Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable from cooker switch to cooker

Options
  • 31-12-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

The cooker in my parents house has caused the MCB to trip.
    On investigation I found that the cable feeding the cooker from the cooker switch was burned at the cooker end and the terminal block on the back of the cooker was melted.
    I was able to locate a terminal block online and have ordered one but I am also suspicious of the cable. It looks like standard 3 core flex to me. Should it be bigger?
    This cable has been in place for donkeys years with obviously no issues but the current cooker is approx 12 months old.
    Could it just be a case of a loose connection on the terminal block or should I run a new cable and if so, what size?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What size is the current cable? What's the draw on the cooker?

I would say it's more likely the connection became loose than the size of the cable being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What size is the current cable? What's the draw on the cooker?

Existing cable looks like standard 3 core flex to me. Not sure but 2.5sq maybe. Same size you'd have on an extension lead for example.

No idea what the draw on the cooker is. It's a single oven / grill and hob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

I always thought that the cable from Cooker switch to Cooker has to be minimum of 6mm2 T&E cable ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

What's the rating on the oven?
    It's usually printed inside the door somewhere or you'll be able to find it based on the model number by googling for the instructions or specs.

They often do have a flexible cable, prewired by the manufacturer.

An oven wouldn't necessarily be that huge a draw, maybe 3.5kW. All in one cookers, which combined the draw of four rings and two ovens, were far heavier loads.

Check the rating plate as there's huge variation between cookers of different designs.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    What's the rating on the oven?

Plate on the back of the cooker says 9565W

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Needs to be wore rather than flex.

Ours is 6sq Twon and earth wire.

I found the manual and it does specify 6mm sq. flexible twin and earth cable.

This might sound stupid but how do I verify what size the existing cable is? Should it be printed on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I think 4mm^2 Heat Resistant flex from the Isolator switch to the cooker was allowed (It was in the 3rd edition etci)

Cooker kw will obviously depend on alot.

It might be marked on the flex, If you have a cailipers or measuring tape work out the area of a circle (the copper only) of one wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

JMR wrote: »
    The cooker in my parents house has caused the MCB to trip.
    On investigation I found that the cable feeding the cooker from the cooker switch was burned at the cooker end and the terminal block on the back of the cooker was melted.
    I was able to locate a terminal block online and have ordered one but I am also suspicious of the cable. It looks like standard 3 core flex to me. Should it be bigger?
    This cable has been in place for donkeys years with obviously no issues but the current cooker is approx 12 months old.
    Could it just be a case of a loose connection on the terminal block or should I run a new cable and if so, what size?

Thanks

Thank yourself lucky that the MCB tripped. Next step without being too blunt is to leave it alone and ring an electrician.
    The cooker obviously wasn't connected up by a competent electrician and really needs to be before your parents cooker or house goes on fire.
    The cable running from the fuseboard should also be checked. This cooker draws a high current and the cabling needs to be appropriately sizes otherwise your parents may not be so lucky next time.

Advertisement