Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rowan Croft the gran torino

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Science is science. History is history. One cannot be used to prove the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

recedite wrote: »
    Science is science. History is history. One cannot be used to prove the other.

One can provide the science if you're claiming that there's a scientific basis. If you're using history as a basis, then you're likely to be external factors if you're claiming an actual genetic difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

Can you point me towards the science behind your particularly stupid argument?

Can you point me towards the science used by the colonial powers, when deciding whether a particular country in Africa could be overpowered, colonized and it's people enslaved?

From my reading of history, as a lay person of course - not an expert, it appears that these nations mostly just utilized their powers of observation... rather than any in depth scientific study of the region or it's inhabitants!

There were some ad-hoc studies carried out later. But initially it appears to have been simple observation skills. And yet their observations were, it seems, largely correct. The people they found were less advanced, and less intelligent (at least in the way they measured these things in those days)... and they were reasonably easy to subdue, colonize and enslave!

Again, not arguing any of this was right, according to the moral values we live by today. Putting aside the morality, there were common sense logical reasons why some regions, like Africa, became colonized and others did not. Scientific evidence didn't appear to be all that important when deciding on these actions...

Btw which part of my argument did you find to be "particularly stupid"? And can you explain in detail, why exactly you consider it so? (please feel free to use scientific studies/evidence if you prefer - although not absolutely essential) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Can you point me towards the science used by the colonial powers, when deciding whether a particular country in Africa could be overpowered, colonized and it's people enslaved?

From my reading of history, as a lay person of course - not an expert, it appears that these nations mostly just utilized their powers of observation... rather than any in depth scientific study of the region or it's inhabitants!

There were some ad-hoc studies carried out later. But initially it appears to have been simple observation skills. And yet their observations were, it seems, largely correct. The people they found were less advanced, and less intelligent (at least in the way they measured these things in those days)... and they were reasonably easy to subdue, colonize and enslave!

Again, not arguing any of this was right, according to the moral values we live by today. Putting aside the morality, there were common sense logical reasons why some regions, like Africa, became colonized and others did not. Scientific evidence didn't appear to be all that important when deciding on these actions...

Btw which part of my argument did you find to be "particularly stupid"? And can you explain in detail, why exactly you consider it so? (please feel free to use scientific studies/evidence if prefer - although not absolutely essential) :)

Well where to start with that nonsense. The reasons why africa was less advanced technologically has already been explained on the thread so i wont repeat it. Your premise seems to be that europeans were militarily stronger so that means they were more intelligent than africans. Stupidity the first. You also seem to think that because african nations were colonised that that has any bearing on today. Stupidity the second. You also seem to think that "intelligence" is some great tool for measuring populations. Stupidity the third. I could go on but frankly your posts are not worth the effort. They read like a particularly poor post by a newbie on stormfront.

ETA and why am i not surprised at who thanked your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Firearms - later the rifled barrel and the water cooled belt fed machine gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Grand Torino needs a few quid to fix his van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

He watched too much breaking bad

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

He once claimed on US talk radio that his van had been burned out by 'Lefties'. Total lies of course, I saw him park it outside his mammy's house the very next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He once claimed on US talk radio

Another lad living out his Mam's back in a shed?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Another lad living out his Mam's back in a shed?

Pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Some lad I have on FB who's particularly susceptible to conspiracy theory ****ery shared something off this clown's website earlier, couldn't help but have a look out of morbid curiosity.

This little power-level table he made for himself is particularly great:

721461399a0162d670e01f60148ec5e939369b5a3385b682640c412c9db47412e329c706.jpg

Social constructs : fictitious :D Except everything on his list of moral virtues is a social construct. I also had to laugh at "Responsibility: missing from millennials" coming from a 50 year old living in his Ma's shed.

This bloke is a complete lol-cow. If he was satire he'd be awesome.

RWCNT wrote: »
    Some lad I have on FB who's particularly susceptible to conspiracy theory ****ery shared something off this clown's website earlier, couldn't help but have a look out of morbid curiosity.

This little power-level table he made for himself is particularly great:

721461399a0162d670e01f60148ec5e939369b5a3385b682640c412c9db47412e329c706.jpg

Social constructs : fictitious :D Except everything on his list of moral virtues is a social construct. I also had to laugh at "Responsibility: missing from millennials" coming from a 50 year old living in his Ma's shed.

This bloke is a complete lol-cow. If he was satire he'd be awesome.

Is that like Top Trumps for bellends?

The guy is on a mission to do his bit to protect our society, whether you believe in his ideals or not.
    That is social responsibility. Millennials on a mission to gel their hair... not so much.

On "social constructs", maybe you don't really understand what that means.
    For example, say you have an appointment and you make an effort to arrive on time. That is discipline.
    Say you arrive late, and you keep the other person waiting, then you gloss over it saying "time is only a social construct". You're an idiot.

On "courage". Slagging off Grand Torino on the internet- nope, not courage.
    Confronting him in person, one to one - yes.

Going to Roosky on a bus with a bunch of fellow lefties and shouting at the locals - nope.
    Grand Torino going to Roosky and walking into that hostile crowd of lefties - yes.

These are real concepts, in real life situations, not social constructs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The guy is on a mission to do his bit to protect our society, whether you believe in his ideals or not.
    That is social responsibility. Millennials on a mission to gel their hair... not so

At least the millennial has the potential to be a sane contributor to society...

Is my tax money going to pay dole for this fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

That is social responsibility. Millennials on a mission to gel their hair... not so much.

On "social constructs", maybe you don't really understand what that means.
    For example, say you have an appointment and you make an effort to arrive on time. That is discipline.
    Say you arrive late, and you keep the other person waiting, then you gloss over it saying "time is only a social construct". You're an idiot.

On "courage". Slagging off Grand Torino on the internet- nope, not courage.
    Confronting him in person, one to one - yes.

Going to Roosky on a bus with a bunch of fellow lefties and shouting at the locals - nope.
    Grand Torino going to Roosky and walking into that hostile crowd of lefties - yes.

These are real concepts, in real life situations, not social constructs.

Doing his bit to protect our society? Shilling for a few quid and attention morelike.

Sorry, what? Are you saying a social construct can't be observed in a real life? I think it's you that doesn't understand what a social construct is. To your credit you have a better understanding than this idiot, who seems to think they don't exist.

You seem pretty high on this character if you think him turning up to that Roosky protest was some great act of courage, the attendees weren't exactly dangerous looking. I don't think slagging this chancer off to his face would take much courage either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

At least the millennial has the potential to be a sane contributor to society...

Is my tax money going to pay dole for this fella?

Of course it is. He's a professional scrounger, living in his mam's shed and scabbing off the loopers who actually pay attention to him, constantly begging for 'donations'.

Sorry, what? Are you saying a social construct can't be observed in a real life? I think it's you that doesn't understand what a social construct is.
    Of course it can. But we know when its just a social construct, and we are fine with that. The problem nowadays is that everything is being called a social construct, even when its not, just like you claimed the attributes on GTs list were social constructs.

For example, in the past men generally wore trousers and women wore skirts. That was a convention or a social construct.
    Now you have somebody with balls and penis wearing a skirt, saying gender is only a social construct, and declaring themselves to be a woman.

Just look at the photo of this gob****e; thinking he is great for winning a ladies bike race. Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Of course it can. But we know when its just a social construct, and we are fine with that. The problem nowadays is that everything is being called a social construct, even when its not, just like you claimed the attributes on GTs list were social constructs.

For example, in the past men generally wore trousers and women wore skirts. That was a convention or a social construct.
    Now you have somebody with balls and penis wearing a skirt, saying gender is only a social construct, and declaring themselves to be a woman.

Just look at the photo of this gob****e; thinking he is great for winning a ladies bike race. Idiot.

Genuine questions

1. How has this impacted on your life in any way shape or form?

2. How do you forsee this impacting on your life in any way shape or form in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Im sure Rachel Mckinnon gives too ****es about what the rowan croft fanboys think of her.

Genuine questions

1. How has this impacted on your life in any way shape or form?

2. How do you forsee this impacting on your life in any way shape or form in the future?
    It has zero impact on me.
    I was simply trying to explain the use/misuse of "social construct" and used it as an example.

Look, GT had a table there, with two lists of what you might call buzzwords.
    One list he considers to be genuine virtues, and he contrasts these with the kind of PC nonsense that kids are being indoctrinated with in school these days. (though he doesn't mention schools - that's just me adding that in)

I understood straight away what his table was about, but obviously some other people seeing it didn't. Maybe he should add in some some short explanation at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I was simply trying to explain the use/misuse of "social construct" and used it as an example.

One list he considers to be genuine virtues, and he contrasts these with the kind of PC nonsense that kids are being indoctrinated with in school these days. (though he doesn't mention schools - that's just me adding that in)

I understood straight away what his table was about, but obviously some other people seeing it didn't. Maybe he should add in some some short explanation at the top.

Would you give over. He's just throwing about a load of alt-right terms and buzzwords in an appeal to curry favour with that audience. Presumably before asking for 'donations' to help continue their struggle against the SJW menace or some other nonsense.

"The oppression olympics" "virtue signalling", I'm only surprised he doesn't award himself an ALPHA score of 100 and a -100 on the snowflake scale.

So why add this part

Now don't get me wrong, i don't think transgender males shoukd be allowed compete in womens events but thats a discussion for another time in another thread. But it doesnt bother me the way it seems to have bothered you.

You chose to get upset and call someone you dont know names because they have done something that has not nor will eemver impact your life in any way shape or form.

You chose to get upset and call someone you dont know names because they have done something that has not nor will eemver impact your life in any way shape or form.
    I'm not upset, as I just said it has zero impact on me.
    He is standing there on the podium in the photo, towering over his rivals and grinning, when he should be embarrassed and ashamed. I feel bad for the ladies he thinks he beat.

Chivalry is also there on GTs list - some of us will intuitively understand it, but others never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

He is standing there on the podium in the photo, towering over his rivals and grinning, when he should be embarrassed and ashamed. I feel bad for the ladies he thinks he beat.

Chivalry is also there on GTs list - some of us will intuitively understand it, but others never will.

Wait, his followers have stalked and harassed women who protested his Rooskey crap. He actively encouraged it. But he's chivalrous?

batgoat wrote: »
    Wait, his followers have stalked and harassed women who protested his Rooskey crap.
    Can you elaborate? Preferably with some evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Once upon a time I thought that people on the right would generally dislike scroungers looking for handouts.

Welcome to the nutty stage of Gamergate, I guess.

Does this guy not have a real job or is he basically unemployable?

You obviously are though.

His list

1. Integrity - What integrity does he have when he shoves his little furry mic in someones face and shouts at them?

2. Discipline- If he was disciplined he would be working and contributing to society not begging for handouts.

3. Chivalry - Not very chivalrous to shout at people and use his size to bully his way to the front to accost people.

4. Courage - what "courage" has he shown? Shouting at a bunch of elderly people? Shoving his mic in peoples faces? Making ludicrous claims on his youtube channel?

5. Responsibly- Would rather bum off the gullible than get a job.

Yeah, thats a great man to look up to :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

You obviously are though.

His list

1. Integrity - What integrity does he have when he shoves his little furry mic in someones face and shouts at them?

2. Discipline- If he was disciplined he would be working and contributing to society not begging for handouts.

3. Chivalry - Not very chivalrous to shout at people and use his size to bully his way to the front to accost people.

4. Courage - what "courage" has he shown? Shouting at a bunch of elderly people? Shoving his mic in peoples faces? Making ludicrous claims on his youtube channel?

5. Responsibly- Would rather bum off the gullible than get a job.

Yeah, thats a great man to look up to :rolleyes:

Put your Tv glasses on and watch the video again, old timer. He never put his hands on anyone he got surrounded by a load of weirdos who were pushing him and getting in his face. He's a martial artist he wouldn't assault any of them old cùnts, If he wanted to he could destroy the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Put your Tv glasses on and watch the video again, old timer. He never put his hands on anyone he got surrounded by a load of weirdos who were pushing him and getting in his face. He's a martial artist he wouldn't assault any of them old cùnts, If he wanted to he could destroy the lot of them.

Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Do you sleep in Gran Torino Pajama's?

Put your own glasses on and maybe learn to read kiddo, nowhere did i claim he laid hands on anyone.

Maybe you should contact him.and get a few lessons in chivalry yourself :rolleyes:

Martial artist lol, he's a welfare artist, draws the dole every week.

People who spend all day on boards.ie complaining that GT is work-shy :)

I personally have no issue with somebody being on the dole if they are either looking for work, or educating themselves, or doing something useful.

BTW I have no idea whether GT is on the dole or not. And don't care.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm only surprised he doesn't award himself an ALPHA score of 100 and a -100 on the snowflake scale.
    :pac:

Does this guy not have a real job or is he basically unemployable?

He’s a British soldier by trade who set up as a builder when he came home. He learned ‘how to do carpentry on youtube’ and his building business collapsed before long. Now he’s a self-confessed ‘full time youtube content creator.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

The reasons why africa was less advanced technologically has already been explained on the thread so i wont repeat it.

I'd like to know your thoughts on the matter?

I don't think Africa is pulling its weight in the world like it should be... and I think they have received too much foreign aid, which in many cases is not being used to create better infrastructure and improve standards.
    Your premise seems to be that europeans were militarily stronger so that means they were more intelligent than africans.

Yes, they were more capable and more advanced on a whole as societies. Military power (particularly back then) was a very strong indicator of how advanced you were as a nation. And your economy needed to be reasonably robust, to enable the allocation of funds for military spending. Even in recent history, military advancements have been a strong indicator of general advancement in society and levels of prosperity.

The internet, for example, was a military creation... borne out of the necessity for greater and more sophisticated methods of covert communication. ;)
    You also seem to think that because african nations were colonised that that has any bearing on today.

It does... I'm not saying it has to of course. But in the case of Africa, I think the same lack of advancement that existed back then, still largely exists today! (relative to the generation). Africa is still struggling to keep up with the rest of the world - and colonisation cannot be the sole causative factor behind this... if it is, then how do you explain other colonised regions that were pretty much just as poor and underdeveloped in previous generations, but are now very prosperous and in some cases even more so than their old colonial masters!?
    You also seem to think that "intelligence" is some great tool for measuring populations.

Depends what you mean by intelligence?

I would say things like civic duty, attitude towards corruption, attitude towards crime, willingness to sacrifice for the greater good, selflessness, dedication, hard work etc... these qualities are just as important as someone's average IQ level... and they seem to be lacking in many African nations.

Don't forget, countries like Ireland and many others would have scored quite poorly in generalised IQ tests and many other tests in our post colonial period... but we had some of those other qualities in abundance, which is why we managed to drag our nation out of poverty and become competitive on the world stage!
    I could go on but frankly your posts are not worth the effort. They read like a particularly poor post by a newbie on stormfront.

Tell me more about stormfront...? you seem quite clued in...;) I don't frequent such places. These are my own authentic opinions, not the opinions of any larger movement or group in society!

Tell me more about stormfront...? you seem quite clued in...;) I don't frequent such places. These are my own authentic opinions, not the opinions of any larger movement or group in society!

You know the world is messed up when lefties spend more time on stormfront that actual Nazis. It's s full time job for some of these morons.

The number of low post count reregs that support this gob****e is very telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

The number of low post count reregs that support this gob****e is very telling.

Same on any thread which references the alt right triggers, the fash like to employ the Anglin propaganda handbook. Laughably transparent.

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »
    Same on any thread which references the alt right triggers, the fash like to employ the Anglin propaganda handbook. Laughably transparent.

You need to get out more pal, that's embarrassing stuff right there. "The fash" "Anglin propaganda handbook"

Jesus Christ, if you're Irish you need a slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Did he get the van fixed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 AbyssofPus

The problem with him and the likes of Gemma O' is they lose me on the 'Christian country' thing. Christianity is as alien to Ireland as Islam. The legacy of Christianity on this island has also been utterly appalling too.

If there was a Secular, Satanic or best of all, Pagan minded nationalist party for Ireland they would get my support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

AbyssofPus wrote: »
    If there was a Secular, Satanic or best of all, Pagan minded nationalist party for Ireland they would get my support.
    Yeah like thats gonna happen :rolleyes:

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

Yeah like thats gonna happen :rolleyes:

We can only pray it may happen :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Satanic or pagan? Great. Tubby lasses and goths wearing black holding the blessed rubber dagger of the earth mother burning sage. Yeah, like adding in more complete effing nonsense would be a positive step forward for the country. :rolleyes:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

:pac::pac::pac:
    Wind yourself in there, he's a few months of BJJ under his belt from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Very interesting interview with John Connors on the Grand Torino sit, just uploaded.

Wouldn't be a fan of Connors but very interesting how he says that when he came out as pro life, he lost a number of speaking engagements and lost two films he had been hired to act. Seems that even been a minority does not protect you if you hold the "wrong" opinions.

A lot of the interview is Connors blaming of society for all the ills of the Travellers nonsense, and Croft gives him a soft interview with regard to accountability, but it is certainly worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Wouldn't be a fan of Connors but very interesting how he says that when he came out as pro life, he lost a number of speaking engagements and lost two films he had been hired to act. Seems that even been a minority does not protect you if you hold the "wrong" opinions.

]

Speaking engagements are completely understandable if someone comes out so vocally against something which the organisation or group supports.
    For example we wouldn't expect too many groups to continue with speaking engagements they had Israel Falou booked for.

Did he get specific on things?

Film roles, perhaps he did lose a couple and that's not really on. But Conors has a history of playing the victim so its very hard to say he lost film roles based on his belief on abortion without any evidence that that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Did he get specific on things? Film roles, perhaps he did lose a couple and that's not really on. But Conors has a history of playing the victim so its very hard to say he lost film roles based on his belief on abortion without any evidence that that was the case.

He said, in definitive terms, that he had speaking engagements booked. But did not say where. He directly attributed the cancelling of those engagements to his voicing of his opinions on abortion. It is only short, about twenty minutes. But they plan to do more by the sound of it. And Connors is planning on having a podcast program with some rapper from Darndale which they are starting in a few months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did Connors just come out as pro life or did he verbally mock/attack pro choicers?

I can't remember exactly

• Advertisement
Advertisement