Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Google Pay / Apple Pay coming to Bank of Ireland in 2019?

Options
  • 30-12-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Just wondering if both of these services will be coming to Bank of Ireland in 2019?  I am reluctant to change banks as I have a lot of direct debits and online services set up through Bank of Ireland.  

Maybe, in 2019, BoI will become a modern bank?  

If anyone from BoI is answering, and these services are coming, could you give me the answer in your own words please rather than using a cold sounding cut and paste response.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi gr1980,

Thanks for getting in touch

We currently have no updates on Apple/ Google Pay, if this changes we will update it on our website.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I left for KBC

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gr1980

Hi gr1980,

Thanks for getting in touch

We currently have no updates on Apple/ Google Pay, if this changes we will update it on our website.

Thanks,

Lorna
    Thanks, Lorna.  At least now I know.  I have to say it is disappointing.

Try_harder wrote: »
    I left for KBC
    How do you find them?  What happens with direct debits?  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

They can move them all.

Try_harder wrote: »
    They can move them all.
    Well, I'm going to see if I can link my PayPal account with Google Pay first.  If I can't then I'm going to make serious enquiries about changing banks, not a decision that will be easy to make but BoI have got stuck in the 2000s and don't seem to be moving.  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 paulfitzsimons

Do we have an ETA for Apple Pay / Google Pay coming to BOI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi there,

Thanks for the message.
    We don't have any update on this. Please be assured that we'll let all of our customers know if there is any change on this in the future.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

It looks like BOI are updating their legacy systems with something called Project Omega.  This has been ongoing for a number of years and, I'm guessing, will take another few years to complete.  

I would be surprised if we see Apple Pay / Google Pay this side of 2020.  Once they have their new system up and running it's going to take another while to roll out the digital payment systems.  

Hi there,

Thanks for the message.
    We don't have any update on this. Please be assured that we'll let all of our customers know if there is any change on this in the future.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.
    So you're saying none of these payment systems are coming?

When is the ETA for Project Omega to be completed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

gr1980 wrote: »

Hi there,

Thanks for the message.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.
    So you're saying none of these payment systems are coming?

When is the ETA for Project Omega to be completed?

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. We don't have any update on this. Please be assured that as soon as we have any information on this that can be given publically we'll let everyone know here.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

As feedback - having this lack of usability is a serious weakness for a large bank, and the lack of any tangible updates to customers is pretty poor. I'll certainly be reconsidering my custom on the back of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

budhabob wrote: »
    As feedback - having this lack of usability is a serious weakness for a large bank, and the lack of any tangible updates to customers is pretty poor. I'll certainly be reconsidering my custom on the back of this.

Hi budhabob,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Please be assured that we do appreciate all feedback we receive from our customers. We are very sorry to hear you feel this way. At present we do not have any updates in relation to Google or Apple pay. If this changes in the future we will be sure to update our website and social media channels to advise our customers of such changes.

For future updates please see www.bankofireland.com/psd2

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

I’ve ended up using my current account for my direct debits etc and have moved to Revolut who now have Apple Pay. Have fond it’s actually easier to manage my finances as the BOI app balance is never right with some transactions being listed but not coming off the overall amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sam Duffy

Bank of Ireland will not roll out Apple Pay in 2019. it will be 2020. https://www.independent.ie/business/bank-of-ireland-signals-2020-delay-for-apple-pay-38383580.html

gr1980 wrote: »
    It looks like BOI are updating their legacy systems with something called Project Omega.  This has been ongoing for a number of years and, I'm guessing, will take another few years to complete.  

I would be surprised if we see Apple Pay / Google Pay this side of 2020.  Once they have their new system up and running it's going to take another while to roll out the digital payment systems.  
    your right it will be 2020. https://www.independent.ie/business/bank-of-ireland-signals-2020-delay-for-apple-pay-38383580.html

I wouldn't imagine it would be after 2020 they're already so far behind. theyre new app is coming in q4 supposedly. I wonder if the new app rolls out in October could they still get Apple Pay out before the end of the year that gives them a 2 month window 

thanks 

Sam Duffy wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine it would be after 2020 they're already so far behind. theyre new app is coming in q4 supposedly. I wonder if the new app rolls out in October could they still get Apple Pay out before the end of the year that gives them a 2 month window 

thanks 
    I would put a question mark over the app coming out this year.  If it comes then great but, if it doesn't, then I wouldn't be too surprised.  

Now, will it work well is another thing...........  BOI are so far behind in their app that they have serious catching up to do.  

fair point. id be fairly certain the app will come in 2019 as they seem to be pushing it hard.  They've been working on this all year supposedly

Thanks 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sam Duffy wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland will not roll out Apple Pay in 2019. it will be 2020. https://www.independent.ie/business/bank-of-ireland-signals-2020-delay-for-apple-pay-38383580.html
    [snipped] The worst bank in Ireland today.

• Advertisement

yeah. but in fairness the only bank that has re paid the taxpayer for the bailout and actually quite a secure bank overall. Look at Ulster Bank in recent times. its quite far behind on its tech but its security is quite good 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marco_sharko

i have no idea why people are so reluctant to switch banks. It really is easy to do...and yes , the DD's will carry over. seriously, if a bank does not have google pay / apple pay in 2020, its time to move banks. 

I am fairly sure that there are banks in The Congo that have google pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rfallon

Bank of Ireland have finally indicated on their website that it will be launching Apple Pay before the end of the year 2020. Like others here I have already left for KBC and N26 but it’s better late than never I guess

Advertisement