Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

365 Online is way too clumsy

Options
  • 28-12-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Why are there so many hoops to getting things done through 365 online. Security features are over the top completely. To simply setup a payee a code is posted manually to your mailing address at which point you can register a phone and then complete the payee setup. This seems like a supremely cumbersome exercise to me and certainly not best in class. I have accounts in international banks and BOI make it so difficult to login and do banking. Time for a brand and process refresh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I use BoI online all the time and have no problems with it. Getting a message to your phone only happens on the first time you add a payee, seems like a reasonable level of security to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jonoc

Definitely do not agree. Reasonable is not waiting for a letter with a code. What if I change numbers in a week. Start all over again? Just send the code to the phone I provide through the portal. What is it all about?
    Again this is to setup a payee - surely this is low risk. After all by this point I've had to enter a username, DOB and rotating digits from a pin.
    Trust me this is not banking made easy.
    I have had an account with a Canadian bank for 15yrs+ on the other hand that only requires a password to enter their banking portal.
    Once in you can setup payees, transfer money seamlessly via email(yep you read correctly). It's all incredibly intuitive.
    BOI online feels like something from 10yrs ago IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I find it absolutely fine, and I'm glad of the security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

jonoc wrote: »
    Definitely do not agree. Reasonable is not waiting for a letter with a code. What if I change numbers in a week. Start all over again? Just send the code to the phone I provide through the portal. What is it all about?
    Again this is to setup a payee - surely this is low risk. After all by this point I've had to enter a username, DOB and rotating digits from a pin.
    Trust me this is not banking made easy.
    I have had an account with a Canadian bank for 15yrs+ on the other hand that only requires a password to enter their banking portal.
    Once in you can setup payees, transfer money seamlessly via email(yep you read correctly). It's all incredibly intuitive.
    BOI online feels like something from 10yrs ago IMO

"Customer challenge" (making you enter additional security codes to verify identity) is one of the changes coming in PSD2 next year.
    Why do you have to post out the code? Ive always gotten a text straight away to set up payee? Is your phone properly registered?

To be honest, I'd be concerned about the level of security on your canadian account. Transfers by email? What happens if your email hacked (very possible) only requires one password to get into.

By the way, setting up a payee is far from low risk....payees set up in a familiar name but with fraudster's bank details is one of the most common methods of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s easy add payee’s.

Who changes number regularly unless you are not paying bills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

jonoc wrote: »
    Why are there so many hoops to getting things done through 365 online. Security features are over the top completely. To simply setup a payee a code is posted manually to your mailing address at which point you can register a phone and then complete the payee setup. This seems like a supremely cumbersome exercise to me and certainly not best in class. I have accounts in international banks and BOI make it so difficult to login and do banking. Time for a brand and process refresh

Hi Jonoc,

Thank you for taking the time to contact is.

Your feedback regarding the process of setting up a payee will be taken on board and forwarded to the relevant area.

Please be assured we are committed to keeping your online banking safe and secure so you can manage your accounts and payments with confidence.

Thanks

John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi Jonoc,

Thank you for taking the time to contact is.

Your feedback regarding the process of setting up a payee will be taken on board and forwarded to the relevant area.

Please be assured we are committed to keeping your online banking safe and secure so you can manage your accounts and payments with confidence.

Thanks

John

Why are BOI not committed to providing an accurate balance for customers?

How can any customer manage their account with confidence when the balance is consistently wrong?

dub45 wrote: »

Why are BOI not committed to providing an accurate balance for customers?

How can any customer manage their account with confidence when the balance is consistently wrong?

Hi dub45,

Happy New Year and thank you for getting in touch.

Thank you for your feedback. At Bank of Ireland we understand the needs of the Technology sector and what we need to do maintain the confidence our customer have in us.

Please be assured in 2019 we are working towards implementing faster and more efficient technology to ensure issues such as lag time between bank holiday payments and delays in actual and pending balance updates especially over the festive period improve for all our customers.

Many Thanks.

John

What exactly is this post supposed to mean in plain English?

Bank of Ireland demonstrably do not understand what they need to do to maintain the confidence of customers. You are consistently unable to provide an accurate balance for customers - an appalling failure on the part of any bank.

You consistently provide inaccurate reasons for this failure - totally unacceptable behavior on the part of any business.

And the failure to provide an accurate balance is an all year issue - and to attempt to attribute it solely to bank holiday times is again deliberately misleading on the part of Bank of Ireland - how do Bank of Ireland management expect customers to have any trust when you consistently behave in this manner and demonstrably do not have the basic competence to provide an accurate balance for customers?

And again I ask:

Could you please answer this question directly and without any PR speak?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Problem I have is that I can only access using DOB. Last 4 digits of my contact number are NEVER acdepted. It means having to force close the app each time and hope a reload is DOB and now contact number.

Is there any move to fingerprint coming soon?

• Advertisement

Bank of Ireland demonstrably do not understand what they need to do to maintain the confidence of customers. You are consistently unable to provide an accurate balance for customers - an appalling failure on the part of any bank.

You consistently provide inaccurate reasons for this failure - totally unacceptable behavior on the part of any business.

And the failure to provide an accurate balance is an all year issue - and to attempt to attribute it solely to bank holiday times is again deliberately misleading on the part of Bank of Ireland - how do Bank of Ireland management expect customers to have any trust when you consistently behave in this manner and demonstrably do not have the basic competence to provide an accurate balance for customers?

And again I ask:

Hi dub45,

Thank you for replying back.

We are sorry to hear you are not happy with our response.

As stated above we will be implementing faster and more efficient technology in 2019 to improve our customers experience - especially around available and pending balances.

If you would like to raise an official complaint please see attached link to our complaints process here -> https://goo.gl/6zeu57

Many Thanks

John

And again I ask:

Hi dub45,

Thank you for replying back.

We are sorry to hear you are not happy with our response.

As stated above we will be implementing faster and more efficient technology in 2019 to improve our customers experience - especially around available and pending balances.

If you would like to raise an official complaint please see attached link to our complaints process here -> https://goo.gl/6zeu57

Many Thanks

John
    How could Bank  of Ireland expect any customer to be happy with the responses you have consistently given to this issue?

You have wrongly blamed retailers when this is clearly a Bank of Ireland issue.

You have consistently not being upfront with customers on this issue - so how can any customer have faith in management on that basis?

This issue has been going on for a number of years and nothing has been done about it.

When  in 2019 will Bank of Ireland be able to provide a basic service which all the other banks appear to have no problem in providing to their customers?

And given the numerous complaints made here and indeed in the media what can any customer expect from making a formal complaint other than more PR speak from BOI?

How could Bank  of Ireland expect any customer to be happy with the responses you have consistently given to this issue?

You have wrongly blamed retailers when this is clearly a Bank of Ireland issue.

You have consistently not being upfront with customers on this issue - so how can any customer have faith in management on that basis?

This issue has been going on for a number of years and nothing has been done about it.

When  in 2019 will Bank of Ireland be able to provide a basic service which all the other banks appear to have no problem in providing to their customers?

And given the numerous complaints made here and indeed in the media what can any customer expect from making a formal complaint other than more PR speak from BOI?

Hi dub45,

The Team here appreciates your views relating to our online banking. Please be assured we will pass on your comments here to our Online Development Team.

Many Thanks

John

Hi dub45,

The Team here appreciates your views relating to our online banking. Please be assured we will pass on your comments here to our Online Development Team.

Many Thanks

John

Again pure PR speak - do your Online Development Team really need to be told that customers require accurate balances and do Bank of Ireland management need to be told that customers expect them to be honest and upfront about this issue?

When in 2019 will customers be able to trust their online balances as being accurate?

Again pure PR speak - do your Online Development Team really need to be told that customers require accurate balances and do Bank of Ireland management need to be told that customers expect them to be honest and upfront about this issue?

When in 2019 will customers be able to trust their online balances as being accurate?

Can I get an answer to these questions please?

Or is it the case that Bank of Ireland are formally refusing to tell customers when we may be able to trust the accuracy of the account balances supplied to us?

Why would any bank consistently refuse to address such a key issue?

Can I get an answer to these questions please?

Or is it the case that Bank of Ireland are formally refusing to tell customers when we may be able to trust the accuracy of the account balances supplied to us?

Why would any bank consistently refuse to address such a key issue?

Hi dub45,

We are sorry you feel we haven't answered your previous questions. However, we have provided you with as much information as we have on hand here.

As previously advised there will be upgrades and improvements to our systems and products in 2019.

Please be advised that as soon as we have any information on these improvements we will update our social media channels and websites to inform our customers.

As we are only at the very beginning of 2019 we would ask you for patience at this time and of course please feel free to contact us with any other queries you may have about our products.

Kind Regards

John

Hi dub45,

We are sorry you feel we haven't answered your previous questions. However, we have provided you with as much information as we have on hand here.

As previously advised there will be upgrades and improvements to our systems and products in 2019.

Please be advised that as soon as we have any information on these improvements we will update our social media channels and websites to inform our customers.

As we are only at the very beginning of 2019 we would ask you for patience at this time and of course please feel free to contact us with any other queries you may have about our products.

Kind Regards

John

It’s not about what I ‘feel’.

Factually Bank of Ireland continue to refuse to answer legitimate questions from customers about what should be a basic competence on the part of any bank - the ability to provide an accurate balance.

In addition BOI are consistently less than frank with customers about the reasons for this.

This is not by any means a recent issue - it has been going on for years - why should any customer trust BOI to come up with an answer any time soon?

And why should any customer be ‘patient’ in respect of such a basic lack of competence on the part of Bank of Ireland?

And what about this statement made to the Irish Times by BOI in 2018?

‘Currently 80 per cent of merchants are reporting back in real time and this is expected to reach 100 per cent by year end which will mean that contactless payments should update in real time.”

Now we are into 2019 - what happened to that expectation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

Hi BOI,

Is their any update on supporting SEPA Instant Credit Transfer:

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Tow wrote: »
    Hi BOI,

Is their any update on supporting SEPA Instant Credit Transfer:

Hi Tow,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We do not have an update in relation to this at the moment. However please be assured if an update becomes available we will certainly advise all customers on our website and social media channels.

Thanks Jen

It’s not about what I ‘feel’.

Factually Bank of Ireland continue to refuse to answer legitimate questions from customers about what should be a basic competence on the part of any bank - the ability to provide an accurate balance.

In addition BOI are consistently less than frank with customers about the reasons for this.

This is not by any means a recent issue - it has been going on for years - why should any customer trust BOI to come up with an answer any time soon?

And why should any customer be ‘patient’ in respect of such a basic lack of competence on the part of Bank of Ireland?

And what about this statement made to the Irish Times by BOI in 2018?

‘Currently 80 per cent of merchants are reporting back in real time and this is expected to reach 100 per cent by year end which will mean that contactless payments should update in real time.”

Now we are into 2019 - what happened to that expectation?

Can I please get a response from Bank of Ireland to the very many and very basic questions I have asked here?

As I keep asking asking why would any bank refuse to provide answers to questions about their inability to provide a correct balance to customers?

Telling customers to be patient in the hope that something may happen in the future is totally unacceptable and totally unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The solution is technical and the problem cannot be explained by branch and business staff. The IT people are waiting for the new computer system to get rid of the issue. Should be delivered in another 3 years 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The solution is technical and the problem cannot be explained by branch and business staff. The IT people are waiting for the new computer system to get rid of the issue. Should be delivered in another 3 years 

Ive heard a rumour that BOI have abandoned the new planned core banking system provided by Temenos very recently....any info?

368100 wrote: »

Ive heard a rumour that BOI have abandoned the new planned core banking system provided by Temenos very recently....any info?
    No. I'd be surprised though if this were to happen. Would not be a good move. The bank needs to overhaul it's legacy systems 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

This is from the June 30th report:
    Our investment in technology, replacing legacy systems with simpler, state of the art technology, and improving our digital channels, services and security, is designed to support how our customers bank today and into the future. Phase 1 of our core banking programme was completed in April 2018, delivering a single customer record for over 2 million customers across all products. We expect to deliver our first end-to-end use of the Temenos platform with a pilot phase test launch of our personal loan and deposit origination later this year.

Was there not a project about 20 years ago to have one record per customer?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    This is from the June 30th report:
    Our investment in technology, replacing legacy systems with simpler, state of the art technology, and improving our digital channels, services and security, is designed to support how our customers bank today and into the future. Phase 1 of our core banking programme was completed in April 2018, delivering a single customer record for over 2 million customers across all products. We expect to deliver our first end-to-end use of the Temenos platform with a pilot phase test launch of our personal loan and deposit origination later this year.

Was there not a project about 20 years ago to have one record per customer?
    Yes. Was never fully implemented, I don't believe. There have been several goes at it 

Whatever the solution may be there is no excuse whatsoever for the ongoing failure of Bank of Ireland to be honest and open with customers about their inability to provide an accurate balance. Surely honesty is the very least that a customer should be entitled to expect from any business but especially a bank? And as Bank of Ireland cannot provide an accurate reliable balance for customers (and apparently have no idea when they will be able to do so) customers should be told this.

Advertisement