Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleeced with fuel prices

• 29-12-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Are people aware that filling stations in Mayo, defo in castlebar area are ripping motorist off with pump prices. Diesel 1.36, and even 1.39.
    I was expecting a drop in the recent weeks as the price of oil has collapsed globally. and it never really materialised around castlebar.

Then in the passed 2 days I've been to Donegal town and no pump above 1.29 and I filled up for 1.26.

Just back from Galway where I saw the same low prices, and even 1.23.

Circle K which is Topaz and top oil, all mid to low 1.20s

Completely ripped off here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

P_Cash wrote: »
    Are people aware that filling stations in Mayo, defo in castlebar area are ripping motorist off with pump prices. Diesel 1.36, and even 1.39.
    I was expecting a drop in the recent weeks as the price of oil has collapsed globally. and it never really materialised around castlebar.

Then in the passed 2 days I've been to Donegal town and no pump above 1.29 and I filled up for 1.26.

Just back from Galway where I saw the same low prices, and even 1.23.

Circle K which is Topaz and top oil, all mid to low 1.20s

Completely ripped off here.

Diesel in Ballina 124 the last two weeks. Castlebar motorists getting rode for years now at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Diesel and petrol are 129.9 in Cosgraves castlebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

mayota wrote: »
    Diesel in Ballina 124 the last two weeks. Castlebar motorists getting rode for years now at this stage.

Fuel has always been more expensive in castlebar, usually 5 cent a liter cheaper in Ballina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Westport cheaper than Castlebar by 2-3 cent a litre but still way off Ballina prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Cosgraves,westport Rd,Castlebar are always at least 5 cent cheaper than the rip offs in town.Passed by the other night and saw they were 129.9,Westport were 135.9 (the one at supermacs) same night while the Town pumps in Castlebar were 135 and 139!
    The world price of oil does NOT affect Castlebar at all at all!

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »

Jones's Ballina is always cheapest for diesel but only open 9-4 mon-fri and I think a half day in saturday. Apple green in foxford should be sound now but was also a place that was hit with the dying petrol engines a couple years back fyi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I usually get mine at the Depot in claremorris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Down to 1.29 Westport rd

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the1eyedsnake

Definitely some cartel activity going on in castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Definitely some cartel activity going on in castlebar.

and Ballinrobe.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

and Ballinrobe.....:mad:

Ballinrobe is a disaster for fuel. Always has been. I live close by and never ever get fuel there. I don't believe in the "shop local" theory. It's up to the businesses to be competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

The Store in Ballintubber is bucking the trend for the line between Ballinrobe and Westport, €1.27 for diesel and €1.29 for petrol today. Hollymount is usually a good bit cheaper than Ballinrobe too - more in line with Claremorris prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

y. Apple green in foxford should be sound now but was also a place that was hit with the dying petrol engines a couple years back fyi.

that was before apple green took it over, but have had pretty good prices for last 3 years ,

John mac wrote: »
    that was before apple green took it over, but have had pretty good prices for last 3 years ,

Yeah, that was before applegreen alright. Their prices have always been decent. Hard to beat Hughes or Jones oil in Ballina, 122.9 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Good news. Apple Green opening opposite the Sacred Heart Hospital. I remember a garage there but it must be almost 20 years ago now if not more. This should help with a bit of Compton as Apple Green are usually one of the cheaper filling stations

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/01/06/4167331-applegreen-is-on-the-way-/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dudda wrote: »
    Good news. Apple Green opening opposite the Sacred Heart Hospital. I remember a garage there but it must be almost 20 years ago now if not more. This should help with a bit of Compton as Apple Green are usually one of the cheaper filling stations

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/01/06/4167331-applegreen-is-on-the-way-/

Strangely enough they now have a statement from Applegreen saying that "The report is unfounded"

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/01/07/4167358-applegreen-deny-castlebar-move-speculation/
    In a statement, the company said it is not planning to do so.

"The report is unfounded," it added.

The owners of the property at Carrowncurry have also stated the link with Applegreen is inaccurate.

Connaught covers themselves in glory again. Is the whole project a fiction or just the Applegreen connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Probably denying it as the other petrol stations have started objecting to stop the competition getting and in pure spite.

They all object now to each other petrol station planning applications.

irishgeo wrote:
    They all object now to each other petrol station planning applications.

It's well past that stage though as far as planning is concerned. No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

It's well past that stage though as far as planning is concerned. No?

It was granted planning 2 years ago and there were no objections made....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

A bit of an aside but it sums up my driving experience around Mayo for the past while. I've taken to my bicycle for the short hops around the place. Bread and milk? Take the bike. I've been doing this for the past few weeks. Today, I didn't take the car anywhere. I cycled. This evening I went to the cinema with my family and walked there. When we got home we decided to get chips and because of the time I took the car. What happened? Two minutes down the road Garda checkpoint. Where was my licence etc and they breathalysed me. All in order and on I went but it sums up my irritation with driving at the moment.

SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's only in the European Union that fuel is so expensive. Rest of world has cheap fuel, it's the biggest con ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

It's only in the European Union that fuel is so expensive. Rest of world has cheap fuel, it's the biggest con ever.

Agreed by and large. Have a look at this list of global diesel prices as of 07-01-19 .

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/diesel_prices/

Advertisement