Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing thread titles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Firstly, fair play for standing up and saying you did it.

Secondly, please realise this was a serious error of judgement. Why not just close the thread? It's not simply changing a thread title. It's blatant piss taking.

It's breaking some cardinal rules in AH like don't be a dick and, play the ball, not the man.

I'd do the decent thing here and step down from moderation.

A step too far if I'm to be honest, everyone is allowed to make a mistake/error of judgement and that's what this seems to have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm with the mod on this one, bitta craic, what harm?

This.

Calling for a mod to step down over having a bit of craic in the forum that is designed for light hearted banter is s nonsense.

Now if it was happening in the likes of politics main forum for example, I'd maybe see where they'd be coming from.

Perpetually easily offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

This is purely a subjective opinion. If a moderator is unable to mod from an objective point of view and proceeds to take the p*ss with threads they don't agree with, they should be moderating on a different part of the forum where they will be impartial and not show a level of disdain to posters. The cynic in me thinks this wasn't a coincidence, to coinciding with the others examples.
    How am I not being impartial and showing disdain for posters? Or are you talking about being impartial and showing disdain towards subject matter of threads?

Also, what coincidence?
    To be fair, somebody asked, so I answered. Even if I didn't, AH mods, Rec Cmods and admins can see a moderation log to see things like who changed a thread title. In another thread (can't remember exactly), I alluded to messing with thread titles, so it wasn't a big secret. But from a non-mod point of view, it needed to be cleared up.
    Secondly, please realise this was a serious error of judgement. Why not just close the thread? It's not simply changing a thread title. It's blatant piss taking.

It's breaking some cardinal rules in AH like don't be a dick and, play the ball, not the man.

Well, people have complained in the past that too many threads are closed so for a thread like this (i.e. it hadn't become troublesome), I left it open.

I had never intended playing the man though. I was of the opinion, and still of the opinion, that the thread title was ridiculous to start with and the general premise of the thread was nonsense. And from what I can tell, I am not alone. I didn't intend the thread title change to be a mockery of the OP. Perhaps I should have just posted a Dr Zoidberg "your thread is bad and you should feel bad" meme and have left it at that. But the thread hadn't been posted in in over two days and had fallen well off the front page by the time I changed the title so would have been a needless bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

Why change the title at all then if the thread has already died? Are you responsible for all the other thread title changes? You're being fairly arrogant about all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Why change the title at all then if the thread has already died? Are you responsible for all the other thread title changes? You're being fairly arrogant about all this.
    In all honesty, lads, don't you think you may be taking this a tad too seriously?

AH is supposed to be where light-hearted conversations take place, where the urine is pulled from those who may be overly precious about an ideal and slagging others is supposed to encouraged.

Perhaps AH may not be the most suitable place for the conversations you are seeking and other forums here or elsewhere may be more amenable to your requirements?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 DaverageJoe

I had never intended playing the man though. I was of the opinion, and still of the opinion, that the thread title was ridiculous to start with and the general premise of the thread was nonsense. And from what I can tell, I am not alone. I didn't intend the thread title change to be a mockery of the OP. Perhaps I should have just posted a Dr Zoidberg "your thread is bad and you should feel bad" meme and have left it at that. But the thread hadn't been posted in in over two days and had fallen well off the front page by the time I changed the title so would have been a needless bump.

Perhaps you should stick to moderating instead of trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

We all change thread titles. It's a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not enough!

The entire site should be shut down for an issue of this magnitude.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Shouldn't the mod in question commit seppuku?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ah hang on now, ritual suicide is very messy, hard to clean the carpets afterwards.

• Advertisement

Fair few moany holes getting annoyed at mods here over SFA. After Hours is after hours. I’m 100% in favour of changing thread tItles if it gives them a few more haemorrhoids.

Go push agendas elsewhere lads.

dudara wrote: »
    Ah hang on now, ritual suicide is very messy, hard to clean the carpets afterwards.

So to be clear going forward, mods changing thread titles at their leisure in After Hours is welcomed?

So to be clear going forward, mods changing thread titles at their leisure in After Hours is welcomed?

Go away with your loaded question. Enjoy New Year’s Eve instead

Go away with your loaded question. Enjoy New Year’s Eve instead

Well can you outline the official stance on it? It's helpful to know going forward, it you have the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 DaverageJoe

What's the point in being a mod if you can't treat boards like your own little playground?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well can you outline the official stance on it? It's helpful to know going forward, it you have the time.
    What "official stance"? There is none I know of. If you don't want to take stuff in the jest it is intended, I'm clearly not going to change your mindset.

Equally plenty of AH regulars never bother with any of these threads, possibly because it really does not bother them that much, and possibly because they treat AH like it was always intended - a place for light-hearted banter

I appreciate there are plenty of posters who don't want to treat AH like that. Equally There are some posters who will complain whatever the "official stance" may be. Hence perhaps it's better not having one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yes....Thats what we are saying :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Perhaps you should stick to moderating instead of trolling?

That wouldn't be trolling. It would be taking the piss. Taking the piss is not the same as trolling.

Moderators are regular posters first, moderators second. If moderators weren't allowed post as normal in the forums they moderate, there wouldn't be any moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The official stance is that there is no official stance.

I can see why changing thread titles may be a bit annoying, but it is After Hours. There's a ton of sh1t in there that's annoying. C'est la vie! - as the Brits used to say when the really were governed by Europe.

*heads to AH to discuss gender imbalance in armed forces at Battle of Hastings & its effect on 19thC SJWs in Rotherham*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

In all honesty, lads, don't you think you may be taking this a tad too seriously?

AH is supposed to be where light-hearted conversations take place, where the urine is pulled from those who may be overly precious about an ideal and slagging others is supposed to encouraged.

Perhaps AH may not be the most suitable place for the conversations you are seeking and other forums here or elsewhere may be more amenable to your requirements?

Fair enough. Question in that case. Why was the thread title corrected then?

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Question in that case. Why was the thread title corrected then?

Because someone made a fuss about it here and Beasty decided to change it back.

I don’t think it will matter what any of us mods or admins say here. You’re someone looking for a stick with which to beat us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That wouldn't be trolling. It would be taking the piss. Taking the piss is not the same as trolling.

Moderators are regular posters first, moderators second. If moderators weren't allowed post as normal in the forums they moderate, there wouldn't be any moderators.

You're not regular posters first because you can change other people's thread titles. Regular posters can't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I don’t think it will matter what any of us mods or admins say here. You’re someone looking for a stick with which to beat us.

I think what most ‘regular’ users would like is a simple rules that titles won’t be changed for the amusement of mods. Seems a fairly straightforward request. It’s not a stick to beat you with. Again the circling the wagons statement might be made and with justification in this case. Sorry but the mod/admin line ‘ah sure it’s all AH good fun for a bit of sheets and giggles’ just doesn’t wash.

I think what most ‘regular’ users would like is a simple rules that titles won’t be changed for the amusement of mods....

Sorry but the mod/admin line ‘ah sure it’s all AH good fun for a bit of sheets and giggles’ just doesn’t wash.

You don’t speak for most regular users. You want it. That’s all you can say.

I don’t want it. Some OP’s and discussions are a bit ridiculous and I want the mods of AH to be the kinds of individuals who are happy to get stuck in and paint fools bright red, so to speak.

Or to feel free to stir the pot to keep things on the boil without turning into a crusty old lump of dried up nothing.

It’s AH. Cop on to yourselves lads.

Because someone made a fuss about it here and Beasty decided to change it back.

Sure it's only a bit of craic. Change it back again there for the lols.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sure it's only a bit of craic. Change it back again there for the lols.

We won't bother, because according to some around here
    It's blatant piss taking.
    Not that I agree, but I've reached the stage where I simply cannot be arsed with some of the complaints being raised around here. I care more for those that happily post away, than those constantly looking to for something to get offended over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TBH some of the thread title changes were quite funny and were in threads taking themselves far too seriously for AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I found it a bit off putting, I didn't even click into the one thread I noticed it in because I had no idea what was going on.

Calling for the head of a mod over it is a bit OTT though. He messed with a thread title. It annoyed a few posters, it was changed back. Time to get over it now.

Mods make choices every day, it's very rare that everyone will agree with any one one of them. In years of modding I don't ever remember a mod doing something not, for what they thought, was for the betterment of the forum/site. Whether that's removing a poster from a thread, closing a thread or messing with thread titles for a laugh.

For what it's worth, whoever was changing the Louise O'Neill thread titles, I thought they were very funny

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    We won't bother, because according to some around here
    Not that I agree, but I've reached the stage where I simply cannot be arsed with some of the complaints being raised around here. I care more for those that happily post away, than those constantly looking to for something to get offended over

Maybe let people happily post away instead of editing what they post?

Look at the idiotic thread on global warming. The thread title is:

"Man-made" Climate Change Lunathicks Out in Full Force

The OP is a full stop. Far more worthy of a title change / edit (IMO)?

I do agree with Kersplat tho, the O'Neill thread changes were hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement