Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo travel to Copenhagen

Options
  • 29-12-2018 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi
    I’m thinking of taking a city break by myself to a Copenhagen as it seems to be getting rave travel reviews.
    I’m not too fussed about dates but I was thinking March/April time and was wondering were there flights from Shannon but I reckon Dublin will be my only choice.
    Also accommodation is it best to do Airbnb or hostel or even try for budget hotel?
    Is it an expensive city, what couple of things should I try to explore and I know Copenhagen is famous for its food and high end restaurant.
    Basically anything that may be on or even off the tourist track 😂
    Apologies for my rambling post
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

pebbletroy wrote: »
    Hi
    I’m thinking of taking a city break by myself to a Copenhagen as it seems to be getting rave travel reviews.
    I’m not too fussed about dates but I was thinking March/April time and was wondering were there flights from Shannon but I reckon Dublin will be my only choice.
    Also accommodation is it best to do Airbnb or hostel or even try for budget hotel?
    Is it an expensive city, what couple of things should I try to explore and I know Copenhagen is famous for its food and high end restaurant.
    Basically anything that may be on or even off the tourist track 😂
    Apologies for my rambling post
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

I've never been to Copenhagen but Nordic cities in general are stupidly expensive.

You'll probably have to through Dublin. If you're on your own, not only is a hostel recommended because it's cheaper but it's recommended so you can meet other people to go for dinner with/have a beer with.

Other than that, I'll leave it up to people who have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

From my own experience in November of last year.

Hotels: Very expensive so worth looking at AirBnB. I’ll be going back in June and being quoted five star prices for two star accommodation although there is an event on while I’m there. Some awful looking dumps too with shared bathrooms which seem quite common.

Nightlife: Plenty of bars. If you want to pay a tenner for a pint you’ll be accommodated in plenty of places but you can also find bars charging around the €5/6 mark if you look. Keep an eye out for happy hours.

Sights: The Little Mermaid didn’t particularly appeal to me and the locals I talked to seem to feel the same so I skipped that. Nyhavn and the harbour area are nice to walk around. Would also recommend an hour or two in Christiania...Google it if you’ve never heard of it. Tivoli was closed while I was there but have heard good things.

Transport: Train from the airport takes about 15/20 minutes for about €6 IIRC. Taxi was about €35 I think but not 100% certain as we had an early flight and was half asleep and pretty much just spending the leftover cash. Trams and buses in the city itself but it’s walkable, very flat..everyone seems to cycle everywhere.

Food: To be honest I was on a beer weekend so pretty much just ate junk so can’t tell you.

Safety: No real hassle or areas that look too dodgy in city centre but plenty of annoying ladies of the night around the station area who need to be told “no thanks” more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hostel was perfectly fine a few years ago.

It is an expensive country, accommodation, transport and food & drink.
    You can come across Happy Hours in pubs.

Copenhagen had a small city feel. Wasn't massively impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Would recommend a hostel myself. I stayed in one called Urban House a few years back for one night and it was newly opened at the time, modern, clean and all rooms have en-suites, very central too, about 5mins or less walk from main train station. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm and it was perfect, looking at about €33 a night in March or €100 if you have to have a private room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Stayed in Generator on a previous trip, was grand and nice vibe in the place which would be great if you're on your own. It is expensive, no doubt about it, there's a lidl around the corner from the Generator and you could get some food and beers in there.
    There's a great food hall place with street food type vendors that was worth a visit. [edit: just seen it's closed but replacement one mentioned here - http://cphpost.dk/news/island-hopping-refshaleoen-to-succeed-papiroen-as-host-of-copenhagen-street-food.html ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I stayed in an AirBnb there last Nov, it was perfect, it's expensive like most Scandinavian countries, but not as expensive as Stockholm IMO. They have good public transport and the Copenhagen card lets you use the metro, bus and regional trains (within a certain radius anyway) I found it worth it. It's a nice city to walk around, Tivoil Gardens were open but it was Christmas Markets so I can't speak to how good they are the rest of the year but at Christmas they are amazing, so many lights!! it was really beautiful.
    Would recommend a trip out to Roskilde (less than an hour by train and included in your Copenhagen card) it's a beautiful town, in a Fjord nice to stroll around and get lunch, with all the usual stuff like a town hall town square, Cathedral. They also have a great Viking museum there, and a ship building yard where they build boats using viking techniques you can watch them work and during spring and summer they'll take you out on a longboat into the Fjord (sadly I missed that due to time of year). Would also recommend the aquarium!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I recommend the boat trip, as you get a different view of the city, and get close up to great modern buldings such as the Opera House and the "Black Diamond" library. You also get to see the Little Mermaid (I was glad that saved me the trek as it looked underwhelming).

Several Companies depart from Nyhavn. I just walked up and bought a ticket.
    Some are free with the Copenhagen card (which I did not have).
    https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/sightseeing/boat-tours

On Sunday I took one of the Danish brunch deals (don't remember where, as it was a few years back) and it was worth it.

Advertisement