Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot update iPhone 6

• 30-12-2018 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My wife got an iPhone 6 to replace her broken screened iPhone 6. Phone is in great condition except for the battery. Only issue I’m having is updating it.

If I try and OTA update it just stays on checking for update forever. That’s on multiple WiFi networks etc.

iTunes will download the update when the phone is connected but when it goes to verify it nothing happens. Multiple restarts on both the Mac and iPhone to no avail. When the phone is connected iTunes it says there’s an update available and that if I click update it will verify it and install it. I click update and.. nothing happens. Ever. Phone and Mac just sit there indefinitely.

Afraid to do a total reset on the phone in case this is an indication that something is wrong and it won’t be able to put any build on it (it’s working 100% as it currently is just not ups to date).

The phone will back to iCloud both OTA and via iTunes as normal btw. Just won’t update. It’s stuck on 10.2.1.

And a lot of apps won’t download from the App Store without updating. Including the bloody apple support app.

Any tips or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It wont update OTA but it should update over iTunes without issue. Happens lots of devices which have been on 10.2 for a long time.

Have you installed the latest version of iTunes? It should work fine on update, no restore needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Davy wrote: »
    It wont update OTA but it should update over iTunes without issue. Happens lots of devices which have been on 10.2 for a long time.

Have you installed the latest version of iTunes? It should work fine on update, no restore needed.

Fully up to day iTunes attempted on both an iMac and windows 10.

Got frustrated and tried to restore from a backup last night as well - nada.

Phone will manually backup on iTunes and will backup OTA via WiFi no problem.

Kinda stumped on what to try now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

quad_red wrote: »

Kinda stumped on what to try now?

Try recovery mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Advertisement