Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

People overthink these things anyway. 95% of PC's in the world have one 80mm exhaust fan.

Ideally have equal intake/outtake of the same model fan. Obviously having two amazing quality 120mm outtakes and 2 crap generic 120mm intake isn't equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Not case specific but good information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Homelander wrote: »
    People overthink these things anyway. 95% of PC's in the world have one 80mm exhaust fan.

Ideally have equal intake/outtake of the same model fan. Obviously having two amazing quality 120mm outtakes and 2 crap generic 120mm intake isn't equal.
    Agree that airflow needed to keep system cool-enough might be provided by less fans than some custom systems have installed.

But, as was pointed above, positive pressure works toward preventing air (dust) entering box through unfiltered openings. Only effective, to a certain degree, and if filters are present...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Question on fan placement on a NZXT H510.

At the moment I have two 140mm fans as intakes on the front, one 120mm intake fan on top and one 120mm outtake fan on the back.

Is that fan setup optimal for my case? I've read something about positive air pressure being best for my case but I don't know what that means.

I'd switch the top 1 to exhaust as well in a rear top position. The gpu is throwing some air out the back as well.

The top mounts tend to be unfiltered so you don't really want them as intakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I got this after having some issues with cooling the 9900k

I still laugh at the utterly stupid size of this thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077FZPCRH/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Since I put it in, every part of PC is down in temps, do not buy unless you have a stupid amount of space in your pc, do buy if you want your entire room cooled :D

Its actually very quiet in fairness but look at the ****ing size of it!!!!! The 9900k is at 5ghz and maybe goes to 35c after long play sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have a h100i running since 2012. Probably full of goo now but it still keeps the cpu cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Very off topic question, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm doing an IoT course in college this year and they want us to work in Linux. They sent out an OS on a USB stick for us to boot into, but I think I would rather run it in a virtual machine on a second monitor or something? Is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

jebidiah wrote: »
    Very off topic question, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm doing an IoT course in college this year and they want us to work in Linux. They sent out an OS on a USB stick for us to boot into, but I think I would rather run it in a virtual machine on a second monitor or something? Is this possible?

It's possible.
    One easy way is to install VirtualBox.

After you install it, follow these steps to create a new VM, and allow the machine to boot from your USB stick. Just tick the "Live CD" checkbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Tom's Hardware should just be put down at this point,dont trust CDPR they say,follow it up with affiliate link recomendations lol,just lol

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/cyberpunk-2077-system-requirements-official-plus-our-recommendations

They're most definitely not wrong though, those requirements just don't make sense.

3200G - a low-end, 4c,4t APU - the recommended CPU on AMD's side?

I mean the Intel recommended is an i7-4790, which is miles better than the 3200G for gaming. Even if it said a Ryzen 1400 it would make some sort of sense, but 3200G is just bizarre.

I agree 100% with the article really, nothing in it is incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Homelander wrote: »
    They're most definitely not wrong though, those requirements just don't make sense.

3200G - a low-end, 4c,4t APU - the recommended CPU on AMD's side?

I mean the Intel recommended is an i7-4790, which is miles better than the 3200G for gaming. Even if it said a Ryzen 1400 it would make some sort of sense, but 3200G is just bizarre.

I agree 100% with the article really, nothing in it is incorrect.

The implication is that CDPR are lying and that Tom's Hardware is trustworthy. I dont agree.

All the hardware specs tell us that you will be able to play CP2077 on a 4c/4t system. Can scale resolution based on what gpu you have.

Maybe the game is not massively multi threaded and likes clock speed more which the 3200G would have over the 1600.

So in fact,i think there deliberately being mis leading rather than the specs being mis leading.

They also say the settings are too low for a "proper experience",there answer to that....buy a 10700K and a 3080 lol

Which they have linked using affiliate links...

It's not that they are lying as a calculated act, just that the spec doesn't make much sense.

It's not just Cyberpunk. Games regularly have utterly daft requirements that seem to have been pulled out of a hat.

I mean, Apex Legends says a GT640 is the minimum requirement for example. Where did they pull that from?

Unless you count 1280x720, lowest settings, zero textures, at 20fps as playable, it's nowhere near capable of even running the game.

There are absolutely tons of examples where game minimum/recommended spec don't make a lick of sense like that.

Obviously a 3200G and GTX1060 6GB will run the game, but it's a bizarre combo for "recommended".

On the balance of probabilities, a 3200G and GTX1060 6GB is not going to run the game anywhere near the ideal experience.

I mean, even if the game was not multi-threaded - which is 100% will be - why would the recommended be a 4c/4t AMD CPU, yet a 4c/8t Intel CPU, rather than simply recommended an i3-8100 or i5-7400 which are directly comparable to the 3200G?

Again, just doesn't make much sense, and unfortunately these days a lot of game requirements don't either.

I think the article, whatever about the affiliate links, is bang on the money. I thought the specs were bizarre when they were released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cyberpunk is being released for 8th gen consoles. The PS4 released in 2013 and was never bleeding edge. CP2077 ought to run on what they say it will. Yes requirements listings have always been bonkers but usually in the opposite way; over inflating them or relying on way stronger hardware to compensate for badly made games or ports. Was recently playing The Evil Within (2014) again and it still runs like absolute shyte no matter the hardware. In contrast MGSV (2015) released on 7th/8th gen and runs relatively well especially if you cap to 60 as I'm pretty sure they tuned it for that.

Well no-one claimed the 3200G wouldn't run it. Just strange that it is the "recommended" CPU when it's basically a super low-end processor by today's standard.

The difference with the consoles is that a) 20-30fps is the standard for open world games and b) even though the CPU in them is atrocious, everything is optimised as best as it can be for those processors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A discussion of the state of 3D gaming circa a quater of a century ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

What site is the cheapest for laptops these days? Cheapest for i7 minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/laptop Can get lucky here sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Amazon Prime day is next month on the 13th, last year they'd a fair few decent spec machines on sale

Anima wrote: »
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/laptop Can get lucky here sometimes.

Thanks but I'm looking for consistent pricing, not to get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wouldn't bother with Intel CPUs on laptops, you want Ryzen 4000-series

Even a Ryzen 5-4xxx will blow any i7 out of the water.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with Intel CPUs on laptops, you want Ryzen 4000-series

Even a Ryzen 5-4xxx will blow any i7 out of the water.

Again thanks but I'm looking for sites not recommendations on CPU, as I said i7 minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Take a look at box.co.uk . They have some good sales sometimes. Any reason why it has to be i7?

Hahaha has to be done too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why did you post the same thing 18 minutes later?

Phone disconnected from internet just after posting but not loading the page I'd say so next time I opened the page again it refreshed the page and posted it again. Thinking of it now, it did ask something about form submission. Will delete now :)

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Take a look at box.co.uk . They have some good sales sometimes. Any reason why it has to be i7?

I never said it has to be an i7. If you go back and read what I said you will see minimum i7 as in similar single core speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Phone disconnected from internet just after posting but not loading the page I'd say so next time I opened the page again it refreshed the page and posted it again. Thinking of it now, it did ask something about form submission. Will delete now :)

Oh right, maybe I should have thought more into it. :) I thought you were just losing it. :pac:

I never said it has to be an i7. If you go back and read what I said you will see minimum i7 as in similar single core speeds.

Ah right similar core speeds. Fair enough. What are u using it for out of curiosity?

Oh right, maybe I should have thought more into it. :) I thought you were just losing it. :pac:

Not quite there yet lad, only few weeks into fifth year now like. I did have to laugh though at how appropriate your name was for the situation:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Am I seeing things or is this lad trying to sell a motherboard driver disc, albeit with an old GPU.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-software/asus-mother-board-driver-for-sale/21253747

Advertisement