Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Guinness the real loser of the drink-at-home trend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I've been a Guinness drinker for many decades. Am I the only one who (accidently) discovered that the can of Guinness tastes and looks better when you pour it out of the can as fast as possible in one go? I open the tab and tip it upside down in the glass, lifting it up as it glugs out. Settles lovely after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I've been a Guinness drinker for many decades. Am I the only one who (accidently) discovered that the can of Guinness tastes and looks better when you pour it out of the can as fast as possible in one go? I open the tab and tip it upside down in the glass, lifting it up as it glugs out. Settles lovely after that

thats how its meant to be poured. At least, thats the instructions given on the side of the can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Actually, is a bottle of Guinness vs draught just that one is carbonated and one has nitrogen, and that's the only difference? Same recipe?
    Yep.
    And it effects the taste that much?
    Yep. Carbon dioxide propels flavour out of the beer and into the drinker. Nitrogen locks it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McCrack

sasta le wrote: »
    I laugh at people saying this pub has great Gunniess shut its all the same product in every pub

Yes but how it's stored and delivered (from the keg to the tap) varies between pubs hence differences

Guinness delivered with the shortest draw from the keg, and poured correctly and at the right temperature tastes better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    Edit: Actually, is a bottle of Guinness vs draught just that one is carbonated and one has nitrogen, and that's the only difference? Same recipe? And it effects the taste that much? I know loads of Guinness drinkers who couldn't drink a bottle of it.
    Yep.

Guinness website leaves a little ambiguity with regards to that question, imo.
    https://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/faq#

DOES GUINNESS® DRAUGHT USE THE SAME BREWING RECIPE AS EXTRA STOUT?
    There's no point messing with perfection, which is why the recipes for Guinness Draught and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout are very similar in all aspects. Guinness Draught is dispensed using a mixture of nitrogen and carbon dioxide to produce the famous tight creamy head, while Guinness Foreign Extra Stout has more carbonation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

I can not believe this is even a discussion. A draught guinness is far superior to a can in my opinion. The difference between a draught guinness from pub to pub however, is negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Edit: Actually, is a bottle of Guinness vs draught just that one is carbonated and one has nitrogen, and that's the only difference? Same recipe? And it effects the taste that much? I know loads of Guinness drinkers who couldn't drink a bottle of it.

Well the drop in pressure in the can when its opened causes the widget to break its seal and inject the now higher than the can internal pressure nitrogen into the guinness, which can be heard happening, giving it the pub like head and texture etc.

Years ago they had a sort of syringe out to allow a head be created on the cans/bottles of guinness if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Del2005 wrote: »
    You must be storing and pouring your cans wrong. I've gotten the same quality head from a can as a pub and usually a more consistent quality from the can.

Reminds me of person I worked with who wouldn't drink milk out of the plastic cartoons because they don't like the taste of plastic, they couldn't understand that the cardboard milk cartoons are plastic lined.

Plastic milk is vile and the work of the devil

Bruthal wrote: »
    Years ago they had a sort of syringe out to allow a head be created on the cans/bottles of guinness if i remember correctly.

They also have a weird vibrating "surger" unit installed in some pubs in Britain. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. They've basically built a fake tap tower which the bartender puts a freshly poured can on and it's supposed to recreate the nitro pour.

guinn.jpg?w=330&h=232

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cans of Guinness are great (didn't the widget win a BBC poll on best invention of the last millennium?), but my biggest problem is that the cans are 500ml, and all the Guinness glasses I've nicked from pubs are pint glasses. That gap at the top does my head in.

A possible reason why people don't enjoy their cans so much; be careful not to wash your glasses in the dishwasher, or with too much detergent or soap. Ruins the head and makes it taste much more watery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del2005 wrote: »

Reminds me of person I worked with who wouldn't drink milk out of the plastic cartoons because they don't like the taste of plastic, they couldn't understand that the cardboard milk cartoons are plastic lined.

The difference with milk cartons is that UV - which does penetrate PET bottles - damages milk over time. This was one of the main reasons the cartons were invented in the first place, seeing as glass bottles already existed

I did market research on that surger years ago. I think I was even sent a mini one as they did flog them to punters for a while

Cans of Guinness are great (didn't the widget win a BBC poll on best invention of the last millennium?), but my biggest problem is that the cans are 500ml, and all the Guinness glasses I've nicked from pubs are pint glasses. That gap at the top does my head in.

They have 500ml glasses in gift packs from time to time, I'm not a fan of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭eskerman

I have been drinking Guinness for many years ( light moderate drinker) and I have to say I find the cans to be very good - never had a "bad" one and they are consistent. Too many pubs that claim to serve the "best" pint - for me the best pint is from a nicely chilled can and poured steady - and consumed in my man-cave.. with some decent music (vinyl of course) playing in the background. I will however support my local and pop down for the odd one on the high stool

Happy New Year and cheers

P

A can of draught guinness in a stout glass at home is pretty much the same as the one you get in the pub. Don't tell me otherwise. I'm a craft beer drinker (whatever that means: I just like good beer) but I've drank Guinness all over Dublin and the country for years and still do.

The only difference is the mystical marketing and a barman not doing the really really really essential two-part pour.

The mythical idea that pint quality of the highest selling porter in the country (with a zealous quality deperatment) varies greatly from pub to pub is largely illusory. If it's a half decently ran pub, the pints are generally the same. The rest is all Ronnie Drew Folklore bollocks about a Great Pint Of Plain.

Wrong on so many levels. Also, the two part pour is the only mystical bollocks associated with Guinness. Here's a challenge: Ask the barman to pour two pints next time you're in your local. One normal and one full pour. I guarantee you even the most seasoned garglers will be 50/50 on identifying which is which.

An old barfly in my local told me once that it stems from the days before modern refrigeration and kegging techniques were developed. Open barrels would spoil in the heat and be that little bit more stale. So enterprising barmen would have a 'fresh' barrel on the go and use that to top up the older stuff in the glass from the first pour so that, for the first few sups at least, it tastes great. No idea of the veracity, but try the blindfolded taste test in a group and see what the results are.
    The best pints of plain invariably being in Mulligans or Grogans are because we want them to be, given how historical those superb Dublin boozers are and the history therein. I myself have supped in Grogans on and off for nearly 30 years.

The pints are pretty much the same there as in tallaght or Leitrim though.

Have you been in Mulligans lately? The old bar staff bought the place and retired, installing a load of minimum wage staff who are brutal at their job. Loads of overpriced "Mulligan's" tat for sale hanging on the walls etc. It's a far cry from its glory days. Last time I was there, Guinness drinkers were in the minority. I realised why as I walked out the door leaving a half full pint on the bar.

On topic: Cans of Guinness are much more watery than most draught pints, certainly in Ireland. Actually, cans remind me of pints you'd get in an English bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The head is different from the can to draught in a pub.
    I feel the flavour is a lot rounder, creamier in a pub too.

You absolutely can get a good and bad guinness in different pubs. I'm not saying the 2 part pour is necessary or anything but there can be variance in the flavor between pubs.

An old barfly in my local told me once that it stems from the days before modern refrigeration and kegging techniques were developed. Open barrels would spoil in the heat and be that little bit more stale. So enterprising barmen would have a 'fresh' barrel on the go and use that to top up the older stuff in the glass from the first pour so that, for the first few sups at least, it tastes great. No idea of the veracity, but try the blindfolded taste test in a group and see what the results are.

Close, but the two part pour came from the days of cask beers. The older casks would have conditioned more, so have more flavour, whilst the newer casks would have a little more carbonation to them. Good video on it below. There is not a hope in hell that a blindfolded person could tell the difference between the taste of a one pour or two poured pint of draught Guinness these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

The two part pour is hogwash. Guinness cans have improved immeasurably since the introduction of the widget. They are close to but not as good as a pint served by tap. Guinness is delicious. End of discussion. Go and have whatever variant is more convenient right now.

EDIT: Yes the can should be poured inverted, quickly and in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

That's how I pour mine they are perfect every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Wrong on so many levels. Also, the two part pour is the only mystical bollocks associated with Guinness. Here's a challenge: Ask the barman to pour two pints next time you're in your local. One normal and one full pour. I guarantee you even the most seasoned garglers will be 50/50 on identifying which is which.

Have you been in Mulligans lately? The old bar staff bought the place and retired, installing a load of minimum wage staff who are brutal at their job. Loads of overpriced "Mulligan's" tat for sale hanging on the walls etc. It's a far cry from its glory days. Last time I was there, Guinness drinkers were in the minority. I realised why as I walked out the door leaving a half full pint on the bar.

On topic: Cans of Guinness are much more watery than most draught pints, certainly in Ireland. Actually, cans remind me of pints you'd get in an English bar.

I already know about the history of the two-part pour. It was only retained for modern Guinness for marketing and to conform to people's notions of how stout was poured.

I think the points I was making, albeit in a bit of flowery way, was just that Guinness is one of the most rigidly controlled mass-market drinks out there and that the idea that pint 'quality' varies radically from pub to pub is more a romantic perception than fact. As is the taste difference between widget cans and draught Guiness for me. It's all part of the perception around one of the most romaticised alcoholic drinks in the world.

These kinds of discussions are opinion-based at the end of the day, and destined to be circuitious and unresolved no matter how forcefully people decide to pepper their posts with credos like 'End Of Discusion' and 'XY is Different Because It Just Is' or 'XY is Watery'.

Just enjoy the beer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Been drinking Guinness for 20yrs + (edit; not non-stop)

In my experience, if you take a room temperature can and lash it into a pint glass, raising the can slowly up as the glass fills (be careful as it may overflow), you will get a lovely large creamy head and be able to taste the drink properly. Repeating the same pour from a can that has been in the fridge for a couple of days and is quite cold, the head won't be as thick as the taste is quite muted.

With my liking being able to taste the guinness, a thick head, and a bit of chill, I usually leave a can in the fridge (turned up to max) for an hour before drinking. Perfect balance for my taste.

Guinness quality can vary from pub to pub, and sometimes even from day to day in the same pub. Not sure why. But when they're nice, they're better than the cans.

Cans are consistently very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Keep them out of the fridge and they're fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭worded

rob316 wrote: »
    Always liked the cans of Guinness. 45 degree pour slowly, leave to settle a few minutes and it's pretty good.

When you pull the can ring are you meant to wait a few seconds before pouring or does that par make any difference ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i read this thread the other day, and wanted to have a guinnesss.

I read it again today and wanted to have a guinness.

All this thread has done is make me want to have a guinness. I have got nothing from it other than a yearning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jetsonx wrote: »
    Is Guinness (stout) the real loser of the drink-at-home trend?
    I don't know whether their a loser, but I've really gone off nitro pints (be that Guinness or independents going down that route). If I have a Guinness in the pub now, I go for the large bottle - from the fridge not the shelf. If I can get it in the pub at all - I've been laughed out of a few places for asking.

I wouldn't think of Guinness at all for at home - O'Hara's Leann Folláin is my favourite stout. Quite possibly my favourite beer.
    BeerNut wrote:
    Diageo picks that back up on cans of Carlsberg, Budweiser and Rockshore.
    My understanding is that the whole pushing of Rockshore and HopHouse 13 is so they can save the Licencing fees on the larger brands they don't own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Ronney

Folks why bring Arthur to the mountain...

Always thought about getting a home tap of Guinness. Has anyone ever set up something permanently?

Be interested to see a break down on the costs

Initial cost is a bit I guess, Taps/cooler/connectors etc.

What are the running costs for Gas?

You can get small kegs of Guinness on line for

€120 - 20L - €3.40/p
    €150 - 30L - €2.80/p
    €220 - 50L - €2.50/p

Anyone know how long an open keg lasts for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

thats how its meant to be poured. At least, thats the instructions given on the side of the can.

The instructions say pour slowly at a 45 degree angle, not upside down as fast as possible. I only discovered the latter myself recently too; way less faff and still a great pour.

I think the cans are great, definitely my go-to drink-at-home cans since my palate realised that all the usual lagers taste like bland piss. As for the difference in draught pints between pubs, I definitely get a slightly weird after-taste in some pubs over others, but reading this thread now it's hard to know whether its something wrong with me or its the pint itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Guinness is easily one of the most consistently good drinks from a can.

I regularly encounter ropey cans of Heineken, Carlsberg, Hop House and other lagers. I've never had a bad can of Guinness.

I think the points I was making, albeit in a bit of flowery way, was just that Guinness is one of the most rigidly controlled mass-market drinks out there and that the idea that pint 'quality' varies radically from pub to pub is more a romantic perception than fact. As is the taste difference between widget cans and draught Guiness for me. It's all part of the perception around one of the most romaticised alcoholic drinks in the world.

The bolded bit above is the most crucial part. This is the first time you've put forward your statement as your opinion (which you quite clearly are more than entitled to do). Previously, you basically were saying "Every pint, in every tap, in every pub is identical and all that stuff about good/bad pints is rubbish".

This is clearly and demonstrably untrue.

I've had different quality pints in the bar/lounge of pubs, from different barmen from the same tap, and even from different taps behind the same bar. I take your point (pint?) about the quality control etc, and nobody is doubting that certain pubs are getting better kegs from the brewery, or anything like that. But there's more to a decent pint than attaching it to the tap and away you go. Storage, temperature, cleanliness of the pipes, the pint glass itself, the skill of the barman, the run on the taps, the distance between keg and glass etc. all come into play.

I used to drink in Fairview quite a bit and one day I had a pint in Cole's (which was called Smyth's at the time but is now the Brú House) and it was served in an Amstel glass. You could make out the imperfections in the glass as there were mini pockets of head collecting around and under them on the interior of the glass. When I asked about getting a pint in a Guinness glass he told me they had none. It was a brutal pint, never really settled properly and was quite bitter. To compare something like that to what you'd get handed in the Gravediggers is laughable.

One of the lads told me to report it to the quality control team but I just voted with my wallet and never went back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cheers lads. All your fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The smaller or Coke size can as I call it is nice. The large can tastes the exact same as Guinness in an Irish bar abroad.
    The quality of Guinness in pubs is at an all time low.

Advertisement