Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Certified iPhone Chargers

• 29-12-2018 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

do the cheap iphone cables that are in Dealz or Euro giant, etc mess up the battery on iphone and ipad

my iphone is 4.5 years old and the battery is 50% capacity and is probably due to be replaced, will cheap cables mess up a new battery if they are not apple certified

also does the USB plug make any difference or is it just the cable

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I got my daughters battery replaced as it was bulging out of the screen on a 6s and was told it was definitely due to cheap chargers
    We now use the Amazon own brand ones - not cheap as dealz but cheaper than apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I only allow RavPower, Anker, or original apple chargers and cables to be used on any of my devices. Anything else you are risking the device and risking overheating of the charging cable or plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Maggiesm70 wrote: »
    .... does the USB plug make any difference or is it just the cable

The cable is a completely passive element in the connection, all it does is pass a current. It's the plug that matters and specifically the voltage that it passes down the cable. That in turn determines how many amps passes through the device and the battery and that's what really matters.

To answer your original question, I'd be careful buying cables in pound shops for the simple reason that the connectors could be poor quality so you could end up with a broken connector getting stuck in the plug or in the phone itself.

Lidl often sell USB cables for Apple and Android devices, I have one and its pretty good quality. But I'd stick to Apple-approved charger plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is it safe to use the plug and cable that comes with an iPad to use on an iPhone and vice versa ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pad199207 wrote: »
    Is it safe to use the plug and cable that comes with an iPad to use on an iPhone and vice versa ?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

3DataModem wrote: »
    I only allow RavPower, Anker, or original apple chargers and cables to be used on any of my devices. Anything else you are risking the device and risking overheating of the charging cable or plug.

I’m the same. Only use these. They are excellent value as well.
    We pay so much for our products. What’s the point on cheaping out on crappy peripherals.
    When you hear of all them charger fires. It’s all because of the cheap ones.

Advertisement