Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a wired internet connection in another room.

Options
  • 30-12-2018 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope this is in the right part of the forum and that you can provide some expert advice...

Essentially I'm setting up a Home Office in a spare bedroom upstairs for which I need a wired internet connection.

I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 (240mbps) downstairs in my living room.

I came across the following "Powerline" adapter https://powercity.ie/product/PA4010

Is this the only viable option I have other than running an ethernet cable from downstairs to upstairs?

It seems like the perfect solution but I'm wondering if there's any speed-loss associated with these adapters?

Also, do any adapters perform better than others or do they all do the same thing?

Thanks for any insight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hey,

They should do you fine,Have them in my house in the kids bedrooms for PS4 etc. saves on the congestion too with the wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Should do the job. As long as they are on the same fuse board, speed will also depend on the wiring in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hey,

They should do you fine,Have them in my house in the kids bedrooms for PS4 etc. saves on the congestion too with the wifi.

Great stuff.

Any speed loss through the adapters compared to directly from the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

The difference should be negligible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

ION08 wrote: »
    Great stuff.

Powerlines are a great option, there will be some speed loss, but shouldn't be anything you'd ever notice (unless you live in an extremely old house)

If your home office is for a work from home job, some of those companies stress wired rather than powerline, but will never know the difference so just tell them you ran a wire :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Great stuff.

Yes ...... but it depends on how fast you expect it to be.

You can also meet with interference from other devices using the power wiring too.

As a result, there is no guarantee they will work well in any particular situation.
    Mine are fine ..... can stream video in HD without problems .... but other users have not had such good results.

Definitely better than wireless IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Also how big is house, I have sockets on two seperate loops from the fuse board

If I have connected on one loop and plug in on other loop then performance is way down, I can’t stream or anything....most houses should not have issue but worth keeping an eye out for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Yes ...... but it depends on how fast you expect it to be.

You can also meet with interference from other devices using the power wiring too.

As a result, there is no guarantee they will work well in any particular situation.
    Mine are fine ..... can stream video in HD without problems .... but other users have not had such good results.

Definitely better than wireless IMO.

I have 240mbps virgin media connection. Would be happy if i get half of that through the powerlink?
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Also how big is house, I have sockets on two seperate loops from the fuse board

If I have connected on one loop and plug in on other loop then performance is way down, I can’t stream or anything....most houses should not have issue but worth keeping an eye out for

Relatively new (post 2000 built) 3 bed house. Just one fuseboard in house. Should be ok?

I have 240mbps virgin media connection. Would be happy if i get half of that through the powerlink?

Relatively new (post 2000 built) 3 bed house. Just one fuseboard in house. Should be ok?

Yeah will be ok

Mine is original plus extension built so two loops....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

Will these work if they are plugged into an extension lead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Would be very interested in hearing how this goes - given it seems to be exactly what i would need, i dont mind putting a few quid into it.

What would the difference be between what ION needs above, and the more expensive options from power city below? Would i gain anything extra from the more expensive option..
      https://powercity.ie/product/PA4010P - 39.95EUR
        https://powercity.ie/product/4097547 - 59.95EUR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Shefwedfan wrote: »
        Yeah will be ok

Mine is original plus extension built so two loops....

If two "loops" affects performance then most houses will have issues. Houses built 30/40 years ago have multiple socket circuits. Usually one for kitchen, one for the rest of downstairs and one for upstairs. Newer houses will generally have multiple socket circuits downstairs and multiple upstairs.

I don't know anything about the power line adapters, just advising on the wiring of a standard house.

kala85 wrote: »

Not recommended

I would guess it will work but slower, I plug in direct

Then have the ones which create a new WiFi spot as well

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

you'll lose a lot of the speed but should be sufficient for your needs. if you're getting 240mb downstairs you'll probably get a 3rd of that through the power line connectors. At least that's what I'm seeing on mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I have a 70mb connection and and test at 70mb from via my power line adapters. Depends on the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Yes. Though its best to go straight to socket. They work really well. I have 5 of them connected around the house. No problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Yes there is speed loss but it should be plenty fast for what you need. There is some packet loss
        If plugged in an extension lead with high draw devices expect massive packet loss as both will be running through extension leads fuse which will put alot of noise where you don't want it.

Lived in a granny flat used a homeplug at modem to sitting room at back of house then ran cat5 from there to granny flat and set up wired ap. Netflix worked well but every so and so 40mins or such it could start loading then pick up again.
        Some packet loss is to be expected.
        Ran a rugged cat5 cable from modem location and brought to flat later and it hasn't resulted in a loading wheel on Netflix once.
        They'll do and they'll get you out of a bind if you can't or don't want to run wiring but wired is always better.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 (240mbps) downstairs in my living room.
        I have house from mid 70-ties and tried connection over power adapters - other brand than yours, but similar technology. If they was on same circuit (room sockets) it was working fine, but not as good as 1GB router. But when it was done over different circuits was worse and there was problems with connection with a garage which is 50 feet away measured by wire, sometime loosing connection. By the way: regards https://toolstud.io/data/bandwidth.php?compare=network&speed=240&speed_unit=Mbps 240Mbps equals 30MB/s (1byte=8bits) and this is usually not too hard to obtain.
        Older LAN routers use 100MB/s technology and newer one 1000MB/s. You should have no problem with something close to 30MB/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

I'm probably being stupid, but I just can't see how it can work if it's on a different circuit. Surely they are all closed loops??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

flatty wrote: »
        I'm probably being stupid, but I just can't see how it can work if it's on a different circuit. Surely they are all closed loops??

What do you mean by closed? Socket circuits will, usually, all be fed from the same RCD.

You'll get continuity across the top of MCBs for different socket circuits using a fluke tester or multimeter

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I have a 70mb connection and and test at 70mb from via my power line adapters. Depends on the house

Same here. I get 68 plugged into the router directly and the exact same through the powerline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Actually I think that model only has a 100mb port on it. You need the av1000 or 9010 for A GB NIC from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Yes mine is plugged in there and my home office is in the converted attic. Not a bother on it. Works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
        What do you mean by closed? Socket circuits will, usually, all be fed from the same RCD.

You'll get continuity across the top of MCBs for different socket circuits using a fluke tester or multimeter

I tried, and it didn't work at all. It's a fairly new, fairly big house with multiple circuits, so I just figured that to be the case. I'm fixing the issue by moving the hub.
        By what mechanism do you get continuity across the circuit breakers if you aren't connecting them yourself? Genuine question, I'm not a sparky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

flatty wrote: »
        I tried, and it didn't work at all. It's a fairly new, fairly big house with multiple circuits, so I just figured that to be the case. I'm fixing the issue by moving the hub.
        By what mechanism do you get continuity across the circuit breakers if you aren't connecting them yourself? Genuine question, I'm not a sparky.

Think of it this way ..... all power sockets have Live & Neutral connected back to a central point in the consumer unit to get power, so all are connected to each other.
        So, worst case the data can travel back to the central point from a socket and out on another line/loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

I suppose there is inductance/conductance inside RCD safety switch which allow easily to flow 50Hz (power) frequency, but block or weaken high as 433MHz (or similar) which is used to transfer data. Look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nDP7jDi2iE 14:38

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

abyss wrote: »
        Older LAN routers use 100MB/s technology and newer one 1000MB/s.
        I suggest you refresh your knowledge about Ethernet and units used.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Word of caution for anyone trying powerline adapters for the first time: if you have any cable extension reels plugged in somewhere in the house, and they're not fully unwound, it can play havoc with the signal quality.

(Mentioning because a lot of people run these for Christmas lights at this time of year).

Unplug the reel to restore decent connectivity.

Advertisement