Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Am I seeing things or is this lad trying to sell a motherboard driver disc, albeit with an old GPU.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-software/asus-mother-board-driver-for-sale/21253747
    Asus box, Asus disc, Gigabyte card...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

That's not even a HD5450. If it was, it would be worth €15.

It's a 9500GT, worth about 20 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

adverts is not a sane place ffs it used to be a good place...

"someones trash, someones treasure"
    might be he will get lucky. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Does anyone have a wooden desk top from Ikea? I recently got a Gerton in Beech and was thinking of sealing/waxing it? Any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I want to sell my PC and peripherals. Just wondering what would be a fair price for the following:

Case: NZXT S340
    CPU: Ryzen 1700
    GPU: Evga Geforce Gtx 970 Super Clocked
    RAM: 4x4gb ddr4 corsair ram 3000mhz
    PSU: Riotoro Enigma 650w psu fully modular
    MOBO: Asrock B450M Pro4 (Socket AM4) DDR4 MATX Motherboard
    SSD: Seagate 500GB 2.5" BarraCuda Solid State Drive
    Monitor: LG gaming monitor 24' - lgw2486l
    Peripherals: Corsair pro gaming bundle - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Lighting-Keyboard-Harpoon-Headset/dp/B081DF8ZMF/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=corsair+pro+gaming+keyboard&qid=1600365794&sr=8-3

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Lads I want to sell my PC and peripherals. Just wondering what would be a fair price for the following:

Case: NZXT S340
    CPU: Ryzen 1700
    GPU: Evga Geforce Gtx 970 Super Clocked
    RAM: 4x4gb ddr4 corsair ram 3000mhz
    PSU: Riotoro Enigma 650w psu fully modular
    MOBO: Asrock B450M Pro4 (Socket AM4) DDR4 MATX Motherboard
    SSD: Seagate 500GB 2.5" BarraCuda Solid State Drive
    Monitor: LG gaming monitor 24' - lgw2486l
    Peripherals: Corsair pro gaming bundle - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Lighting-Keyboard-Harpoon-Headset/dp/B081DF8ZMF/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=corsair+pro+gaming+keyboard&qid=1600365794&sr=8-3

€400 maybe

Hyzepher wrote: »
    €400 maybe

400 is probably too low considering there is a monitor and peripherals!?

The 1700 is a still a decent processor (capable of supporting a 3080 according to Hardware Canucks). Decent RAM and Mobo as well as a good sized PSU and decent case.

I'd take a look on Adverts and try to figure out a price from what's being posted there. Someone else might be able to give a better indication of the value of your system but 400 seems too low to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd say closer to €500 would be a fair price, maybe start the asking price at around €600 so the lowballers feel like they are getting a better deal. It's adverts after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

RocketLake postponed :(

Maybe these Team Red people will deliver a proper punch with the 5000 series, wake Intel up.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Currently have a Predator 144hz 1440p monitor that I use for gaming, and a 4k one I use for everything else. Considering picking up an ultrawide 1440p monitor (5120x1440).

Does anyone have one of these? Any pros / cons to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Quick question, a friend's motherboard gave up the ghost, completely dead. I couldn't see anything obvious wrong with the board, but all works now that it's replaced. Is there anything we can do with the old board other than bring it to the recycling centre in Galway? It's a relatively new board being a B350 gigabyte gaming 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Quick question, a friend's motherboard gave up the ghost, completely dead. I couldn't see anything obvious wrong with the board, but all works now that it's replaced. Is there anything we can do with the old board other than bring it to the recycling centre in Galway? It's a relatively new board being a B350 gigabyte gaming 3.

You can probably RMA it, or even request a full refund from the retailer.

The PS5 is easier to disassemble than most laptops :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

The PS5 is easier to disassemble than most laptops :pac:

Came to post this. THE SIZE OF THAT HEATSINK!!! Compared to the PS4 it must be triple the size. With this having 16gb of system ram, and the stories of the 3090 running Crisis 3 off of its own VRAM. I wonder how long before we see PC's completely change in format...

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

OSI wrote: »
    Without being pedantic that would be in the "Super Ultrawide" category which is incredibly niche. My one concern would be how much content would scale to it in a usable and enjoyable state.
    I have a pair of regular Ultrawide monitors and the extra width really is helpful for productivity, and I've thought about replacing them with a single Super Ultrawide monitor myself. Watching video can be a pain in the arse, the likes of Netflix, Prime and a few others force a 16:9 ratio with black bars top and bottom so you end up with a very small portion of the screen showing video. There's browser plug-ins to get around it, but they're not 100%.
    For gaming, I've run into a number of games that don't offer resolutions beyond 16:9 so you end up with a decent chunk of the screen wasted with black bars, and even the many that do scale out to 21:9 and beyond rarely adapt the FOV to make effective use of it so the image looks odd. The extra FOV is obviously fantastic in the likes of racing and flight sims, and I appreciate the extra space for strategy games. Not sure I see much benefit in FPS or RPGs though. Worth bearing in mind as well that you'll be driving a similar number of pixels to a 4k image so performance will take a big impact.

In short, if it was primarily for the productivity boost, 100% go for it. If it's mainly for gaming, I'm not sure the stretch all the way out to 32:9 is worth it.

This is the sort of info I was looking for, cheers OSI!

I was looking at a Samsung one that appears to have software that allows the monitor to act like multiple monitors with PiP, but I would be concerned that this causes lag to happen. You could in theory have a 16:9 screen in the dead centre and then 2 smaller screens each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »

I was looking at a Samsung one that appears to have software that allows the monitor to act like multiple monitors with PiP, but I would be concerned that this causes lag to happen. You could in theory have a 16:9 screen in the dead centre and then 2 smaller screens each side.

My samsung ultrawide has PIP and tbh it's not great, albeit I only have a 21:9. I use GridMove instead https://www.dcmembers.com/jgpaiva/ and just snap windows to different grids that are customisable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That PS5 teardown video liquid metal as the paste. First time I seen any public available device to come with LM from the factory. See the sponge around it to stop it flowing to other nearby components.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

awec wrote: »

If it's mainly for productivity I think nothing beats 2-3 separate monitors with a good vesa mount so you can align them any way you want.

Super ultrawides are tidy looking but not very practical for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

jebidiah wrote: »
    ... I wonder how long before we see PC's completely change in format...

28th October apparently :pac:

hWCBy1p

I recently switched to a dual monitor set up and my existing Display Port cable wasn't long enough to reach my 1440p 144Hz monitor. I ordered an Amazon Basics DP cable assuming it would be pretty decent, but I've been getting pretty weird flashes of static in boxes and lines on the monitor. Thought it might have been something to do with my overclock or something but I got this message in Radeon software today.

Guess its the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I recently switched to a dual monitor set up and my existing Display Port cable wasn't long enough to reach my 1440p 144Hz monitor. I ordered an Amazon Basics DP cable assuming it would be pretty decent, but I've been getting pretty weird flashes of static in boxes and lines on the monitor. Thought it might have been something to do with my overclock or something but I got this message in Radeon software today.

Guess its the cable?

The Amazon basics Display Port cable is to version 1.2 which should support 1440p @ 144Hz, I'd send it back and ask for a replacement.

https://www.cablematters.com/blog/DisplayPort/does-displayport-support-144hz#:~:text=DisplayPort%201.2%20can%20output%201080p,up%20to%20120Hz%20at%204K.

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Amazon basics Display Port cable is to version 1.2 which should support 1440p @ 144Hz, I'd send it back and ask for a replacement.

https://www.cablematters.com/blog/DisplayPort/does-displayport-support-144hz#:~:text=DisplayPort%201.2%20can%20output%201080p,up%20to%20120Hz%20at%204K.

Yeah they have already given a refund and no return required. Is there anything on Amazon that you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yeah they have already given a refund and no return required. Is there anything on Amazon that you'd recommend?

Just get a Display Port cable made to version 1.4 specs, that should eliminate any issues as it supports much higher bandwidth, they don't cost much more either.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/phanteks-eclipse-p360a-review/

Phanteks P360A looks to be a new budget king, here's hoping it keeps at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So been playing a bit of warhammer space marine. Really enjoying it have to say. Its a simple enough game but the asthetic is pretty nice if your into warhammer.

The reason I mention it here is that its really a phenomenal port. Runs so well so for those who have 144hz monitor if it looks like a game you might enjoy id say give it a bash. On sale for €5 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

EoinHef wrote: »
    So been playing a bit of warhammer space marine. Really enjoying it have to say. Its a simple enough game but the asthetic is pretty nice if your into warhammer.

The reason I mention it here is that its really a phenomenal port. Runs so well so for those who have 144hz monitor if it looks like a game you might enjoy id say give it a bash. On sale for €5 atm.

Great game.

MORE DAKKA!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm sure it's dead at this point but the multiplayer was also really fun. It is a great game though, probably the best licensed 40k action game.

Advertisement