Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Looks like it's been used in the back end of a factory warehouse, badly thrown together just to do the job, it's alos filthy. But then people are making offers ... As for "high end" ... lol ... the psu looks to be decent but other than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Right, I can hear the scoffing already!

I have to say I ve been playing games on latest Gen consoles for so long that I hadnt went to PC for gaming, a proper PC, until recently, in the last week on my new build as i had to justify it :D:D:D

WOW! What a bloody difference!

I started playing Destiny 2 and after sinking thousands of hours into it on consoles, its like a completely new experience on PC! Smoother, faster, more enjoyable. An incredible experience. Something like 144 fps! :eek::eek:

Tried Div2 as well and same thing. Far better experience.

Ok, I absolutely suck at M&K on Destiny right now but Im sure I will get into it. Im only doing PVE as I would have no dignity left after trying PvP! :D

Im absolutely gob smacked at the frame rates, load times, the monitor input lag times, etc.

Im sure that most of you play PC as primary and find M&K completely natural but its like playing finger twister with my left hand as I get used to the key binds. :D But Im going to resist using a controller.

I have to say, its a way better experience so far and I always had latest consoles on release and a decent TV setup but this is on another league.

Seriously, Im super impressed and can see what ye were all harping on about on threads :D PC definitely is a superior experience so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah man defo don't use a controller unless the game suits it,like a racing game or such.

In the long run will be way better off. Ive been on the PC long enough that now its the controller I feel janky with.

As for the feel of gaming on a good PC,its night and day.
    Maybe the next consoles will be better but playing at sub 30fps on the PS4 Pro feels like garbage in this day and age.

amadablam wrote: »
    Right, I can hear the scoffing already!

I have to say I ve been playing games on latest Gen consoles for so long that I hadnt went to PC for gaming, a proper PC, until recently, in the last week.

WOW! What a bloody difference!

I started playing Destiny 2 and after sinking thousands of hours into it on consoles, its like a completely new experience on PC! Smoother, faster, more enjoyable. An incredible experience. :eek::eek:

Tried Div2 as well and same thing. Far better experience.

Ok, I absolutely suck at M&K on Destiny right now but Im sure I will get into it. Im only doing PVE as I would have no dignity left after trying PvP! :D

Im absolutely gob smacked at the frame rates, load times, the monitor input lag times, etc.

Im sure that most of you play PC as primary and find M&K completely natural but its like playing finger twister, with my left hand as I get used to the key binds. :D But Im going to resist using a controller.

I have to say, its a way better experience so far and I always had latest consoles on release and a decent TV setup but this is on another league.

Seriously, Im super impressed and can see what ye were all harping on about on threads :D PC definitely is a superior experience so far.

You're not alone, I was a console only gamers for years, only got a decent enough PC to consider gaming on this year and it's been a pleasurable experience. I used to think there was a lot of faffing about, tweaking settings for every game etc to get things any way smooth but I've had zero issues. It's only a mediocre gpu I opted for [gtx 1660] but it's handled everything I've thrown at it with ease on ultra settings with decent frame rates. I've played games like The Witcher 3, Metro Exodus, Plague tale of innocence, The Outer Worlds, Forza Horizon 4 etc ... all run perfectly smooth and look fantastic - better than any game I've tried on ps4/xbone - everything just seems to pop that bit more. I'd expect the latest round of consoles to match but higher end PC will always trump them I feel

As for M&K - I'm hopeless, could never get used to it outside of slower games. I'm much more comfortable using a controller. You can get some nice ones, like third party xbox one controllers, pretty cheap these days. I have 2 controllers for mine, one is a Trust wireless, decent enough but the A button is getting sticky :/ the other is an xbo one clone from PowerA, much nicer to use only it's wired.

It does depend on the type of games you play though as Eoin mentions above, for FPS/fast action type game m&k will always rule once you get used to them. Me, I play more adventure type game, racers, platformers and beat em ups - you can't beat a controller for those. Best to have both

Yup. Blasting out those sweet FPS's is a joy to behold. On the Mouse/KB thing, the muscle memory clicks in in a while and it will be like second nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

amadablam wrote: »

Welcome to PCMR :D

Haven't played anything on my Xbox One X in well over a year....I think :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah man defo don't use a controller unless the game suits it,like a racing game or such.

In the long run will be way better off. Ive been on the PC long enough that now its the controller I feel janky with.

As for the feel of gaming on a good PC,its night and day.
    Maybe the next consoles will be better but playing at sub 30fps on the PS4 Pro feels like garbage in this day and age.

Yeah dude, it was such a real eye opener to see something like 144 fps in destiny2 and Ive been a day one player and never thought it could be so different.

Even thought I have the pro and the OneX and more than likely will buy the series X, I really dont think the PC experience will be equalled.

Went to to OneX a few hours after playing D2 for a few hours and it felt like the game was in slow mo! :D:D:D

Ill persevere with the mouse and Keyboard though. Just messing around with keybinds to try and get a similar feel for a few games.
    You're not alone, I was a console only gamers for years, only got a decent enough PC to consider gaming on this year and it's been a pleasurable experience. I used to think there was a lot of faffing about, tweaking settings for every game etc to get things any way smooth but I've had zero issues. It's only a mediocre gpu I opted for [gtx 1660] but it's handled everything I've thrown at it with ease on ultra settings with decent frame rates. I've played games like The Witcher 3, Metro Exodus, Plague tale of innocence, The Outer Worlds, Forza Horizon 4 etc ... all run perfectly smooth and look fantastic - better than any game I've tried on ps4/xbone - everything just seems to pop that bit more. I'd expect the latest round of consoles to match but higher end PC will always trump them I feel

As for M&K - I'm hopeless, could never get used to it outside of slower games. I'm much more comfortable using a controller. You can get some nice ones, like third party xbox one controllers, pretty cheap these days. I have 2 controllers for mine, one is a Trust wireless, decent enough but the A button is getting sticky :/ the other is an xbo one clone from PowerA, much nicer to use only it's wired.

It does depend on the type of games you play though as Eoin mentions above, for FPS/fast action type game m&k will always rule once you get used to them. Me, I play more adventure type game, racers, platformers and beat em ups - you can't beat a controller for those. Best to have both

I think Im going to play with M and K as much as possible on FPS stuff for a while and then try one fo the spare Xbox controllers with an adapter and see how it works for FH4 or something. I havent played a driving game on it yet and reckong it going to be seriously impressive! :eek:

Games definitely look so much better too. I was wondering what 1440P 144mhz was going to look like on the PC but with a decent monitor and GPU, its a seriously brilliant experience. I thought I'd miss the big 4k HDR screen but I dont miss the lag at all but up until now, I never really noticed it! Ignorance was bliss! :o:o:o

But there is no going back now

Yup. Blasting out those sweet FPS's is a joy to behold. On the Mouse/KB thing, the muscle memory clicks in in a while and it will be like second nature.

I keep turning on the FPS over lay just to smirk in superiority to my Xbox :D I took your advice and resisted using the one of the xbox controllers on the PC, Ill persevere with the Key Board, the mouse part is seriously fun for shooters :eek:
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Welcome to PCMR :D

Haven't played anything on my Xbox One X in well over a year....I think :eek:

Hey dude, I had to Google PCMR :o:o Hadnt realised you moved to the dark side too!

But I now cant see myself putting in a preorder for next gens just yet (Im sure I will convince myself I need one). More than likely will buy a second GL850 instead in the coming weeks.

PC's are dangerously addictive with the seriously tempting and never ending upgrade paths :P:P

If I could get along with M&Kb better I'd go all in on that front, but it's the extra layout always stumps me. I will never remember per game what my pinky needs to be hitting for additional moves - I know you can re-assign keys but it just gets too confusing for me. I wish I could get along with that kind of control system bette because I know once you get used to it nothing beats it. I may always be a controller pleb :D Kudos to you for sticking with though, good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I went from console to using keyboard and mouse even for games that many PC players would reccomend a gamepad for like Witcher, Dark Souls, Killer Is Dead and Dead Rising. It can be done. The only hurdle I find is Tekken and Devil May Cry but I know it can be done with those, too. There's even advantages keyboard has over pad for Tekken if you know how to utilise it.

For games like Warframe I couldn't even imagine how people play it effeciently with a pad. There's so many gear items and other small things that I need to bind. I use the entire NUMPAD alone for hotkey gear items like mining, flying, fishing, scanning and emergency energy/health drops. Not to mention activating powers on one press is much better than scrolling through the powers.
    but it's the extra layout always stumps me.
    Similar games have very similar layouts these days. And your pinky is usually for SHIFT sprinting or CTRL which is crouching in a lot of games. I tend to rebind that to C and have toggle crouch. Feels better for going from crouch to sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Mice with extra buttons all the way,even two side buttons is enough. Crouch is always bound to my mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone else Windows 10 **** the bed since the recent mega update?

Wiping mine tomorrow as steam and discord constantly crash and chrome takes an age to open.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone else Windows 10 **** the bed since the recent mega update?

Wiping mine tomorrow as steam and discord constantly crash and chrome takes an age to open.

Didn't update, switched updates off until I know it's all clear. fresh install of W10 on my new PC a few months back and it was the first thing I did after install, off with updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Didn't update, switched updates off until I know it's all clear. fresh install of W10 on my new PC a few months back and it was the first thing I did after install, off with updates.

Yeah should have done the same, windows on an NVME and a 9900k. Entire PC seems laggy since the update.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Yeah should have done the same, windows on an NVME and a 9900k. Entire PC seems laggy since the update.

Nvme here too, Ryzen 2600x, Win 10 1909 - the latest edition at time of install, which was about 4-5months back. Haven't felt any need to update since, from what I hear and read that was wise. I'll update when I hear all is stable and good with the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Updated when it came out, no issues, 7700k windows on ssd .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

No issue here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Issues getting it installed, it needs silly amounts of free space, and also it took a while after release before it said it was compatiable with mny machine but no issues post install.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Ever since I've updated, I've had Windows not remembering certain credentials.
    Sites that I've always been logged into (Boards, for one) will occasionally get logged out. Not all the time though.
    And it's not just Chrome; Credentials for login to VMs over RDP will be forgotten as well.

It's probably something else, but it started happening after the 2004 update. Haven't been arsed looking into it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Same, chrome taking ages to load sometimes. Discord crashing a good bit as well. Discord is electron isnt it? So would be maybe related

Also massive delay on thumbnails loading in some folders. Instantly appear in explorer but browsing for a file to upload to a website or insert in photoshop and its a good 30 second wait for the same folder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm constantly being asked to re-accept cookies on sites I visit frequently, even if the visits are only minutes/couple of hours apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I'm constantly being asked to re-accept cookies on sites I visit frequently, even if the visits are only minutes/couple of hours apart.
    Browser?
    Do you have set to delete cookies once you close browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Browser?
    Do you have set to delete cookies once you close browser?

Chrome, and no.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Chrome, and no.
    Hmmmm
    Have same, however, on FF and have set to delete history/cookies each time close.
    Annoying, every time go for search or open Tube.
    By the looks of it G want you sign in and sync your settings/preferences.

Fu**tards, and i hate that, but i guess have to live with it if you want to use their services.

526906.JPG

Interesting, but where Edge, IE?
    And what search engine they use, any good?
    If its G - its same pot you boiling in

where Edge, IE
    It hasn't been updated for those. Edge is just MC paint on Chrome, though.
    Search engines are customisable so I didn't really know it was important to people which ones they come with. I always use my own sets including searx instances and will cycle through them if one fails to get results I need. Engines like bing and google are often my last choice or used for testing only. I don't think I've personally used a google search directly in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Interesting, but where Edge, IE?
    If its G - its same pot you boiling in

What did I do?:confused:;)

biggrin.png
    G ~ .G. ~ oG. ~ oGo° ~ °oGo°
    🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Speaking of Windows updates screwing things up, I wonder if that's why I'm getting DNS errors on my PC, or if it's because my network card is dying.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Windows updates screwing things up, I wonder if that's why I'm getting DNS errors on my PC, or if it's because my network card is dying.
    What error that is, exact wording?
    Did you try ipconfig /flushdns from CMD

Advertisement