Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father-in-law and Toyota Avensis

• 30-12-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Every 3 years my father-in-law goes to his local Toyota garage and buys a brand new Avensis.
    He is certainly a creature of habit.

Anyway trouble is as Toyota are no longer making the Avensis he doesn’t know what to buy.
    He likes the size and price of the Avensis.
    He isn’t really into cars but likes a new car and the size of the Avensis.

Any ideas on an alternative?

(He always trades in and pays cash. Budget is around €30k)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Mod edit, not helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had a relative in a similiar bind. Retired gentleman with dodgy hips/knees and he went for a rav4 and hasn't looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Suggest to him that he take a test drive in the new Corolla. It's very nearly as big as an Avensis.

If that doesn't suit then a Skoda Superb might fit the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

We changed from an Avensis to a Rav Hybrid earlier this year.

The boot size is slightly smaller but the petrol consumption (we had a diesel) is much higher. The car itself is much higher off the ground (I prefer that element) but my elderly Mum has to be careful getting in and out.

The seats in the front are much more comfortable, but you are sitting on the battery in the back, so apparently you don't sink down into the seats as much, that said it is still very comfortable.

The Rav Hybrid is also an automatic and battery so much more silent and easier for someone with shoulder or strength issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yeah I'd be looking at the bigger of the Corollas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

elperello wrote: »
    Suggest to him that he take a test drive in the new Corolla. It's very nearly as big as an Avensis.

If that doesn't suit then a Skoda Superb might fit the bill.

Oh I should of menction that boot size is important. He plays golf so likes to be able to get two sets of clubs in the boot.

I reckon the Corolla’s boot might be too small. Superb might be an option.

He thinks the RAV4 is too expensive.

logie101 wrote: »
    Oh I should of menction that boot size is important. He plays golf so likes to be able to get two sets of clubs in the boot.

I reckon the Corolla’s boot might be too small. Superb might be an option.

He thinks the RAV4 is too expensive.

Yes, might be an issue for two sets in a Corolla. There is a very nice looking estate in the new Corolla range though which might be worth a look. I don't play golf myself but I know golfers often find an estate useful.

The Skoda saloon boot is very big.

He might be right about the RAV 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Octavia estate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

New Camry? It's most likely what I'll get to replace my Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

ba_barabus wrote: »
    New Camry? It's most likely what I'll get to replace my Avensis.

Ye but the new Camry is quiet a bit more expensive than the Avensis. So I doubt he would want to spend more than €30k ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Corolla estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would selling car private not get him more money then trading in?

Toyota are pushing away from diesel so they are really push hybrid.

Would he look at the Mondeo? I know they are meant to be going in 2020 though... Could be 2022 can't recall.

If he is a Toyota man he may well be disappointed going to something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Would selling car private not get him more money then trading in?

Toyota are pushing away from diesel so they are really push hybrid.

Would he look at the Mondeo? I know they are meant to be going in 2020 though... Could be 2022 can't recall.

If he is a Toyota man he may well be disappointed going to something else.

A rural-ish dealer will bite your hand off for a clean 1 owner d4d avensis as they know its an easy re-sale

A rural-ish dealer will bite your hand off for a clean 1 owner d4d avensis as they know its an easy re-sale

Oh I agree but price is the thing...

I'm actually disappointed the avensis is been dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Nobody was buying them, though, that's the problem. Even with the new Camry they're saying they only expect 400 people to buy them next year (I'd be surprised if it was that high given the prices - if I was spending €40k+ on a new car I'd be after a 3 series as it's only a few grand more).

Corolla is very expensive for what it is, I'd be looking at a Mondeo or a Superb if I were the OP, Mondeo starts at €30k and comes with a 2.0 diesel Zetec, so it will be decently equipped and have an engine with a bit of poke as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I have a Rav4 and am thinking of changing it because I am afraid no one will want diesel in a few years.

I dont really want the replacement Rav4 because its automatic and hybrid and I am afraid it will guzzle fuel.

Someone suggested buying a small audi SUV but then I read in the Guardian that Audi is part of the vw group and cars in this group are giving lots of trouble with timing belts etc. Does anyone know anything about Audis.

Oh I agree but price is the thing...

I'm actually disappointed the avensis is been dropped.

They should have called the new Corolla the new Avensis in Ireland. Everyone happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

i40 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

i40 ?

That would be a step down imho. The i40 is an unpleasant enough car.

A kia might be a good shout, unlike here, Kia is seen as the nicer and more respected brand in Europe whereas the reverse is true in Ireland. Kia far outsells Hyundai on the continent. A colleague has a niro hybrid and it is a really nice car, specced well and commodious. Boot space is very decent.

An i40 being a Hyundai will be chewing through clutches unless it's an automatic.

• Advertisement

A kia might be a good shout, unlike here, Kia is seen as the nicer and more respected brand in Europe whereas the reverse is true in Ireland. Kia far outsells Hyundai on the continent. A colleague has a niro hybrid and it is a really nice car, specced well and commodious. Boot space is very decent.

Fair enough. Was looking at size, similar shape and under €30k.

My old boy is a similar purchaser. Had a vento and an avensis.

Dives a kuga now and loves it.

Buying an ateca ourselves not a bad bus nor the karoq.

All crossovers not saloons though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’ve driven both a good bit and wouldn’t say there’s anything between them. That said, the i40 is out a long time now too and I wouldn’t buy one either (nor would I go near an Avensis if they were still selling them)

I’d actually look at the Insignia. I’d certainly have an Insignia over a Mondeo. Passat is probably too expensive for the OPs dad but would probably cost less when resale is considered.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’ve driven both a good bit and wouldn’t say there’s anything between them. That said, the i40 is out a long time now too and I wouldn’t buy one either (nor would I go near an Avensis if they were still selling them)

I’d actually look at the Insignia. I’d certainly have an Insignia over a Mondeo. Passat is probably too expensive for the OPs dad but would probably cost less when resale is considered.

Has the GM engines improved ??

Wife's brothers one blew up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

colm_mcm wrote: »

Mondeo are head and shoulders above the insignia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Skoda Octavia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I love the amount of Skoda posts....

Anyway was talking to a relative about this same point yesterday. He is getting on a bit so I was recommending height

The new Rav is proper job and a lot more economical than previous version, Toyota have available now but I was saying the C-HR, great car, easy on petrol and roomy enough for 5 adults on short trips....boot size is not great is the only issue you would have

Really in that case new RAV4 would be the job

Other option is Corolla touring sport hybrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Corolla hybrid starts at €27k so it's very unlikely that your going to get a Rav4 for near 30k.

If he likes the Avensis then the new Honda Civic saloon is worth a look at. It's not too far off the dimensions of the old Avensis and it still has a decent sized boot. It's available in both 1.0 litre turbo petrol and 1.6 litre turbo diesel so whichever suits you and being a Honda it's going to have the reliability and effortless ownership that your father has been used to up to now. Civic saloon styling has been toned down too to appeal to the more conservative buyers.

A detailed video here once you ignore the sales speal:

I would say and I know a few of these Toyota buyers

Your wasting your time with alternatives. They will buy what is in the Toyota range, simple as that. Nothing wrong with that and the Toyota is a great car, Especially the hybrids....do I would be saying test the CHR and the the Corolla touring....I would expect the CHR will be a winner

Has the GM engines improved ??

Wife's brothers one blew up.

I think they're carried over from the old car actually. The petrol engines are fine in any case.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would say and I know a few of these Toyota buyers

Your wasting your time with alternatives. They will buy what is in the Toyota range, simple as that. Nothing wrong with that and the Toyota is a great car, Especially the hybrids....do I would be saying test the CHR and the the Corolla touring....I would expect the CHR will be a winner

I know a few myself. All change every 3 or 4 years. Country fellas in 50s and 60s.

2 are moving from Toyota. Purely as they want cars that can tow a decent trailer. New RAV hybrid has tiny towing capacity.

One going Skoda, other Ford.

Another over the road has a Corolla saloon and tank of white diesel, reckons he'll have one of the last new diesel corollas.

Times change.

I know a few myself. All change every 3 or 4 years. Country fellas in 50s and 60s.

2 are moving from Toyota. Purely as they want cars that can tow a decent trailer. New RAV hybrid has tiny towing capacity.

One going Skoda, other Ford.

Another over the road has a Corolla saloon and tank of white diesel, reckons he'll have one of the last new diesel corollas.

Times change.

Not according to Toyota, was talking to a dealer yesterday, based in countryside, would have a lot of above customers and they are selling very well

Skoda, I will never see the attraction of driving a tractor version of a VW....at least if going for a cheap VW look at the Seat

Not according to Toyota, was talking to a dealer yesterday, based in countryside, would have a lot of above customers and they are selling very well

Skoda, I will never see the attraction of driving a tractor version of a VW....at least if going for a cheap VW look at the Seat

Only posting anecdotally.

Fella going Ford has had over 20 Toyotas.

Far prefer seat to skoda myself, buying one right now. But can't see the snob value in any toyota over a nice superb.

Of course a dealer is going to say their product is flying out the door. It's his job and he is never going to say that his product isn't selling well as it just contributes to low confidence in the product by the consumer. The new car sales for Q1 will prove how good or bad Toyota are doing rather than dealer talk.

Well said.

Look at all the ads about taking deposits and supply restrictions, and so on. Seems like they've mucked up big time with supply for the first quarter of next year.

I can't see them shifting many cars to begin with anyway. The Corolla is outrageously overpriced as well (admittedly it looks like their best effort since the 2002 model came out, and it seems to have received very favourable reviews thus far, too), you could get an Avensis with a bit of spec for the same money only a few years ago.

I don't even think dealers have demo models of the new Corolla or Rav4 yet as they don't go on sale till March afaik. You would want to be fair daft to be buying a new model that isn't even available to view or test drive yet especially given the price increases over the old ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

For 30k the Mondeo would be my choice but he’d struggle to get a decent trade outside the Toyota network as your typical buyer also typically trades in every three years a 6+ year old version etc

My parents would be in the same boat as OP's FIL as well.

We have a 2005 Mk2 1.8 with 209,000 miles, and a 2010 D-4D (Mk3 model) with 219,000 miles. The diesel is still on the original turbo, clutch and DMF. I don't think it has a DPF. We've had them since new.

Don't know what they're going to do, their driving is not suitable for hybrid, they don't like (or need) an SUV like a RAV4, they don't like automatics, and if they were going to spend Camry money they'd get a BMW or something that's actually worth €40k.

I think they're just going to keep them both going until such time as there is a major component failure or fail an NCT for something like rust in the sills or something else that would be very expensive to put right, being Toyotas they'll be going for a while yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I would try Corolla first then try a Mazda6, an Octavia or if he didn't mind god-awfully looking cars - the Civic estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bicycle wrote: »
    We changed from an Avensis to a Rav Hybrid earlier this year.

The boot size is slightly smaller but the petrol consumption (we had a diesel) is much higher. The car itself is much higher off the ground (I prefer that element) but my elderly Mum has to be careful getting in and out.

The seats in the front are much more comfortable, but you are sitting on the battery in the back, so apparently you don't sink down into the seats as much, that said it is still very comfortable.

The Rav Hybrid is also an automatic and battery so much more silent and easier for someone with shoulder or strength issues.

Interesting you say fuel economy is much higher- Toyota marketing spin would have you believe otherwise. Granted the Rav4 would be slightly heavier than an Avensis I don’t think they’ll work out more economical than a diesel fit anyone doing mileage.
    Mazda 6 is probably closest in terms of Japanese family saloon barge in the traditional sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think the Opel Insignia is very similar to the Avensis.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Of course a dealer is going to say their product is flying out the door. It's his job and he is never going to say that his product isn't selling well as it just contributes to low confidence in the product by the consumer. The new car sales for Q1 will prove how good or bad Toyota are doing rather than dealer talk.

I think the Hybrid PR spin has yet to fully play out in Toyota sales figures in Ireland- a lot of their sales were the traditional types that bought an Avensis or Corolla diesel- it’s going to be quite a hard sell I reckon to get them to go petrol hybrid, not a chance if they are doing a little towing. Same for the RAV4.
    The price rises as well are not going to help as the competition such as Skoda and Peugeot have improved considerably with a full complement of fuel options

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Mondeo are head and shoulders above the insignia

Certainly not the new model it isn’t it. Have driven both

I think for the first time since the 70s some of Toyota’s market share is really there for the taking for other Marques that want to woo loyal buyers lukewarm on petrol hybrids. Toyota’s range is looking expensive too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Anecdotes from boys in blue dont see much praise for the hyundai i 40-dont take as much hardship as the mondeos took in t heir day.Must have been a cheap tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

A Camry, it’s a no brainer. If he wants to waste money and buy new what’s the difference in afew k... he must be a big boy buying new....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Your clearly ignorant, Skoda vw and Audi all the same but different badges ... just to keep fools happy...

LillySV wrote: »
    Your clearly ignorant, Skoda vw and Audi all the same but different badges ... just to keep fools happy...

And what do you think Toyota, Lexus and Daihatsu do? People in glasshouses and all that !

LillySV wrote: »

Clearly you havent a clue what your talking about....they are far from the same when you drive them

Yes engine parts are common between each but comparing an Audi to a Skoda is laughable

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't even think dealers have demo models of the new Corolla or Rav4 yet as they don't go on sale till March afaik. You would want to be fair daft to be buying a new model that isn't even available to view or test drive yet especially given the price increases over the old ones.

Funny, I was sitting in the RAV4 the other day, Toyota dealers took delivery of the demo models before Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

Toyota gambling on future direction of Ice.

You could try Skoda Octavia. The one my missus got last year 181 was a 2.0l manual style level for 29000. But I see on price list the manual is no longer on the market, so he'd be looking at an automatic now. The one we have is a great car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement