Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage increase not announced yet

Options
  • 31-12-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I work for a large company (1500+ employees, with majority of them being on minimum wage).

As the minimum wage is increasing in 2019, we are all expecting pay increase. We asked about it through the available channels and were told that we will be informed of any changes before the year is over.

Well, it’s the last day of the year today, I don’t even think that senior management is in today, and we’ve heard nothing back on this matter.

Are they required to let us know before the change kicks in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I work for a large company (1500+ employees, with majority of them being on minimum wage).

As the minimum wage is increasing in 2019, we are all expecting pay increase. We asked about it through the available channels and were told that we will be informed of any changes before the year is over.

Well, it’s the last day of the year today, I don’t even think that senior management is in today, and we’ve heard nothing back on this matter.

Why worry if you know it's coming in.

My worry would be to keep an eye on it that it does go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You'll get it next year. It's the law. I wouldn't be kicking up a fuss and getting yourself on the radar for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s supposed to be coming on Jan 1st, so can’t see why you wouldn’t get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Thing is we know it’s coming in for the employees who are on minimum wage, but we have no idea if the rest of us who are getting more than minimum wage will be getting an increase.

That’s what I have a problem with – we are being left in the dark on this issue and they are taking the pi** not telling us. Surely they must know at this stage what the story is with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Are ye weekly or monthly paid?

If weekly then keep an eye on this weeks, since part of the week (today) is at the old rate and the rest at the new rate.

If monthly, well they do have a little while before you paid again.

That’s what I have a problem with – we are being left in the dark on this issue and they are taking the pi** not telling us. Surely they must know at this stage what the story is with that.

Maybe they have not decided yet...

• Advertisement

Thing is we know it’s coming in for the employees who are on minimum wage, but we have no idea if the rest of us who are getting more than minimum wage will be getting an increase.

Why would you be getting an increase if your not on minimum wage it's nothing to do with you.

Why would you be getting an increase if your not on minimum wage it's nothing to do with you.

Let's say that I'm getting 25 cents/hour more than what the minimum wage is. The minimum wage goes up by 25 cents.

That means that I would be moving from a wage that's above the minimum to minimum, pretty much downgrading. It doesn't seem fair. I worked hard to get that increase and I had to fight for it. I should still be 25 cents above minimum wage in my opinion.

The management acknowledged this previously and promised that they’d let us know before the end of the year. They didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Totally between yourselves and your employer I would think. The fit below you getting a raise, doesn't entitle you to a raise.

Seems to be an expectation of fairness, rather than any legal or contractual entitlement. I definitely wouldn't assime the increase is coming, unless you have explicitly been told so (ideally in writing)

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Totally between yourselves and your employer I would think. The fit below you getting a raise, doesn't entitle you to a raise.

Seems to be an expectation of fairness, rather than any legal or contractual entitlement. I definitely wouldn't assime the increase is coming, unless you have explicitly been told so (ideally in writing)

Oh yeah, I'm in no way saying that I'm entitled to it. All that I'm asking is if they are legally obliged to let us know of the change before the change kicks in. Maybe I didn't word it correctly. Reading it after myself I do sound like I'm whining. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you get an annual wage review or anything like that?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you get an annual wage review or anything like that?

We do, but it’s not until February/March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Oh yeah, I'm in no way saying that I'm entitled to it. All that I'm asking is if they are legally obliged to let us know of the change before the change kicks in. Maybe I didn't word it correctly. Reading it after myself I do sound like I'm whining. :D

Not saying you're whining; but again overall looks like you're really asking for fairness and respect in terms of communication rather than any sort of contractual requirement.
    In my experience in a large multi-national, this can never be expected, and rarely materializes. As a specific example related to your question, I once received a raise without being told about it, so it can happen.

HR are far more concerned about required notice periods etc when removing or decreasing benefits rather than providing improvements.
    I am sure there are guidelines that say you should receive x amount of notice for any change; but they would only be guidelines. and in the end of the day (if your HR is anything like my previous) the official response will effectively be " would you like us to delay implementation so that we can give you the correct notice".

Ask again, and if the answer received is that there is a raise on the way, ask if it is in writing anywhere. Don't count it as in the bank until it is, or you receive notice of the rise in writing.

Good luck! It's crap having to fight to be paid a decent wage for decent work.

I am in no way a HR person or expert, above only my opinion based on personal experience

Let's say that I'm getting 25 cents/hour more than what the minimum wage is. The minimum wage goes up by 25 cents.

That means that I would be moving from a wage that's above the minimum to minimum, pretty much downgrading. It doesn't seem fair. I worked hard to get that increase and I had to fight for it. I should still be 25 cents above minimum wage in my opinion.

The management acknowledged this previously and promised that they’d let us know before the end of the year. They didn’t.

If they were to raise eveyone by 25c it would up the payroll by over 1 million a year. I'd say the finance department are still laughing at the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are you in a union? If not, you might want to consider joining one, as strength in numbers is helpful in situations like this.

Are you in a union? If not, you might want to consider joining one, as strength in numbers is helpful in situations like this.

The company made it very clear that you can join any union you want, but they won’t recognize them, so don’t bother :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Your employer is not obliged by law to give you a raise. Get that clear in your head.
    What you consider “unfair” has no bearing on the law.
    As long as you are being paid the minimum wage for your circumstances then your employer is fulfilling his legal obligations.
    If you want a raise then you can either ask for one and put your case yourself, or join a union, elect a shop steward and make your case that way.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Your employer is not obliged by law to give you a raise. Get that clear in your head.
    What you consider “unfair” has no bearing on the law.
    As long as you are being paid the minimum wage for your circumstances then your employer is fulfilling his legal obligations.
    If you want a raise then you can either ask for one and put your case yourself, or join a union, elect a shop steward and make your case that way.

Thank you for being concerned about things not being right in my head.

If you read my other post, you would see that I in no way think that I’m entitled to a raise, however the management acknowledged our concerns regarding this and promised they will let us know before the year is over.

I only asked if they are legally obliged to let the staff know of any changes before they kick in.

But thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thank you for being concerned about things not being right in my head.

If you read my other post, you would see that I in no way think that I’m entitled to a raise, however the management acknowledged our concerns regarding this and promised they will let us know before the year is over.

I only asked if they are legally obliged to let the staff know of any changes before they kick in.

But thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Any change in your Terms and Conditions of Employment requires 2 weeks written notice. But this would normally apply to a change which was being made mostly in favor of the employer.
    Very few employees would get an hourly raise and complain because they didn’t get the correct notice.
    You’re in a bit of a snit tonight but we all are so ill say nothing. Good luck with your pay increase and Happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The company made it very clear that you can join any union you want, but they won’t recognize them, so don’t bother :D
    Go have a chat with the Ryanair pilots before you decide what's worth bothering about.

It is very difficult to get movement on these things as an individual employee. There is strength in numbers.

Advertisement