Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC not working

Options
  • 29-12-2018 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi just wondering, I have an old Dell Inspiron pc, had it for ages no bother with it, but, had it stored away for the past 3 years, went to turn it on today and it won't load up into windows.
    Error warnings etc.
    Floppy diskette seek failure. I went into BIOS and turned floppy diskette off, but still not loading. Tried taking the small battery out on motherboard but still the same.

Maybe hard drives done🙄 Tried f12 diagnostics on hard drive and it said pass. Any hints etc welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Boot the PC with a Live CD/DVD and check if the hardware is all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Reseat all connections on mb - power, sata, ram etc. Try replacing the cmos battery - CR2032.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭buzzing147

FanadMan wrote: »
    Reseat all connections on mb - power, sata, ram etc. Try replacing the cmos battery - CR2032.

Cheers yea might be the battery, the date on computer is 2007 so maybe battery dead

FanadMan wrote: »
    buzzing147 wrote: »
    Cheers yea might be the battery, the date on computer is 2007 so maybe battery dead

I would be surprised if it is the battery ...... you can get into BIOS and do any settings you wish there without a battery.

I would be surprised if it is the battery ...... you can get into BIOS and do any settings you wish there without a battery.

Got into windows yesterday changed a few things in bios to off, and it worked, but turned on PC again today and date is back to 2007 and not getting past the start up error screen again

• Advertisement

Got into windows yesterday changed a few things in bios to off, and it worked, but turned on PC again today and date is back to 2007 and not getting past the start up error screen again

That means the battery is dead, and is not retaining the changes you made to BIOS.

So there is nothing wrong with the PC, it boots ok, after you apply changes to BIOS to suit your hardware.

You just need to replace the battery. ;)

That means the battery is dead, and is not retaining the changes you made to BIOS.

So there is nothing wrong with the PC, it boots ok, after you apply changes to BIOS to suit your hardware.

You just need to replace the battery. ;)

Ok cheers😊 can you get them small cmos battery's in a computer shop?

Ok cheers�� can you get them small cmos battery's in a computer shop?

I usually get packets of various sizes for a couple of euros in Dealz or such.
    Just make sure the packet has a couple of the correct numbered ones ..

CR2032 3V Lithium Button Batteries in all the motherboards I have seen, but check the one that comes out of the board.

BTW, at times the battery just gets a film on it preventing it from working, and a good hard wipe with a rough cloth has been known to get them working again for a short time :)

I usually get packets of various sizes for a couple of euros in Dealz or such.
    Just make sure the packet has a couple of the correct numbered ones ..

CR2032 3V Lithium Button Batteries in all the motherboards I have seen, but check the one that comes out of the board.

BTW, at times the battery just gets a film on it preventing it from working, and a good hard wipe with a rough cloth has been known to get them working again for a short time :)

Cheers, pc working fine now, bought new 3v lithium battery for motherboard, I guess the 3 years of non use and the old one died, computer now starting fine and keeping the settings and time etc

Thanks

Advertisement