Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

superg wrote: »
    My ram is ddr4 so won't work. Buying a single 8gb is the plan alright but it might still be waste of money if the problem is elsewhere

You can run DDR4 on single channel. You can even get a single stick of 16GB's of RAM but as I said test it in single channel with one of your current sticks for about 1 or 2 weeks to test stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Have a look to see if any of the pins on the mobo are bent.Even a bit of dust in the socket might cause weird issues.

I have some 4gb sticks of ddr3 you can borrow to test if you want.

I'll check that and thanks for the offer. I'll try my ddr4 first and see how it goes.
    You can run DDR4 on single channel. You can even get a single stick of 16GB's of RAM but as I said test it in single channel with one of your current sticks for about 1 or 2 weeks to test stability.

I thought the notch on them is different, if it fits in I'll give it a go, thanks.

I thought the notch on them is different, if it fits in I'll give it a go, thanks.

What do you mean the notch is different. I am talking about single channel as in running the PC with just one stick as you said in previous post that there is no issues while running just one stick of RAM.

What do you mean the notch is different. I am talking about single channel as in running the PC with just one stick as you said in previous post that there is no issues while running just one stick of RAM.

The notch on a DDR4 stick as opposed to a DDR3 stick. I read that somewhere. His PC has DDR3, mine is DDR4

The notch on a DDR4 stick as opposed to a DDR3 stick. I read that somewhere. His PC has DDR3, mine is DDR4

Oh right I thought it was your PC. Yes the notch is different on DDR3 and DDR4.

Tell him to run it single channel and it will save all the hassle of buying new more expensive components.

• Advertisement

Yeah he's only got 4GB that way which is a bit of a problem these days, its pretty much in 90-100% usage all the time. Going to see if I can get the RAM of game4it70 and try that to see, if that works I can go ahead and buy a new set for him or 1 stick of 8GB, if not then I'll assess the options!

Did the memory test on the second stick and it came back fine too. Bloody weird. Will try some different ram and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Did the memory test on the second stick and it came back fine too. Bloody weird. Will try some different ram and see what happens.

How long are you testing for? I had gskill sticks that only displayed a problem after 12 hours testing.

How long are you testing for? I had gskill sticks that only displayed a problem after 12 hours testing.

I just did the standard windows memory diagnostic so it only ran for ten minutes. Will be borrowing some ram at the weekend and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So after everyone talking about cases I've been looking all afternoon :pac:

I'm now considering a H500i (£99) in white or a Meshify C. Currently have a Cougar Panzar but just getting the itch to upgrade.

Will be getting sleeved cables in the next little while and maybe a AIO cooler like the NZXT X62 or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I just did the standard windows memory diagnostic so it only ran for ten minutes. Will be borrowing some ram at the weekend and see if that works.

Maybe try downloading and running memtest86 overnight https://www.memtest86.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe try a mobo bios update as that can sometimes sort out newer memory issues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

jebidiah wrote: »
    What would be a decent price to sell an MSI GTX 970?

I'd expect to get about €150 for that card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What's the best way to get rid of an old PSU? Adverts is not an option as I'm replacing it as it feels like it's on the way out and don't want the hassle of dealing with a buyer if it goes bang on them.

Skerries wrote: »
    I'd expect to get about €150 for that card

You would be lucky to get 120. Don't forget 3.5GB's of RAM and it's old.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Venom wrote: »
    What's the best way to get rid of an old PSU? Adverts is not an option as I'm replacing it as it feels like it's on the way out and don't want the hassle of dealing with a buyer if it goes bang on them.

Bring it to recycling depot for electrical items, like these guys: https://recycleit.ie/Computer-Recycling.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

You would be lucky to get 120. Don't forget 3.5GB's of RAM and it's old.

I'd say 150 would be a bit of a reach. But I'll list it for for that on adverts!

Honestly, the 3.5 GB of ram has not been an issue for me at all since I've had it. For 1080p gaming at 60fps it is still perfectly fine, and I'd bet it will continue to be. Sure most of my mates are running on 770's and playing over watch and apex legends with perfectly acceptable frames.

That said I bit the bullet on a Vega 56, more to push higher frames for my monitor.

Can anyone comment on the PSU requirements being 650W?? I've heard they can be under volted and am seeing conflicting reports about the required size of PSU in reality. I've got a sea sonic 520w 80+ bronze PSU currently.

jebidiah wrote: »
    I'd say 150 would be a bit of a reach. But I'll list it for for that on adverts!

Honestly, the 3.5 GB of ram has not been an issue for me at all since I've had it. For 1080p gaming at 60fps it is still perfectly fine, and I'd bet it will continue to be. Sure most of my mates are running on 770's and playing over watch and apex legends with perfectly acceptable frames.

That said I bit the bullet on a Vega 56, more to push higher frames for my monitor.

Can anyone comment on the PSU requirements being 650W?? I've heard they can be under volted and am seeing conflicting reports about the required size of PSU in reality. I've got a sea sonic 520w 80+ bronze PSU currently.

I'm running 56 on a 700W PSU. If you didn't already get that 650W one then I would recommend getting a 750W. The 650W one would be fine but you may as well get a 750W one.

Skerries wrote: »
    maybe try a mobo bios update as that can sometimes sort out newer memory issues

There isn't one. Last one they released was 2016. Will try the other RAM at the weekend and see but he has a good few bob saved so might end up upgrading it anyway. Its getting on 5 years old this year and he would only need a Mobo, CPU and RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

How are the Ryzen cpu's for 4k gaming (obviously when paired with a 4k capable GPU)?

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    How are the Ryzen cpu's for 4k gaming (obviously when paired with a 4k capable GPU)?

Very good. Intel on has the lead at 1080p.

Ryzen 2600X is equal to an i7-8700K (which is double the price) as at 4K, the bottleneck is in the GPU.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2600X/15.html
    https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ryzen-7-2700X-and-Ryzen-5-2600X-Review-Zen-Matures/1440p-and-4K-Gaming

My Ducky One2 Mini shipped today. Really looking forward to giving it a bash.

Very good. Intel on has the lead at 1080p.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Sweet, appreciated folks. Planning a build for later in the year that'll be Ryzen based, has to be 4k capable though as there's a 4k Acer screen already there for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Bit of a problem with the new GPU.

Edit - reseated, all is fine....

Installed drivers ok on it, turned of off to manage cables and this was what I saw on reboot

yZ94jyNh.jpg

Must have done something. Check to see if card is sitting correctly.

Double-check the display cable wasn't knocked loose on either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Sweet, appreciated folks. Planning a build for later in the year that'll be Ryzen based, has to be 4k capable though as there's a 4k Acer screen already there for it.

The upcoming 3rd gen Ryzen 2 chips are expected to hit 5ghz so no difference between them and a current Intel setup.

Venom wrote: »
    The upcoming 3rd gen Ryzen 2 chips are expected to hit 5ghz so no difference between them and a current Intel setup.

TBH it doesn't even really matter. Just get a 2600 now & spend extra on the GPU.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    TBH it doesn't even really matter. Just get a 2600 now & spend extra on the GPU.

Is it worth looking at the 7's over the 5's at all, for a purely gaming setup?

Advertisement