Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business and teaching, yes or no?

Options
  • 30-12-2018 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

What is the teaching prospects for graduates with a Business degree? I am able to teach Business, Accounting and Economics and most likely LCVP.

I am passionate about teaching, but unsure about whether the prospects for business is good.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Very oversubscribed. It is why they limit the numbers of Business people doing the PME. If you could get some sort of Maths qualification as well that would help. Or Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

spurious wrote: »
    Very oversubscribed. It is why they limit the numbers of Business people doing the PME. If you could get some sort of Maths qualification as well that would help. Or Irish.

Thank you for your reply! Would I have to do another level 8 degree to branch into new subjects or could schools give you teaching time for experience in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If your maths is good, you’ll get hours teaching maths, provided you can get a foot in the door but you’ll need to get a job teaching business to get those maths hours.

You can upskill while you’re teaching, but it’ll put a lot of pressure on you, and the first couple of years are tough anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Are you sure you would be qualified in all three business subjects?

Are you sure you would be qualified in all three business subjects?

I have a general business degree that is recognised and a higher certificate in business which had mostly economics and accounting modules in it on top of that. I have around 300 credits all together in both the cert and degree

• Advertisement

I was looking down the route of the PME in DCU. I know the NUI's had a quota for business students, but I am not sure if that was lifted so the PEM might be the better option. I am fairly confident that I am able to sort of a school placement for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have a general business degree that is recognised and a higher certificate in business which had mostly economics and accounting modules in it on top of that. I have around 300 credits all together in both the cert and degree

A Level 6 Higher Certificate won't be taken into account - must be Level 8 degree credits. The credits for each subject will also have to be up to at least 3rd year level or higher and cover the specified content. Have you checked the Teaching Council subject requirements for each subject?

https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/!COZ290

Advertisement