Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Wildcard Weekend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

Well done chargers
    Would love if Rivers went all way and win Super Bowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm not sure how it got to that as I went to sort some stuff before the Bears game.

I only saw the two last plays for the Ravens but Romo was spot on about hitting the back in the flat for 8-10 yards. He looked wide open but Jackson was looking the other way the whole time :(
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Jackson has no future in the NFL.

Unless he improves throwing the ball of course. He's like Kapernick with a much worse arm right now. When Kaep first started teams didn't know how to deal with his running. They had no tape on him and he shredded teams. They adjusted gradually and we'll see that happen much quicker with Jackson. He'll be out of the league within a few years unless he can throw effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ultimately, I don't think so either. He's far worse than say Kaepernick, who I always thought was overrated, even.

Happy to see him muster some sort of a comeback there, though.

Will be interesting to watch next year to see if he develops and proves us wrong, but he just doesn't seem to have the skills or poise necessary to win from the pocket it seems.

Edit: Ha, just seeing Oat said it better above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Instead you give him 40 seconds and no timeouts to go 60 yards?

Yes, that's literally what I said. Much more likely that giving him 40 secs with no t/o's to go 90+ yards.
    As I said it's a 92% chance Chargers get the ball anyway, so the smart play is to go for field position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Kev8360

He did not play well today but he is far from the worst starting QB in the NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

John Brown was on track for over 1,000 yds and a FA payday before they changed the offense

He’ll be running out of Baltimore along with the other receivers ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Chargers were at 99.9% winning prob.
    QB was 3/10 25 yards.

That is all on the Chargers. They should have been up 30 the way the game went. Hardly lazy.

Yes it was all Chargers, their defense was playing lights out for most of the game and they stopped being as aggressive in the fourth quarter.

It is incredibly lazy to point to the QB for all the team's woes. Flacco showed nothing this year that would give any confidence of him doing any better than Jackson today. It 'betraying' nobody to stick with the guy who turned the team around this season and started to turn around the game today when the opportunity presented itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I was never a believer in Jackson, and reckon eagle eye is correct that he won't succeed in the NFL. But I was glad he got Baltimore back in the game, and very disappointed to see him fumble the game away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yes, that's literally what I said. Much more likely that giving him 40 secs with no t/o's to go 90+ yards.
    As I said it's a 92% chance Chargers get the ball anyway, so the smart play is to go for field position.

Yeah I get your perspective on it, just don't agree. I still take the 8% chance at a giving my team a real chance to go win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

He will not last a full NFL season with his style of play. In that game alone he was taking some heavy shots at the end of his runs. A lot of RG3 about him.

I loved him in college though, and was excited to see what he could do in the NFL, but he fumbles too much and, as others have said, quite inaccurate as a passer.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Yeah I get your perspective on it, just don't agree. I still take the 8% chance at a giving my team a real chance to go win it.

:pac:
    I get your point too, but playing the percentages is the smart play imo.

Anyway, despite thinking from the outset that the Bears Eagles game would be the least competitive, it's still the game I was looking forward to most. Can't wait to see the Soldier Field crowd.

The Cris Collinsworth slide-in Is iconic.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Yes it was all Chargers, their defense was playing lights out for most of the game and they stopped being as aggressive in the fourth quarter.

It is incredibly lazy to point to the QB for all the team's woes. Flacco showed nothing this year that would give any confidence of him doing any better than Jackson today. It 'betraying' nobody to stick with the guy who turned the team around this season and started to turn around the game today when the opportunity presented itself.

Doubling down on the lazy angle eh?

All I can say, is that it is not "giving up" on your QB to bench him when he has a statline that he had, in a game that was 99.9% won.

That the game ended the way it did, has more to do with the Chargers, than Lamar Jackson suddenly becoming the second coming of John Elway.

:pac:

Anyway, despite thinking from the outset that the Bears Eagles game would be the least competitive, it's still the game I was looking forward to most. Can't wait to see the Soldier Field crowd.

This is the game I've been looking forward to the most as well.

I don't see it as being the least competitive, in fact, I can see either team take this.

Which team do you think is going to dominate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Expecting another low scoring game here. Both defenses will be on top but I’m going to back the eagles to get enough points to get the W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Can't see past the Bears here by at least a touchdown.

I'm going Bears 24-17

Will this be the game Eagles finally use Tate properly since they traded for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

All I can say, is that it is not "giving up" on your QB to bench him when he has a statline that he had, in a game that was 99.9% won.

That the game ended the way it did, has more to do with the Chargers, than Lamar Jackson suddenly becoming the second coming of John Elway.
    It's "lazy" to suggest the issues are the QB, but not "lazy" to suggest the season is all because of the QB :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think the Bears will blow the Eagles away.
    Remember Foles had to leave the game last week? If he is hurting any it'll be exposed against this defense.
    Eagles offense has struggled against good defense all season and I think they meet the best one in the NFL tonight.

Eagles v Bears at Soldier field takes me back to the Fog Bowl game. I was watching (but didn't see it!)

This is the game I've been looking forward to the most as well.

I don't see it as being the least competitive, in fact, I can see either team take this.

Which team do you think is going to dominate?

The Bears, but in fairness almost every single time I've predicted a blowout it's been a close game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This has been the game I've been dying for all week.

Decent opening drive for Philly but it'll get a lot tougher as the game goes on I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

My only bet of the weekend is Eagles money line. I don't believe in Mitch Trubisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Doubling down on it as much as you did with keeping Jackson in being a 'Betrayal' of the rest of the team. :rolleyes:

If the game is 99.9% lost what is the benefit of bringing in a guy who showed nothing all season and is likely out the door in a few weeks? I don't think Flacco would have done better than what Jackson did in the 4th quarter and he'd matched him it would have been a complete mess of an off-season.

And the game started how it did due to the Chargers destroying the Ravens OL and in general playing a great game until the 4th quarter. At least show some semblance of consistency.

D9Male wrote: »
    My only bet of the weekend is Eagles money line. I don't believe in Mitch Trubisky.

I think he's come on so much in only his second year, and he was only a one year starter in college too (i think) so there should be plenty of room for improvement still.

If the Bears are to win I don't think they'll be putting it on Trubisky's shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭coco0981

Does anyone know why on the NBC player intros some of the players say their high school team instead of college team? Is it just a personal thing that they can say either?

Only a small thing but has always puzzled me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What a punt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What a punt!

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Doubling down on it as much as you did with keeping Jackson in being a 'Betrayal' of the rest of the team. :rolleyes:

You are entitled to your opinion, I'm not belittling it with rolling eyes emoticons. I was defending my argument against accusations of being Lazy.

That game is finished. On to the Bears.

Ooh, could be a safety in this game

Ooh, could be a safety in this game
    So close!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭P_Cash

FYI I would always try and watch NFL on a US channel. The constant cutting back to the studio with sky ruins the flow/noise/atmosphere, not to mention field decisions. The sky studio kills it.

Perhaps most people don't know sky take the stream. From the same US channels as I watch but they cut back to the studio.
    I used to be under the impression the US channel keeps going to adds, but it's no where near what I thought.

• Advertisement

coco0981 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why on the NBC player intros some of the players say their high school team instead of college team? Is it just a personal thing that they can say either?

Only a small thing but has always puzzled me

The first time I heard it, it was explained as being due to a falling out with the College program or leaving on acrimonious terms.

I know some might want to just give a shout out to their high school, and famously, Randy Moss declared his school as Rand University ( a local 7/11 store), and Terrell Suggs' "Ball-so-hard university" was another classic.

P_Cash wrote: »
    FYI I would always try and watch NFL on a US channel. The constant cutting back to the studio with sky ruins the flow/noise/atmosphere, not to mention field decisions. The sky studio kills it.

Perhaps most people don't know sky take the stream. From the same US channels as I watch but they cut back to the studio.
    I used to be under the impression the US channel keeps going to adds, but it's no where near what I thought.

Don't they just cut to the studio rather than taking ad breaks meaning all you're missing is US adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Jared Allen declared he was from the Culinary Academy

Real answer : Idaho

Sometimes I prefer the Sky studio. They are discussing stuff while the US channel has yet another ad break.

Eddie Jackson hasn't come in yet. Obviously not healthy. :(

• Advertisement

Not a first down for me at first glance. Generous spot

Knex. wrote: »
    Don't they just cut to the studio rather than taking ad breaks meaning all you're missing is US adverts?

Sky are cutting to the studio way more often than for instance NBC going to adds. This game on now is on NBC , they have no studio so there at the game all the time.

The earlier game was on CBS hardly any ads, and stayed constantly at the fields. Again CBS had no studio either.

I think he got it with forward progress but it was nowhere close to where they spotted it. They gave him at least a yard. :pac:

What a tackle. Looked to have him stopped dead to rights before the marker.

Sometimes I prefer the Sky studio. They are discussing stuff while the US channel has yet another ad break.

Yeah the US networks take as many ad breaks as ever, Sky give their own analysis, have never known them to purposely cut coverage from the feed they are taking to do it.

What a tackle. Looked to have him stopped dead to rights before the marker.

Thought the same. Looked like they gave him close to 2 yards. Would have been worth a challenge to force the punt and for field position.

Sky are cutting to the studio way more often than for instance NBC going to adds. This game on now is on NBC , they have no studio so there at the game all the time.

The earlier game was on CBS hardly any ads, and stayed constantly at the fields. Again CBS had no studio either.

NBC has way more ads than CBS. I prefer their commentary though.

They just cut to ads, while Sky keeps discussing the game.
    Maybe it's different for the playoffs, but regular season it's constant cut to ads.

We need a strong gust of wind to knock over Alshon and injure him again.

Some play from Smith

• Advertisement
Advertisement