Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Site Access

• 29-12-2018 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all. We own land and are looking for access to a certain portion of it.

It adjoins a road but only on one corner. Literally a single pailing post. See attached photo. Our land being in the red and the road in height with the neighbors land in green.

So to get any sort of access to it I would need to speak to the neighbors.

My question is, given that it fronts the road, albeit a very small amount, do we have any rights of access?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Dubsey
    what is the width of the actual road frontage at this corner?
    What is the status of the road?
    Unless there was a long established entrance here you will have major difficulties with the planning authority
    If you wish I could seek to transfer your query to the Planning forum
    Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

nuac wrote: »
    Dubsey
    what is the width of the actual road frontage at this corner?
    What is the status of the road?
    Unless there was a long established entrance here you will have major difficulties with the planning authority
    If you wish I could seek to transfer your query to the Planning forum
    Mod

Hi.

I believe it is classified as an L road.

Attached is a photo showing condition and width etc.

The corner of the land just meets the roadside here so theoretically no frontage. Hence the need for a chat with the neighbors.

I wouldn’t have thought that there would be any major planning problems?

Thanks.

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hi.

I believe it is classified as an L road.

Attached is a photo showing condition and width etc.

The corner of the land just meets the roadside here so theoretically no frontage. Hence the need for a chat with the neighbors.

I wouldn’t have thought that there would be any major planning problems?

Thanks.

Photo attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Afaik the only obligation on neighbours to provide access is if the land is land locked which by the sounds of your post it isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭louis346789

Please attach or link the photos

There was an exemption for field gate unto road of less than 5m wide I think. Not sure still applies

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nuac wrote: »

That simply not true. There are many issues to consider such as the land take, development plans etc etc but if you can show safe access there should be no issues.

Employee a professional and dont listen to randomeers on the internet and the OP will have a strong case if the neighbours sell some land

Trying to post the photos again.

Sorry. Photos to large to post and not somewhere I can reduce them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Moved to Construction and Planning. I believe this is primarily a planning matter

If you do manage to post photos do not include anything that was identify the plot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

No rights of access. Planners cannot grant permission over lands that is not in your holding, unless adjoining land owner grants permission for access, you will have to look at alternative. Also, to gain adequate sightlines, probability is that remedial works would be required to neighbouring properties ditches. Same landowner own both adjoining folios?
    Where is the established access for this field, can this not be used?

Hi.

The only other access is a good distance away and the only mode of transport that would currently be able to traverse it would be a track machine (digger, etc.) due to the condition of the land and a steep incline.

I think the answer is to speak with the adjoining landowners to try to agree a right of way/easement.

I don’t think that an easement by necessity applies in this situation as the land is not land locked.

Thanks.

Planning exemption is onto a road of maximum 4 m width not 5m as my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Planning exemption is onto a road of maximum 4 m width not 5m as my previous post.

I read this as not being an automatic planning exemption more-so if there is planning already on the site and you want to amend the granted permission, i.e. you cant just form an entrance. This would be open season in the countryside.

9.1(a)(iii) goes on to state "endanger public safety by reason of traffic
    hazard or obstruction of road users"
    . On this logic you would need to satisfy the roads department that it is not a hazard initially.

My understanding of it is that you can make a new entrance onto a roadway of maximum 4 m width to facilitate a development that is an exempted development under the act .
    E.g. a farmer who builds an exempted animal shed in a field can open such an entrance to facilitate this development.

The act is silent on the requirements regarding road safety, width of access, sightlines etc.

Its 30 years since I dealt with these some am a bit hazy on the full details.

Hi,

So I’ve met the neighbors and they have agreed to the easement (right of way) on their land on the basis of us covering all legal costs which I think is very reasonable.

Thanks all for the input.

D.

Advertisement