Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climote in a zoned house?

Options
  • 30-12-2018 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

We're doing our annual electricity supplier move over. We're moving to airtricity who are offering either 20% off our bill or 10% off but also installing climote with echo dot for free. We have a 3 zoned house with EPH control panel (upstairs, downstairs and water) which was only put in about 2 years ago so I'm a bit concerned as to how it works. We've also been told on numerous occasions that Climote is poor by comparison to Nest or Hive. My question is, is there a reason not to get it while it's completely free? I understand that we'll have to pay for climote subscription after a year or something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

yellow hen wrote: »
    We're doing our annual electricity supplier move over. We're moving to airtricity who are offering either 20% off our bill or 10% off but also installing climote with echo dot for free. We have a 3 zoned house with EPH control panel (upstairs, downstairs and water) which was only put in about 2 years ago so I'm a bit concerned as to how it works. We've also been told on numerous occasions that Climote is poor by comparison to Nest or Hive. My question is, is there a reason not to get it while it's completely free? I understand that we'll have to pay for climote subscription after a year or something.

What do you want it to do is probably the main question

It will work with zones no problem

I have it 3-4 years now and love it but it does depend on your requirements

People saying Nest etc are better is because they have those installed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What do you want it to do is probably the main question

It will work with zones no problem

I have it 3-4 years now and love it but it does depend on your requirements

People saying Nest etc are better is because they have those installed

Just turn on/off the heat from our phones. Sorry to be ignorant, but what else can they do? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just turn on/off the heat from our phones. Sorry to be ignorant, but what else can they do? :o

Dual zone, hot water etc.

If that is all your requirements the Climote is perfect, app is good and stable. You get first 12 months free and then can buy yearly or 3 year subscription, 3 year cheaper

Ask about the thermostat that goes with climote so you can see the temp in house, very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

yellow hen wrote:
    Just turn on/off the heat from our phones. Sorry to be ignorant, but what else can they do?

You can buy a 3 channel wifi switch on eBay for €20. Compatible with Google and Alexa. Simple to setup and will work remotely

• Advertisement

Climote was free with airtricity when I swapped so I guess OP is getting the same

Echo dot is interesting? Does it support the dot?

Buying a cheap thing off internet for standard home user is pointless as it will never work...Climote works and with subscription you get full support, guys are really good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Issues with climote I've found after a year of it:

only 1 temperture setting e.g. can't have a different temperature setting for day/night.

Can only have 3 (I think) blocks of heat on per day,means you have to have it "on" or longer periods.

Temperature control isn't very tight, temperature set at 21, it waits until it's at 19 (for a while) before it brings the boiler back on. Means you have cold spells every so often, if you set it at 22 then you get hot spells instead.

Don't have any experience with Nest etc to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishfire

Had this discussion in another thread recently enough.

Climote is dead end in my opinion the last year or so, only practical use case is in a location with no WiFi in home. It is never free and never will be, there is a SIM card in it which must be maintained so while you're getting the install for free and subscription for 1-2 years, eventually it will stop working remotely and from what I remember it's steep enough to renew the subscription. If an energy supplier installs it then usually you get 1 year free but you would need to read the fine print, they may maintain it as long as you are a customer.

Since you have the zonings in your system already you have 2 choices, one is the WiFi time switches which is pretty much just remote control. Depending on the one you choose it may be able to be automated with geofences etc.

The other option is a proper smart heating controller such as nest. Given the zonings you have this would give you full control of the heating and hot water and pretty much make the heating into a "set and forget" system.

Depends on what you want and are willing to pay, but a smart thermostat with the added zones and thermostats would be an ideal system in your setup. You also gain the Google Home/Alexa integrations and it's subscription free, just to maintain the WiFi connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Buying a cheap thing off internet for standard home user is pointless as it will never work...Climote works and with subscription you get full support, guys are really good as well

Shefwedfan wrote:

They work, they're easy to install and setup and if it's only remote control and timing that's needed they're perfect.

For 20 euro, one would be worth giving a go for a month or so and see

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Echo dot is interesting? Does it support the dot?

Yes.
    Devices such as the Nest thermostat and Sonoff offerings will work seamlessly with Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
    Buying a cheap thing off internet for standard home user is pointless as it will never work

....except that Sonoff (for example) works exceptionally well.

These units cost from €10 up depending on features. I paid €20 for my Sonoff TH16, the app shows me the current temperature and humidity. I found it easy to set up, reliable and easy to integrate to Google Home.

Here is a really good thread about them on the Home Automation & Internet of Things (IOT) forum.

Be warned, they are highly addictive :D:)
    ...Climote works and with subscription you get full support, guys are really good as well

This is the bit that really surprises me, why would anyone pay a subscription for this service?
    This is 100% free with Hive, Nest, Sonoff etc.

If you want a 2, 3, 4 or whatever zone setup no problem just buy a Sonoff per zone. Each zone can be given a custom name and have an independent 7 day timer, easy peasy :)

s-l300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yeah I have a couple of sonoff devices setup. They work very well.

I have bought a couple of Sonoff devices to work with my Alexa. On the way in post, just the plugs for the moment

My issue with the DIY setup is you would need some knowledge of the electrical setup.

Its not like you pull out your current heating controller and slot this in. You have to work out the entire setup and how the system is connected....not really a plug and play

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^ Correct, however the reality is that Sonoff is no less plug and play than any of the alternatives such as Climote, Nest, Hive etc.

2011 wrote: »
    ^^^ Correct, however the reality is that Sonoff is no less plug and play than any of the alternatives such as Climote, Nest, Hive etc.

I agree again. But trying to get someone to install an adhoc solution will be impossible.

With the Climote I got installed as part of the freebie and when I moved house I brought with me, the guys just rang the support people and installed in a few mins......

If you want to do in my house then no problm...how much you charge? :P

I agree again. But trying to get someone to install an adhoc solution will be impossible.

Any electrician can do this for you. I know that they are a bit thin on the ground at the moment but it is better to pay a few bob extra once than to pay a monthly fee indefinitely.
    If you want to do in my house then no problm...how much you charge? :P

If you post your location someone on the forum may be able to do this for you.
    I don’t work on my tools anymore (apart from my own home).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have climote. It costs 18 euros per year. It works very well. The main advantage is that it will control 3 zones, where if you go for hive /nest I think you need two or three devices. This leaves climote much better value for 3 zones. Over the first 10 years or so.

I was thinking of changing the gas boiler and controls. I asked on a plumbing Facebook group with over 2000 plumbers as members, what was the best giving three options. Hive, nest & climote. One plumber added a 4th option EPH Ember. To my surprise the EPH Ember got around 90 percent of the votes from my fellow plumbers. I then asked the regular plumbers on the plumbing forum here on boards.ie and again the Ember was the favourite. The reason given was the embers is a higher quality & the backup service is second to none. They are also an Irish company.

I haven't changed from the climote yet so have no first hand experience with the Ember but the vast majority of RGI gas installers voted for it in my survey.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have climote. It costs 18 euros per year. It works very well. The main advantage is that it will control 3 zones, where if you go for hive /nest I think you need two or three devices. This leaves climote much better value for 3 zones. Over the first 10 years or so.

I was thinking of changing the gas boiler and controls. I asked on a plumbing Facebook group with over 2000 plumbers as members, what was the best giving three options. Hive, nest & climote. One plumber added a 4th option EPH Ember. To my surprise the EPH Ember got around 90 percent of the votes from my fellow plumbers. I then asked the regular plumbers on the plumbing forum here on boards.ie and again the Ember was the favourite. The reason given was the embers is a higher quality & the backup service is second to none. They are also an Irish company.

I haven't changed from the climote yet so have no first hand experience with the Ember but the vast majority of RGI gas installers voted for it in my survey.

I know I was offered a 3 year renewal before and it worked out cheaper than the yearly rate but I am always looking for alternatives so I kept the yearly contract...not in the second year of renewal so should have gone 3 years. I got first year free so have it nearly 3 years now and no hassle...

A few times the heating turned on without me telling it to but they done quick firmware upgrade and sorted.....

Irish company as well so that is why I wanted to go with them.....

As I said above, anytime I rang the guys in support they can't do enough for me.

Shefwedfan wrote:
    As I said above, anytime I rang the guys in support they can't do enough for me.

I can't fault the climote or backup service either.

I'd never need to have more than three timers per day but I have can see how this could be an issue for some people

Sleeper12 wrote: »

True if you go with those examples.

However with Sonoff you can have as many zones as you wish at about €20 per zone each with independent temperature measurement and no running cost. I’m not aware of anyone having any issues with Sonoff to date.

Never heard of Ember. Does it work with Google Home and Alexa?

I should add that my only concern is that Sonoff is Chinese and therefore I would not be comfortable with having it directly switching more that 2 or 3 amps (even though it may be rated for far more). Although CE marked I do not think it genuine.

• Advertisement

Just got Climote working on my Alexa:-)

2011 wrote:
    Never heard of Ember. Does it work with Google Home and Alexa?

I'd never heard of it myself before I asked on the plumbing Facebook group. The fact that I hadn't heard of it wasn't a big deal but the fact that so many gas installers rated it above all others knocked me for six

I don't have Ember myself so my knowledge is limited but I don't think it works with Google home or Alexa. I'd imagine a future software update might change this. It does come a 5 years warranty. I think this is a big selling point with the installers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Just got Climote working on my Alexa:-)

Care to share the details?

Never mind just found it!

http://www.climote.ie/alexa/alexa-faqs/

Advertisement