Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing thread titles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 DaverageJoe

That wouldn't be trolling. It would be taking the piss. Taking the piss is not the same as trolling.

Moderators are regular posters first, moderators second. If moderators weren't allowed post as normal in the forums they moderate, there wouldn't be any moderators.

As the other poster said normal posters don't have the ability to change other peoples thread titles. So you did that as a moderator not a normal poster. And in your own words you did it to take the piss.

So we get to the actual issue. You're using your moderator privileges to take the piss out of posters\threads by anonymously (as far as normal posters are concerned) editing what they posted to make it look ridiculous.

Sounds like trolling to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't agree with it. If ordinary users could change other peoples thread titles for a bit of fun they wouldn't be long getting warned and banned so I fail to see why mods should be allowed free reign to feck about. That and it's fairly annoying.

Beasty wrote: »
    We won't bother, because according to some around here

"It's blatant piss taking."

Not that I agree, but I've reached the stage where I simply cannot be arsed with some of the complaints being raised around here. I care more for those that happily post away, than those constantly looking to for something to get offended over

Well the mod who did it actually said he did it to take the piss:
    It would be taking the piss. Taking the piss is not the same as trolling..

What annoys people is the double standards and then the circling of wagons where you all directly contradict each other and yourselves in an effort to pretend that there's no issue with you guys doing whatever it is you want because you're "regular posters" too while holding actual regular posters to entirely different standards where they're banned at the drop of a hat for some innocuous comment.

And if you have a feedback forum and a help desk and all this stuff to deal with peoples complaints then you can't go pouting and sulking and claiming people are just looking for something to be offended over or looking for a stick to beat you guys with so you're not arsed dealing with complaints.

It's either of use or it isn't. If you guys aren't arsed then get rid of it and go back to doing whatever you want be damned with normal users. If it's useful then take it seriously. The reaction from mods and admins taking the piss out of complaints and actually saying you're not arsed is rather pathetic tbh. A little bit of professionalism goes a long way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

How the mods of help desk or the admins have passed up the opportunity to mess with the title of this thread is beyond me.

Obviously not as cool as us AH mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Grinchbot wrote: »
    How the mods of help desk or the admins have passed up the opportunity to mess with the title of this thread is beyond me.

Obviously not as cool as us AH mods.

TBH there’s little point in trying to inject some humor anymore. Things are taken way too seriously these days. The humour got drained out of this site quite a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

dudara wrote: »
    TBH there’s little point in trying to inject some humor anymore. Things are taken way too seriously these days. The humour got drained out of this site quite a while back.

I hope the irony of an admin saying that isn't lost on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

To be fair though the majority of that is because mods/admin started getting hard assed on people, what would have been laughed off and taken as a joke 5 years ago will these days get you carded or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’m not sure what you mean by irony in this situation.

My comment was borne out of a fatigue and even frustration at the sentiments expressed here. It’s so mixed that I don’t even know where to start sometimes. AH has changed direction so much over the years, some folks want the olden days back, some people want a professional, sterile feel.
    Timberrrr wrote:
    To be fair though the majority of that is because mods/admin started getting hard assed on people, what would have been laughed off and taken as a joke 5 years ago will these days get you carded or worse.

I’m not sure if I agree 100%. I think the biggest shifts have been in our cultural norms as a society. Boards IMO provides a lens on that, and is influenced by that.

Can you give me examples of what mods have cracked down on that you think shouldn’t have happened?

I’m not sure wha you mean by irony in this situation.

My comment was borne out of a fatigue and even frustration at the sentiments expressed here. It’s so mixed that I don’t even know where to start sometimes. AH has changed direction so much over the years, some folks want the olden days back, some people want a professional, sterile feel.

The irony is that it's far from the users that have sucked the fun from the whole site.

But anyway, why not just send it in the direction that you want and stick to it. No wishy washy moderation, and then telling us that moderators are posters every time they mess about with their site privileges or throw out warnings based on personal opinions or playing favourites rather than site rules.
    Pick a direction, set proper guidelines, and stick to it. It's the total and massive inconsistencies that have everyone driven mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

*heads to AH to discuss gender imbalance in armed forces at Battle of Hastings & its effect on 19thC SJWs in Rotherham*

Post of the day !!

😝😝😝

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,611 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're using your moderator privileges to take the piss out of posters\threads by anonymously (as far as normal posters are concerned) editing what they posted to make it look ridiculous.

Sounds like trolling to me.

The content of a lot of the threads does a better job of making people look ridiculous than any thread title change ever could.

If people want a serious discussion with serious thread titles, AH probably isn't the place for it.

Should it be a free-for-all on changing thread titles? No, but it's harmless.

As for whoever said the mod in question should step down, maybe they would like to volunteer as a mod as they would clearly do a better job at moderating AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

To me it's an abuse of power. A mods job is to referee and keep the peace.
    A mod acting as a mod should be impartial and only there in an optical capacity.
    Posting not as a mod is different.

In my opinion a mod acting like a dick (as in the charter) should be demodded and carded like a regular poster.

If you want a thread title competition then go to the comedy forum and start on.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To me it's an abuse of power. A mods job is to referee and keep the peace.
    A mod acting as a mod should be impartial and only there in an optical capacity.
    Posting not as a mod is different.

In my opinion a mod acting like a dick (as in the charter) should be demodded and carded like a regular poster.

If you want a thread title competition then go to the comedy forum and start on.
    The more I see posts like this the more I think we really have to find a way of removing all serious discussion from AH. It was never intended to host such discussion, and in not set for it. It seems that many posters cannot treat any forum as somewhere for a bit of light-hearted banter and they need to be moved on from AH to somewhere better suited

No doubt we'll then get further complaints as mods move serious discussion on, but that's something I think we'll just have to live with

The more I see posts like this the more I think we really have to find a way of removing all serious discussion from AH. It was never intended to host such discussion, and in not set for it. It seems that many posters cannot treat any forum as somewhere for a bit of light-hearted banter and they need to be moved on from AH to somewhere better suited

No doubt we'll then get further complaints as mods move serious discussion on, but that's something I think we'll just have to live with

I agree with you that there should be a separate forum for more serious discussion but not as serious as the politics forum . Leave ah for banter and fun.
    But saying that a mod still should have no right to mess with the thread unless that's the point if that explicit thread.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I agree with you that there should be a separate forum for more serious discussion but not as serious as the politics forum . Leave ah for banter and fun.
    But saying that a mod still should have no right to mess with the thread unless that's the point if that explicit thread.

I think if you want mods to act so "seriously" perhaps you would then be better sticking to the "serious" forum and leaving the "old" one alone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There is, it's called politics cafe but it turned into a deserted wasteland after someone decided that posters need to request access.

I think if you want mods to act so "seriously" perhaps you would then be better sticking to the "serious" forum and leaving the "old" one alone

But they don't always act seriously. Sometimes they act seriously, sometimes they're like children, sometimes they're flexing their muscles simply because they disagree with a point. Whatever you do, at least bring some consistency to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I think the instances in which the title changes were made (esp Louise O'Neill) were very funny.
    Anything that makes me laugh in AH is fine in my book, and some people should just lighten up.

If some people had their way we wouldn't have had the "man gets hit by a train" thread for chrissakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

But this is two fold Beasty. We're told that AH, boards, and the world itself has evolved, and I agree it has. That it is the posters that have changed boards, posters and mods, I also agree with this. But then it's said that AH was always for light-hearted discussion* and that anything serious needs to be moved.

Would you not agree that AH has evolved also?

* I do agree AH has evolved but I don't agree that it is a recent change where serious discussion is taking place. Since I joined in 2010 there has been serious topics in AH. Before that I have no idea but I presume there was always an element of serious discussion in some form in AH.

Boards itself is suffering badly as it is. Politics Cafe was a disaster and this idea of a Current Affairs forum will, in my opinion, be the same and will further kill off boards as a relevant place for discussion.

Not sure what your saying.

I'm all for fun. I think ah should be a lot more fun and light hearted.
    But a mod should be impartial. A mods job isn't be funny .
    Let them be funny in a personal capacity.

It's unprofetional and childish.

• Advertisement

Or... you could have a word with the mod and ask him to stop abusing his moderator privileges for ****s and giggles and let posters post their threads and discuss them as has always been happening up until the mod got bored.

Going back to dudara's post this is why the fun has been sucked out of the place. Admins going to extremes to try solve issues that could be solved with a little common sense. You guys have spent years building tomes of charters with enough rules, regulations and processes to run a small country to try dictate how users behave on here but the moment a mod does something that gets questions you blame regular posters for not being able to take a joke and start talking about wholesale changes to how a forum works.

Is using moderator privileges to take the piss out of posters really a fundamental requirement for people to have a laugh in AH?

Or... you could have a word with the mod and ask him to stop abusing his moderator privileges for ****s and giggles and let posters post their threads and discuss them as has always been happening up until the mod got bored.

Going back to dudara's post this is why the fun has been sucked out of the place. Admins going to extremes to try solve issues that could be solved with a little common sense. You guys have spent years building tomes of charters with enough rules, regulations and processes to run a small country to try dictate how users behave on here but the moment a mod does something that gets questions you blame regular posters for not being able to take a joke and start talking about wholesale changes to how a forum works.

Is using moderator privileges to take the piss out of posters really a fundamental requirement for people to have a laugh in AH?
    If you are that passionate about this issue, I would suggest you stay out of AH, as it seems it's not really the place for posters like yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Nobody is objecting to humour. Can someone actually explain the "joke" that was in this thread title change? As opposed to the O'Neill thread changes which actually were funny?

My read on it is, the first letters of each word were exchanged with the first letter of the following word.

To me, that's the equivalent of orally responding to a person saying "buh bah bah bah bah BUH bah bah" sarcastically.

It's certainly not funny, it lacks intellect and is essentially mocking. If I heard my son respond to someone like that, he'd get an earful from me.

If you are that passionate about this issue, I would suggest you stay out of AH, as it seems it's not really the place for posters like yourself

This is your solution? If you don't like mods using moderator privileges to take the piss out of posters while holding tomes of charters for acceptable and unacceptable behavior over their heads get lost? Got a complaint? Not arsed listening.

Well you're a handy fellow to have in the help desk forum..

Can the admins never take anything on board without getting all defensive and resorting to the likes of this? You're not children, take some criticism and try to make the whole thing better instead of little jibes at anyone who doesn't agree in totality witu the status quo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Wow just wow ! Amazing attitude from an Admin

I can take constructive criticism, but not criticism for the sake of it, and this thread seems to be suffering from the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

No need. If I had known this many people would have gotten upset with something which I still consider trivial, I'd never have done it and no way in hell could I be bothered dealing with this level of disquiet again.

Nobody is objecting to humour. Can someone actually explain the "joke" that was in this thread title change? As opposed to the O'Neill thread changes which actually were funny?

My read on it is, the first letters of each word were exchanged with the first letter of the following word.

To me, that's the equivalent of orally responding to a person saying "buh bah bah bah bah BUH bah bah" sarcastically.

It's certainly not funny, it lacks intellect and is essentially mocking. If I heard my son respond to someone like that, he'd get an earful from me.

I agree.

To me it's about crossing the line and outside your remit as a mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Disappointing response. Seems like AH "was never intended for this or that".

To me, it speaks to a failure to change with the times.

If you want AH to end up as forum where "the old regulars" hang around, ripping the piss and talking about Pighead and all the old "mad" moderators and Atari Jaguar etc. etc. then this is the correct way to go about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement