Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart plug automation?

Options
  • 31-12-2018 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if I can get a smart plug and set it up so that when my mobile phone battery is at 100%, the plug switches off, and when the battery is at e.g. 80% or less, the plug switches on. (My phone charger will be plugged into the smart plug.)

Does anyone know if it's possible to do this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I'm wondering if I can get a smart plug and set it up so that when my mobile phone battery is at 100%, the plug switches off, and when the battery is at e.g. 80% or less, the plug switches on. (My phone charger will be plugged into the smart plug.)

, prob won’t be able to 80%-100% thingy but def can set a timer for how long it is to be on.

Have a look at some smart home routers, they can do a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

, prob won’t be able to 80%-100% thingy but def can set a timer for how long it is to be on.

No interest whatsoever in that approach; sure I could just use a timer instead of a smart plug to achieve that.
    Have a look at some smart home routers, they can do a lot

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Am I right in thinking that all I need to get these to pair with the shield are usb wireless adapters?

I reckon tasker should be able to do that.

tipperary wrote: »
    I reckon tasker should be able to do that.

Wrong reply? Right reply, wrong thread? Right reply, right thread, wrong quote?

Are those my feet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Right reply, right thread, wrong quote.

Tasker is probably your best bet alright. IFTTT can do similar, but its only triggers are battery under 15%, plugged in, plugged out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What’s the logic ? If the battery isn’t charging there’s no load ?

ted1 wrote: »
    What’s the logic ? If the battery isn’t charging there’s no load ?

I have a wireless charging desktop stand, and would like the charging to cease when the phone is fully charged, without me having to unplug / switch off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I have a wireless charging desktop stand, and would like the charging to cease when the phone is fully charged, without me having to unplug / switch off etc.
    If it's energy saving you are looking for, then consider the fact that your smart plug will always consume power ....always, whether it is charging or not.

If it's energy saving you are looking for, then consider the fact that your smart plug will always consume power ....always, whether it is charging or not.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that leaving a mobile charging for long periods after it's fully charged should be avoided as it's bad for the battery; that is why I want to do this.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that leaving a mobile charging for long periods after it's fully charged should be avoided as it's bad for the battery; that is why I want to do this.

Old wives tale only bad for the battery of your phone is pre 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your phone will stop charging at 100%

Old wives tale only bad for the battery of your phone is pre 2010

Wow, that's crazy - none of the 4 2018 articles I just read back that up. I guess they must all be wrong, though.

Thanks for your "advice" all the same.

ted1 wrote: »
    Your phone will stop charging at 100%

It won't; it will go into trickle charge mode, which as the name implies, is still charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wireless chargers don't cut off the same as wired ones, they keep inducing at a lower level.

Username is correct here.

Perhaps posters can disregard WHY I want do this, and answer the question - CAN this be done? If nobody knows, that's grand - I'll probably just buy a smart plug anyway and see if I can do this; I asked here as this forum generally seems very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

It can be done. How depends on what you are capable of.

Buy a sonoff s20 smart plug. Flash it with Tasmota firmware. Once done it can be turned on and off by calling a url.

https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki/Commands

Then install tasker on your phone and set a profile on it to call the on url at 80% battery and the off url command at 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

469220.jpg

469218.jpg

469220.jpg

Awesome - thank you Lucifer.

Perhaps posters can disregard WHY I want do this, and answer the question - CAN this be done? If nobody knows, that's grand - I'll probably just buy a smart plug anyway and see if I can do this; I asked here as this forum generally seems very helpful.

We we're trying to be helpful, sometimes.understanding the person's requirement can help, it's not uncommon for.peiole.to add a smart plug to reduce idle power consumption without realising the plug itself has idle power consumption.

Glad you got sorted.

Wow, that's crazy - none of the 4 2018 articles I just read back that up. I guess they must all be wrong, though.

Thanks for your "advice" all the same.

Did u forget to give the cat milk this morning, for every 4 articles that say one thing there’s 10 that say the opposite. I took the time out of my day to reply and try n help with it been New Years n all. Don’t appreciate the passive aggressive market reply. GLAD YOU GOT SORTED

• Advertisement

Exactly - so what makes you think that the ones you've read are correct? Don't believe anything on the internet (except what I say), eh? :rolleyes:

If your time is so precious that you're going to get snarky with strangers who call you out when you try to spread incorrect / irrelevant information, perhaps you should step away from the internet for a while, or be more judicious when choosing what posts to respond to. You certainly had time to have a little snipe at me.

ARE WE DOING ALL CAPS LOCK NOW? COOL. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Wow!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note: Mod actions are a rarity on this forum. Please be friendly so that we can keep it that way. Thank you.

Advertisement