Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportive, Duleek, 6th January.

Options
  • 30-12-2018 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

The Annual Duleek Parish Sportive will take place at 10.00am on Sunday 6th January. It starts at 10.00am from Duleek Primary School. There are two spins, 80kms and 45kms. There will be refreshments in the school after the cycle.

This is always a great cycle, well organised and marshalled.
    I think, it is a bit shorter this year.

Weather forecast looks good.

Comments

Possibility of me being able to do this if I can get the kids minded. Is there a CI license needed or can you get one for the day Eamon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If one is needed, you can get it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What sort of $$$ are we talking about?

(I'd be pushing my luck at home anyway since I'm doing an Audax the day before but I always enjoy doing 'off season' sportives!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Any Strava links to the routes?

Entry is €20.00 on the day.

• Advertisement

Route is:
    Duleek, Garlow X, Bective, Summerhill, Dunsany, Skryne, Kilmoone, Duleek.
    That's the 80km.
    I don't know the route for the short spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Am I right in thinking that this generally considered a 'fast' one?

I did it last year. My average speed was about 33kph. I think, I was in the first group home. It's quite a fast course, fairly flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I did it last year. My average speed was about 33kph. I think, I was in the first group home. It's quite a fast course, fairly flat.

It would need to be all downhill for me to average that, but I think I'll give it a lash as I'll be off shift then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Anyone knows if there is any stop in the 80km spin?

• Advertisement

Galego wrote:

I don't think so. Too cold to be stopping at this time of year anyway.

Galego wrote: »

I don't think so, either.
    Certainly, last year there was no stop.

.... It starts at 10.00am from Duleek Primary School....
    Google informs me that there are 2 primary schools in Duleek in different locations! Is it the boys or girls?

The Sportive starts at the new school.
    It's on the outskirts of Duleek on the Balrath road, L1610.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not often you get a chief super directing traffic :D

Very well run event that seems to be kept well secret. Thanks for spilling the beans Eamonnator.

Google informs me that there are 2 primary schools in Duleek in different locations! Is it the boys or girls?

Both are in the same site

ED E wrote: »
    Not often you get a chief super directing traffic :D

Very well run event that seems to be kept well secret. Thanks for spilling the beans Eamonnator.

You'll be giving him a big head, he's only a super, he does a great job, he's a good lad. He's very involved in one of the local cycling clubs.
    I'm told, 180 signed on this morning, more than in previous years.
    There was a huge contingent from Drogheda Triathlon Club, over 50.
    It was a fast spin for me, average 33.8kph.
    There was a bit of a spill at Garlow X. I was in front of it, but 8 or 9 riders came down. I don't think there were any injuries.
    Marshalling was good and there were a few motor bike marshals around.
    Coffee and sandwiches were very welcome at the end, and I got a lovely cupcake.

The organisers seem to be catering for the faster cyclists only. Everyone was gone home when I arrived back at 1.25pm. My legs were a bit heavy after doing an audax yesterday so I only averaged 25km/h. I'm glad I didn't bring a group of leisure cyclists with me. It would have been a bit embarrassing if I said there was refreshments at the end! :o

The organisers seem to be catering for the faster cyclists only. Everyone was gone home when I arrived back at 1.25pm. My legs were a bit heavy after doing an audax yesterday so I only averaged 25km/h. I'm glad I didn't bring a group of leisure cyclists with me. It would have been a bit embarrassing if I said there was refreshments at the end! :o

That's disappointing to hear. I always assumed, everybody was catered for.
    I know the organiser quite well. I'll pass on your comment to him. I'm sure, he'll appreciate the feedback.

That's disappointing to hear. I always assumed, everybody was catered for.
    I know the organiser quite well. I'll pass on your comment to him. I'm sure, he'll appreciate the feedback.
    Thanks Eamonnator.

It didn't bother me personally as I'm well used to going solo but I was trying to 'sell' it to a few other in the club so I was glad in the end that they didn't turn up.

An 80k flat sportive would be attractive to a lot of 'middle of the road' cyclists who would be less inclined to enter the normal hilly 120/160k routes.

(One person said they didn't attend as it wasn't in the Cycling Ireland calendar so they were suspicious about it!)

Edit: PS - i passed a few others along the route so I'm assuming I wasn't carrying the lantern rouge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Strava users have noted that the route map is a bit ehmmm, phallic, in shape.

Social media, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I wanted to do this but the wife was out last night and not home in time. Not happy...

Advertisement