Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New build - blue mould spots appearing

• 30-12-2018 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I got a garage conversion and small extension completed 2 weeks ago. The rooms haven't been fully plastered yet, only plasterboards. Over the past couple of days, blue mould spots have started appearing along the plasterboards adjacent to external walls - both at the front and back of the house - high and low. I contacted the builder immediately and sent him photos. His reply was it must be the clothes dryer, go ahead and plaster, nothing to worry about.

What would you suggest? Is there anybody independent I can get an opinion from?

I have people lined up to do some electrics, plastering etc., in 2 weeks time, so I need to get some urgent advice.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

What ventilation is in the room
    Is there heating in the room yet
    Do yo notice condensation on the windows internal pane
    Is there a clothes dryer in the room where is it vented too

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eniledam

Hi,

There is plenty of ventilation as property is only at first fit. There are big ventilation holes in both rooms where there is mould. There are no doors fitted yet. Yes there is a condensation dryer but absolutely no mould in that room. Rooms have been heated on timer. No condensation on the newly fitted windows or patio door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is it possible that the plasterboard got wet before or during construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eniledam

Thank you, that might explain it. I am hopeful it is just superficial. I have cleaned them all up now and fingers crossed it is sorted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

It’s not unusual to see some mold growth inside when plaster is drying out. The humidity in the building is bound to be high and you’re introducing a huge amount of moisture into the structure. Increase the ventilation and clean the mold down after it has dried out

• Advertisement
Advertisement