If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Amp for Rega Planar 1?

Options
  • 28-12-2018 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Howaya lads. I'm thinking of getting a Rega Planar 1. I'm just a 'home listener', moving up from a gateway drug Crosley. Not got a huge budget.

What amp would you recommend I get for a Rega Planar 1? Or if there are a few, what are the price ranges (and what would be the best at the lower end of the scale)?

I have some not particularly amazing speakers from an old Sony hifi which will have to do for now (budget dependent). I have two gorgeous Sonos Play speakers that alas apparently can't be connected to my vinyl in any way, so they'll have to be my other mistress.

Thx for any tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Snipped by Mod

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

paulhardman,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum - queries on this forum are for Richersounds to answer, it is inappropriate for Boardies to pitch in their opinion etc.
    If you see a post which is looking for a quote or advice from RS, please resist the urge to offer your opinion. Such queries are not an open invitation for posters to make suggestions etc, these queries should be left to RS to answer. If queries or requests for quotes attracted everyone's opinion, the forum would be unworkable. This is not intended to prevent the usual chat and banter which you will regularly see on the RS forum.

If you want to offer folks your advice, share your experience etc., then you'd be very welcome to pitch in at the Home Entertainment forums here on Boards.

If you have any queries about the Charter, feel free to contact me by PM, do not post any further on this thread.

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Howaya lads. I'm thinking of getting a Rega Planar 1. I'm just a 'home listener', moving up from a gateway drug Crosley. Not got a huge budget.

What amp would you recommend I get for a Rega Planar 1? Or if there are a few, what are the price ranges (and what would be the best at the lower end of the scale)?

I have some not particularly amazing speakers from an old Sony hifi which will have to do for now (budget dependent). I have two gorgeous Sonos Play speakers that alas apparently can't be connected to my vinyl in any way, so they'll have to be my other mistress.

Thx for any tips!
    Hi CamillaRhodes.

Thanks for the email.

You could start by looking at the well reviewed only A9010 priced at £179
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201387-onkyo-a9010-black-stereo-amplifier.aspx

Yamaha have the RS202D which has lot of features but you would require an external pre amp for the turntable as the Planar 1 does not have one built in and neither does this Yamaha)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202211-yamaha-rs202d-black-dab-bluetooth-stereo-receiver.aspx

For something with better sound quality there is the Marantz PM6006 UK edition priced at £299
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202931-marantz-pm6006-uk-edition-black-stereo-amplifier.aspx

For an external pre amp you would be starting at the B-Tech BT26 priced at £24.95
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-909962-btech-bt26-pre-amp-mm-phono-pre-amp-mic-pre-amp.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Camilla,

I'm going to stick my beak in here :) - whoever advise you to start with the REGA Planar is steering you in the right direction - but if you want to save a few quid do look at our package deals - we have a bundled deal with the Planar 1 / Onkyo A9010 / Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Speakers - All What Hifi 5 star award winning products ( and more importantly, all really well matched!)

You can check the link out here:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13569-onkyo-a9010-rega-planar-1-turntable-monitor-audio-bronze-2-black-stereo-amp-turntable-speakers.aspx

You can get this combo for just £589 / €689 ( price is dropping today!) and that represents a further decent saving off our Sale pricing on the Rega / A 9010 / Bronze 2 - you can also grab the discounted bundle stereo cable deal we offer with that package which gives you decent speakers cable and Premium metal 4MM Banana plugs..

..The other option if you do want to keep and expand your SONOS Setup is to purchase a SONOS Connect ( ZP90) preamp - you can connect a variant of the REGA PLanar - called the Planar 1 Plus into a ZP90 and then that will allow you to hear your REGA across a Sonos network - you can check these items out here:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13371-rega-planar-1-plus-black-turntable-with-phono-amp-built-in.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-10064-sonos-connect-zone-player-zp90.aspx

The combined sale price of the REGA Planar 1 Plus and the Sonos ZP90 is £668 / €748 - we can do them for you at £649 / €739 on a Boardie Bundle deal.

Hope that's helpful but as ever drop us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Thanks so much both for your feedback! I was waiting for pay day before going ahead with the Planar 1, and came back here to check your reccos - now I’m spoiled for choice!

If you were me (on my budget range) what would you do? (1) Planar + amp and old speakers which I could update for better ones in the future (just not for a few more pay days!), (2) that bundle with speakers or (3) Planar plus with sonos connector thing?

The latter is the absolute top end of my budget for now (it’s actually over budget, but if worth it I suppose I can live without food for a while ;) so if I went that route there’d be no additional upgrades planned for a long while. But I do like the thought of being able to play the turntable into my front room too. That said, since turntable playing is a contact sport, maybe just speakers in-room is enough?! And if so, would you go with the speakers that come with the bundle, or save up for an upgrade on my current old ones later in the year??

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks so much both for your feedback! I was waiting for pay day before going ahead with the Planar 1, and came back here to check your reccos - now I’m spoiled for choice!

If you were me (on my budget range) what would you do? (1) Planar + amp and old speakers which I could update for better ones in the future (just not for a few more pay days!), (2) that bundle with speakers or (3) Planar plus with sonos connector thing?

The latter is the absolute top end of my budget for now (it’s actually over budget, but if worth it I suppose I can live without food for a while ;)  so if I went that route there’d be no additional upgrades planned for a long while. But I do like the thought of being able to play the turntable into my front room too. That said, since turntable playing is a contact sport, maybe just speakers in-room is enough?! And if so, would you go with the speakers that come with the bundle, or save up for an upgrade on my current old ones later in the year??
    Hi CamillaRhodes.

It would go either option 2 or 3 depending if you want to stream music and not just for records.
    The A9010 option will give a better sound over the Sonos but the Sonos has many more features and can be control via the Sonos App.

The Bronze 2 speaker quoted for above are fantastic and have a very nice bass response.

It really down to personal preference and what you want to achieve from the system.

Let me know your thoughts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.