Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a business name - Directorship vs Partner

Options
  • 30-12-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to register a business name with a few business partners (we want ti incorporate as a private limited company).

What's the difference between a Directorship and a Partner?

i can't seem to find it on the CRO website.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Hi,

I'm trying to register a business name with a few business partners (we want ti incorporate as a private limited company).

Thanks a million!

Partnership is a group of individuals, trading as xyz. Each has a share of the business relative to the partnership agreement.

A company has directors. The shareholders own the shares of the company. The shareholders appoint the director's, and don't necessarily own shares.

There is a legal distinction between both, but there are similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

thegolfer wrote: »
    Partnership is a group of individuals, trading as xyz. Each has a share of the business relative to the partnership agreement.

A company has directors. The shareholders own the shares of the company. The shareholders appoint the director's, and don't necessarily own shares.

There is a legal distinction between both, but there are similarities.

Hi, Thanks very much for your help.

If the others are added to the company as business partners when filling out the business name registration form, can they later be added as directors when filling out the incorporation form for a private limited company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hi,

Thanks a million!

All you need to know is HERE
    You really should get a professional to draw up a shareholders' agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Hi, Thanks very much for your help.

If the others are added to the company as business partners when filling out the business name registration form, can they later be added as directors when filling out the incorporation form for a private limited company?

Yes, but in advance I'd have a partnership agreement drawn up as a priority.

Also get advice on what the business structure will be.

Generally partnership first, which then incorporates as a company.

thegolfer wrote: »
    Yes, but in advance I'd have a partnership agreement drawn up as a priority.

Also get advice on what the business structure will be.

Generally partnership first, which then incorporates as a company.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Are you questioning whether to have a partnership agreement made or not?

McCrack wrote: »
    Are you questioning whether to have a partnership agreement made or not?

Read post#1
    Ask yourself “Does the poster understand the differences between a limited company, a partnership, a partner, a shareholder and a director?”
    Read post #4.
    Re-read your post above and consider how pertinent it is.

Advertisement