Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe Photo Editing Rig

Options
  • 31-12-2018 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi ,
    looking for a part list for a high end photo editing PC. Will be using only Adobe photo editing software so tending towards an Intel rig. Budget is high end with an emphasis on a high degree of future proofing. :):):)
    Have gone down the Apple route before but now frustrated with their hardware limitations so looking to see what the Intel side of the house can bring to the table.

1. Whats your budget [3500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Solely for Photo editing. Dealing with '000mb RAW files.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Win 10 Pro 64bit ]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes, 1 x27"Monitor

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future - Monitor required - what's the latest and greatest?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [can buy now but willing to wait 2-3 weeks to see if new products or sales are helpful - But not interested in any longer time period.

10. If you need help building it [Have built a number of PCs before]

As mentioned I have plenty of experience building PCs so hopefully that wot be an issue. From what I read is the Intel Optane memory a help or a hindrance when it comes to photo editing? The golden rule always seemed be the more RAM the better for image manipulation.

Regs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Regarding Intel Optane:
    I'm gonna head off the obvious questions:
    1. If you have to ask who this drive is for, then it is NOT FOR YOU. This is an enterprise product, designed for enterprise workloads. Namely latency sensitive databases that have high concurrent workloads.
    2. Asking "How fast would this would copy 100GB" is a pointless metric and a waste of the drive's potential. For the record, my sample reads at 2GB/s (yes bytes) and writes at 1GB/s with 1MB blocks. Probably single core limited since I used dd. Stick with NVMe SSDs if sequential speeds are your only concern.
    3. A neat trick it's (3D-XPoint) also capable of is also being just quick (low latency) enough to act as memory. Memory that persists through power cycles. This is a huge boon for databases, as they no longer have to rebuild in-memory data structures/caches upon reboot. However, this trick needs to be coded by the application itself.

It's a freaking awesome drive. Not for use in your water-cooled, RGB gaming rig. Nor your home NAS. Nor "content creator's" system. Enterprise databases only.
    Also check this thread for a similar build: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057937907

Finally, CES 2019 runs from 8-12. January & will hopefully showcase new CPUs from AMD and/or Intel.

As for monitors, we have 10-bit monitors now.
    I'd just research by specs; you can find models with 100% sRGB / 99% Adobe RGB from €450 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Maybe consider socket 2066 for 128GB ram if you need it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe consider socket 2066 for 128GB ram if you need it

Anyone considering socket 2066 should get their head examined & then buy AMD Threadripper instead.

Advertisement