Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding the Owner of an abandoned house.

• 30-12-2018 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi i'm interested in abandoned property. I've gathered the folio number of the property. I know the owners names from it. Is there any way to contact them about the property? The folio gives the name of the owner only.

thanks indeed,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

We did this a couple of times. First step is to ask neighbors or locals, if it's a rural address then its a lot easier.

Once in a mid size town we had no luck with neighbours, but after knocking on the doors of a few solicitors we found one who represented the owner and he agreed to contact them on our behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi i'm interested in abandoned property. I've gathered the folio number of the property. I know the owners names from it. Is there any way to contact them about the property? The folio gives the name of the owner only.

thanks indeed,

Friends needed help on something similar a number of years back ( bit of land they wanted to buy) they paid a local estate agent to get the info and help find the owners.
    Other than that you may probably ask around the locals or near by neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 evaldas1982

thanks, it's a house in a rural area. I've been passing it quite often and it's abandoned for good few years. Will give a visit to closest neighbors perhaps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Landdirect.ie

If you buy the folio I think you get the owners details.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 evaldas1982

kceire wrote: »
    Landdirect.ie

If you buy the folio I think you get the owners details.

i did, but it only gives you the owners name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ask in the post office- and if there are any retired posties local to the area- they're also an amazing source of information.

Outside of that- pay a visit to the local church- look at the various records (baptisms, marriages, deaths etc)- try to build up a picture of the family- and perhaps approach one of the children?

After that- the local county library has the voter records- it might be a bit tedious, but you might hit paydirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I'm interested in this subject also, how does one get the folio number of a property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

BBFAN wrote: »
    I'm interested in this subject also, how does one get the folio number of a property?

There's an interactive map on landdirect.ie, you can just click on the plot of land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Be aware that the folio may not be registered - so no quick/cheap way to get the name online - and there's a good chance the registered address is going to be the house itself.

L1011 wrote: »
    Be aware that the folio may not be registered - so no quick/cheap way to get the name online - and there's a good chance the registered address is going to be the house itself.

So once you get the folio number you have to go somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BBFAN wrote: »
    So once you get the folio number you have to go somewhere else?

If its not registered there won't be a folio number basically. Registration started in the 70s but wasn't compulsary in Dublin until 2011 for sales (although many were registered anyway)

https://www.prai.ie/land-registry-services/ shows rough % of the land parcels registered per county.

If its not registered there should be a transcript of the part of the deeds at the Registry of Deeds but searches cost money and take time - and there is no guarantee of title unlike on registered folios.

L1011 wrote: »
    If its not registered there won't be a folio number basically. Registration started in the 70s but wasn't compulsary in Dublin until 2011 for sales (although many were registered anyway)

https://www.prai.ie/land-registry-services/ shows rough % of the land parcels registered per county.

If its not registered there should be a transcript of the part of the deeds at the Registry of Deeds but searches cost money and take time - and there is no guarantee of title unlike on registered folios.

Thanks so much for this information L1011. I've had a look on that map and it looks like it does have a folio number but I just have to make sure in daylight tomorrow that I have the right property because it's on a country road so I'll have to count up how many properties up it is.

Advertisement