Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant noise from the restaurant's fans downstairs (12 hr a day )

• 29-12-2018 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello,

I live right above a restaurant in my building (renting). My living room and bedroom are
    right above the kitchen of the restaurant. I have been living in the apartment for about 5 years and never had an issue.

Recently the restaurant cleaned their fans and apparently now they suck a lot more air and are noisy. The noise is constant as the place works from 12 to 12 every single day.

The level of the noise is not very loud, however it is constant and you can hear it all throughout the apartment. You can actually feel the walls trembling a bit from the fans running underneath my floor. I miss the days when it was all quiet...

I am not from Ireland and I am not sure what my rights are.

How can I approach this situation the right way, before me and my girlfriend go crazy?

The whole building is managed by a property company.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What hours are the fans on? Also, does this happen 7 days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 theknightbg

the_syco wrote: »
    What hours are the fans on? Also, does this happen 7 days a week?

7 Days a week, 12 hours a day from noon to midnight, without pause. The noise gets louder when they are busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Escapees

Have been in the same situation as the OP.

Some advice:
    1) Approach the restaurant owner directly and invite them into your apartment to hear the noise for themselves. Explain that it was never like this before... Your landlord probably won't really care about the fixing the problem as they get a much higher rent from the restaurant and will find someone who will put up with it...
    2) Often the fans are not maintained or the ducting properly mounted and this causes lots of vibration and probably most of the noise. Take this approach when talking to the restaurant owner - it is not the extractor fans running that is the issue but the fact that they or the ducting is vibrating a lot - I.e. something is wrong with the system and needs to be fixed!
    3) Restaurant kitchens can sometimes just run the fans at full speed when there is no need to - it can make a huge difference with noise if they are turned down a notch!
    4) Worst case scenario, try wax earplugs...

Really, keep in mind all the time that it was never like this before and you have never complained. The restaurant has changed something and created this problem, not you.

Advertisement