~€4.51 + VAT, 6 times a year for ~ 14 years, it has been paid for in it's outright replacement value a dozen times over. 

Can one of the reps please get in touch to sort this out for me? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

duridian wrote: »
    I just received my latest bill today. Disappointed to see that on the bill is listed a rental charge for equipment i no longer have. 

The equipment in question is an ancient (14 year old) eircom branded Sagem 8010R DECT phone which stopped working and was returned in November to: 

eir Returns,
    Freepost, 
    FLK540, 
    Limerick 

As advised by an eir support representative with whom I spoke on the phone, I accompanied the package with a letter saying it was "no longer required", who i am, and my account number. 
    I specifically requested that the rental charge for this device be removed from future bills, as I did not want eir to replace this  phone. My intention was to use a phone of my own which I had bought in an electrical  shop. 

The rental period being listed on the latest bill is 22 Dec 18 to 21 Feb 19.

I returned the device in early to mid November. The bill was issued December 19th. That should  plenty of time for any change to be noted on an account. There is no way I am continuing to pay this rental charge for something which 
    A. I do not have, and B. At a rate of ~€4.51 + VAT, 6 times a year for ~ 14 years, it has been paid for in it's outright replacement value a dozen times over. 

Can one of the reps please get in touch to sort this out for me? 
    Hi duridian, 

Sorry to hear you are being charged for the phone. 

Could you PM me the following details and I will look into this for you?
    Your Name
    Your address
    Your DOB
    Account Number 
    You are the account number. 

As soon as I get this information I will investigate this.

Thanks, 
    Grainne 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Thanks Grainne. PM sent with details

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mangach

I wonder how many customers find themselves bing charged like this.

My Christmas present was a bill for 138 Euro. A charge for equipment allegedly not received by Eir after I closed my account. I did of course send everything in a box well marked on every surface with my account number and a note inside.
    The free post label supplied by Eir was used and a certificate of posting obtained from An Post, 1/11/18. All as per their instructions in plenty of time.
    No contact regarding the equipment until the bill. They have provided no evidence of non receipt just their say so!
    The bill arrived by email 21nd Dec for payment 3rd Jan by direct debit. Not much I can do about it over the holidays.
    Call me a cynic if you like but my experiences with Eir predispose me to consider this bill as punitive action for closing my account.

Eir are a law unto themselves and in their court you loose.

mangach wrote: »

My Christmas present was a bill for 138 Euro. A charge for equipment allegedly not received by Eir after I closed my account. I did of course send everything in a box well marked on every surface with my account number and a note inside.
    The free post label supplied by Eir was used and a certificate of posting obtained from An Post, 1/11/18. All as per their instructions in plenty of time.
    No contact regarding the equipment until the bill. They have provided no evidence of non receipt just their say so!
    The bill arrived by email 21nd Dec for payment 3rd Jan by direct debit. Not much I can do about it over the holidays.
    Call me a cynic if you like but my experiences with Eir predispose me to consider this bill as punitive action for closing my account.

That’s really bad.
    In my situation I wasn’t cancelling any other “services” than the equipment “rental” for the faulty dect phone, and I am not tied to any contracts. So if continuing as a customer, I would hope that eir have enough cop on to sort this billing issue out.
    Surely they aren’t dense enough to throw away a customer, that would still be paying them around €80 per month, over a poxy broken 14 year old phone which was returned to them anyway?

Any news on this, eir.Grainne ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

Any news on this, eir.Grainne ?
    Hi duridian, 

I have responded to your PM. 

Thanks, 
    Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mangach

mangach wrote: »

That’s really bad.
    In my situation I wasn’t cancelling any other “services” than the equipment “rental” for the faulty dect phone, and I am not tied to any contracts. So if continuing as a customer, I would hope that eir have enough cop on to sort this billing issue out.
    Surely they aren’t dense enough to throw away a customer, that would still be paying them around €80 per month, over a poxy broken 14 year old phone which was returned to them anyway?
    Yes they are dense enough. They have today removed the payment from my account.  They know I will never be a customer again after this and will warn prospective customers about their practices.  Even so they took the money !  No questions asked.
    The motto of this company seems to be "Eir doesn't  Care" we have your money and it will cost you more to get it back.

Connor Pope and Sinéad Ryan must be inundated with stories similar to ours.
    Good luck and consider another provider

"

Advertisement