Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why aren't like Razer, the Yeti people, or other microphone vendors rushing to shove decent microphones at politicians? Watching these senate hearings where people are dialed in from Zoom are painful, some of them are like on built in laptop mics, its vomit.

I can't wait until one of these folks shows up to a hearing doing a Fortnite livestream

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You can undervolt & memory-OC the RTX 3080 for no noticeable performance loss.

That's nifty, if not marginally non intuitive but I know the Ryzen overclocking/undervolting utility does the same magic, optimizing the voltage:performance and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lads/lady's any tips for moving on pc parts?

Have a few things up on adverts atm the link is in the thread on here but finding it hard to get offers.

I know a lot of people don't wanna buy second hand and I am trying to not charge to much but at same time the parts are worth something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The older the tech the more severe a discount you have to give. The reality is that they can get much better stuff for the same price or a little more. Also, with older stuff it's rare that someone will want the whole bundle so you might be better off selling seperately.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The older the tech the more severe a discount you have to give. The reality is that they can get much better stuff for the same price or a little more. Also, with older stuff it's rare that someone will want the whole bundle so you might be better off selling seperately.

Ya I might just split up the ad go from there. Just trying move it all on as just sitting there beside my computer no use .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

The 750Ti should sell fairly easily for €50.

The FX and board - at this stage I would take what you can get, those parts have almost zero value in the current market.

RAM should sell on its own as people still want DDR3 ram, but probably for the sake of ease I would sell the FX, board and RAM for €60 - €80 or whatever you can get just to be rid of the lot.

You can buy entire complete 2nd hand, and much faster, i5 machines from Ebay for €100.

Homelander wrote: »
    The 750Ti should sell fairly easily for €50.

The FX and board - at this stage I would take what you can get, those parts have almost zero value in the current market.

RAM should sell on its own as people still want DDR3 ram, but probably for the sake of ease I would sell the FX, board and RAM for €60 - €80 or whatever you can get just to be rid of the lot.

You can buy entire complete 2nd hand, and much faster, i5 machines from Ebay for €100.

Cheers ill go over it all today!

Someone offered 100 for everything but the sound card so ill take it sure!

Just out of interest is the ASUS Xonar D2X sound card worth anything anymore or would you be doing well to get ten or twenty euro for it?

Bit of an audio upgrade today. L30/E30 stack from Topping.

529460.jpg

I am having the most annoying problem with my laptop. It's an i7-9700 with GTX1660, but games are running really poorly. The strange thing is that rivatuner or fraps report a solid 60fps, but actually playing, it feels more like 30fps, it's slow, choppy.

I've tried different drivers, monitoring the card/cpu and both running at normal speed, everything settings wise is fine...again, monitoring software reports solid 60fps....just cannot figure it out and it's incredibly irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I am having the most annoying problem with my laptop. It's an i7-9700 with GTX1660, but games are running really poorly. The strange thing is that rivatuner or fraps report a solid 60fps, but actually playing, it feels more like 30fps, it's slow, choppy.

I've tried different drivers, monitoring the card/cpu and both running at normal speed, everything settings wise is fine...again, monitoring software reports solid 60fps....just cannot figure it out and it's incredibly irritating.

What's it like on an external monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 salihagenter

hi

SickBoy wrote: »
    What's it like on an external monitor?

The same. It's really doing my head in now as I cannot find the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The same. It's really doing my head in now as I cannot find the problem.
    I used to have this on Windows 7. For me it was Windows syncing your displayed FPS to something else on the system rather than the game, like a random other window's FPS (often 30) or even the desktop. The game is internally running fine at 60fps or more, it's just Windows kind of throttling the display part of it.

Few things to try
    • Switch between fullscreen, exclusive-fullscreen, window, borderless
    • Use ALT+ENTER to toggle fullscreen, sometimes has unique effect on rendering
    • Close other windows, especially if on a multi-monitor setup
    • Disable overlays like steam's
    Hope you fix it. Drove me nuts when I still used windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You can undervolt & memory-OC the RTX 3080 for no noticeable performance loss.
    Well I was never going to buy the 3080 anyway. It's just too expensive, the 3070 would be more up my alley, but I'm planning on skipping this generation on both the GPU & CPU front.

Undervolting is something I could get into again to help my office temperatures I guess. The last time I would have done it was with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 10+ years back - I could shave 100mV off the Vcore. It dropped the temperatures 10 or so degrees, I never checked what it did to power but I suspect the impact was even greater there.

I've sort of gotten lazy since - I kind of can't be bothered anymore with testing Prime95 to find what the maximum possible stable undervolt is so I've tended to just leave stuff on "Auto" since.

z0oT wrote: »
    Well I was never going to buy the 3080 anyway. It's just too expensive, the 3070 would be more up my alley, but I'm planning on skipping this generation on both the GPU & CPU front.

Undervolting is something I could get into again to help my office temperatures I guess. The last time I would have done it was with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 10+ years back - I could shave 100mV off the Vcore. It dropped the temperatures 10 or so degrees, I never checked what it did to power but I suspect the impact was even greater there.

I've sort of gotten lazy since - I kind of can't be bothered anymore with testing Prime95 to find what the maximum possible stable undervolt is so I've tended to just leave stuff on "Auto" since.

The new ryzen overclocking/undervolting process, compared to Phenom II (I had the 1055t) looks like a downright magical procedure these days

I know I've posted videos from this channel a lot lately, but its quality info. Readible link: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-for-ryzen-ctr-guide-download,1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys do many games have the resolution 3840 x 1600 resolution incorporated these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys do many games have the resolution 3840 x 1600 resolution incorporated these days?

You never stop do you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ED E wrote: »
    You never stop do you? :D

Haha :D

I saw Alienware have a new monitor coming out on in November
    https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-alienware-aw3821dw-144hz-g-sync-ultimate-ultrawide/

So just curious to see how 3840 x 1600 compares to 3840 x 1440 when it comes to games.

We know some devs still dont do 3840 x 1440 so I suspect 3840 x 1600 maybe the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You would be just as well off to go full 4k.

• Advertisement

You would be just as well off to go full 4k.

I don't think going ultrawide is about how many spreadsheet cells you can fit to one screen as much as it is being kind to your eye's FOV etc. - all that peripheral real estate in games must be nice. I seen my boss play world of warships on one and I almost got the appeal but I was across the desk and not in the drivers seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just saw this. The LG GL850 has been dethroned. It's the same panel but 165hz with slightly better performance and can be got cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgf/apd/210-avwe/monitors-monitor-accessories

On Dell's website for €435. Very tempted to pick it up right now

Edit: Availability seems scarce enough. Added it to my cart here and said it'd be expected to arrive 15/12/2020. Still think it's a good cop though tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgf/apd/210-avwe/monitors-monitor-accessories

On Dell's website for €435. Very tempted to pick it up right now

Edit: Availability seems scarce enough. Added it to my cart here and said it'd be expected to arrive 15/12/2020. Still think it's a good cop though tbh

Open a chat window with a sales rep on the Dell website and ask for a discount, they might say no but you might get a few more quid off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Open a chat window with a sales rep on the Dell website and ask for a discount, they might say no but you might get a few more quid off it.

This might happen on older monitors where they need to get rid of stock. It's highly unlikely that this would happen for monitors they are taking pre-orders for, e.g. brand new model.

Think I can get 10% off by signing up for some newsletter which would bring it down nicely to sub 400. Think I'll order it tonight when I get a chance. Might look around and see if it's in stock somewhere else though too for similar price but available sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's not. That Dell price is the cheapest. Seems to be €500+ everywhere else.

If you find something let us know.

Ah fair enough, might just cop it so from there to feck. Now to convince the father this is a worthy investment..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

My issue is I'd want two! I need two monitors and can't stand them not being indentical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Glad I don't have that need. I've always used budget monitors as my secondaries, usually in portrait. Picked up a sub HD yoke from CEX for about €30~ with credit and it handles anything I'd need a secondary for just fine such as vertical documents.

Advertisement