Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop random ads

Options
  • 29-12-2018 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

My laptop was running slow and after some research I installed ccleaner. Now I'm getting random pop-up ads on various websites and on the desktop when I'm not even browsing (see attached). Although the laptop is no longer slow, I now realise that I should have been more thorough in my research. To fix the problem I've completed a system restore and uninstalled all programs from the last week - all without any luck as the pop-ups are still appearing. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Sounds like some adware.

I would recommend the following providing that your on Windows.

Open Control Panel and uninstall any unused and suspicious programs.

Also open Ccleaner and disable all startup items.

Lastly ensure your antivirus is up to date and complete a full scan of the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Sounds like some adware.

I would recommend the following providing that your on Windows.
    Open Control Panel and uninstall any unused and suspicious programs.
    Also open Ccleaner and disable all startup items.
    Lastly ensure your antivirus is up to date and complete a full scan of the computer

Thanks. I uninstalled all suspicious programs and somehow managed to get rid of ads (think they were Google related). I couldn't find ccleaner so maybe I uninstalled it earlier. Now the laptop is sluggish again. I've never installed an antivirus - except for McAfee (but never again). Thinking now that the ads might be an unwelcome solution. Unless anyone has another idea? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Install uBlock Origin for all browsers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

Logo wrote: »
    My laptop was running slow and after some research I installed ccleaner. Now I'm getting random pop-up ads on various websites and on the desktop when I'm not even browsing (see attached). Although the laptop is no longer slow, I now realise that I should have been more thorough in my research. To fix the problem I've completed a system restore and uninstalled all programs from the last week - all without any luck as the pop-ups are still appearing. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks
    Did you uninstall cc cleaaner?
    google cc cleaner adware. some versions of cc cleaner have adware for avast which is its parent company. It may have other ads too. i never liked it. and that registry cleaning is just a gimmick. get rid of ccleaner and get malwarebytes . Go through all you programs. Did you download any other 'free' programs.
    Do you use any 'free' anti virus.

Don't ever think ads are a solution to a slow pc. there is some reason it is slow and installing adware is not the answer. What make is it. What CPU? How much RAM?

Before downloading anything in future do a search [name of program] adware to see if there is any adware connection. Always download a program from its home page. some sites bundle ads with an installer of a fee program

Some of the 'free' antiviruses have browser add on to that are little more than adware

Malwarebytes finds this stuff that isn't technically a virus. That and windows defender has always done me well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

Malwarebytes finds this stuff that isn't technically a virus. That and windows defender has always done me well.
    it does nothave any ads. and you can tell it to ignore any program you wish

Advertisement