Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's near identical to my current main monitor from the front outside of the logo so it doesn't bother me. Awful wasteful using something that high end as a secondary.

My current main is 1440p/95hz IPS with the same colour range and was only just over €200. More than good enough for a secondary.

Gonna need a meatier cpu and gpu then for the 165hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

BloodBath wrote: »
    Gonna need a meatier cpu and gpu then for the 165hz.

I'm in the same boat I'd say. Just hoping for 5000 series price drop when the are released but I'd say availability will be fairly shocking for a while. Thankfully CS runs on potatoes taped together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Glad I don't have that need. I've always used budget monitors as my secondaries, usually in portrait. Picked up a sub HD yoke from CEX for about €30~ with credit and it handles anything I'd need a secondary for just fine such as vertical documents.

Jesus that sounds awful. I've had enough of awful monitors in work and couldn't deal with cheap low res monitors at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Not long until Black Friday / Cyber Monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I don't think I could ever actually buy two. I'd never be able to justify it to myself.

Something similar enough could do the job. I'm getting along OK with one of my own and one work one which are different the last few months. The work one is bigger and better than my own ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

I always had monitors in landscape configuration, recently I gave portrait a go and I find it a million times better and wouldn't go back. Obviously depends on your use, but it's amazing that it took me the best part of a decade to even give it a go.

BfQxjJU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Jesus that sounds awful. I've had enough of awful monitors in work and couldn't deal with cheap low res monitors at home.
    It's perfect for vertical chat windows and documents to read from while I do work. OBS & chat windows fit in it fine, only glancing at them. If it was any bigger it wouldn't physically fit where I need it to be right now, mounted on one of those arms. 90% of major websites are all designed to be viewed from low res vertical screens because of android. There's no way I'd spend anymore than 50 quid on something I barely look at. I have virtual desktops via gnome and other desktop environments so I don't even feel the desire for big secondaries anymore. If I won another fancy HD monitor that wasn't better than my current 1440p one I'd probably sell it.

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Think I can get 10% off by signing up for some newsletter which would bring it down nicely to sub 400. Think I'll order it tonight when I get a chance. Might look around and see if it's in stock somewhere else though too for similar price but available sooner

About to pull the trigger on that Dell monitor. How do I get this discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Homelander wrote: »
    I always had monitors in landscape configuration, recently I gave portrait a go and I find it a million times better and wouldn't go back. Obviously depends on your use, but it's amazing that it took me the best part of a decade to even give it a go.

BfQxjJU.jpg

If I had to play an FPS with my crosshair between the bezels I'd go insane. :o

Just emailed the support team to try and get a voucher code. Should be a 10% discount I hope.

Delivery is free too so hopefully I can get it for under €400.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    If I had to play an FPS with my crosshair between the bezels I'd go insane. :o

I don't think he uses it for gaming like that. At least I assume not.

It's just a secondary to have something else open while you game or for work.

Couldn't get a further discount but ordered it anyway.

Lead time of 41 days sadly. Hopefully it arrives sooner than that.

That's a bollox. Under 400 would have been nice. Just sent off the email there for the discount myself but seeing as you got no where I'll probably just pick it up as well. Good price as it is to be fair. Plenty of time for anticipation

You might be able to get one if you're a student. €430 for the best 1440p IPS panel on the market is still a great deal.

Looking forward to it. Will give me time to get a good dual Vesa mount and sell my old 1080p monitor.

You might be able to get one if you're a student. €430 for the best 1440p IPS panel on the market is still a great deal.

Looking forward to it. Will give me time to get a good dual Vesa mount and sell my old 1080p monitor.

I'd say not, I've only second level and I think I read something saying they only do student discounts to valid collge emails/proof of attending college. €430 is great though and for once I'll actually get free delivery because it isn't some English site. Any decent table clamp vesa mounts out there? Thinking I'll pick up one and a boom for a microphone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Just ordered this 1 this morning https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0899XV7G1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Now just need to sell my qnix and pick up a cheapish 4k monitor as a second

Seen that 1 too. No idea which 1 is better.

Before I drop the bomb on this can I just ask how you couldn't get further discount? Did they not want to send you a code, did they send you a code or did you get no reply? I just read that I'm meant to wait 24 hours for a reply and it'd drive me mad thinking I wasted nearly 50 quid by not waiting a day

I used the live online service, was on with a rep who checked and said they couldn't do any further discounts on it as it was already discounted by 20%.

• Advertisement

I used the live online service, was on with a rep who checked and said they couldn't do any further discounts on it as it was already discounted by 20%.

Ah right cheers lad

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Got bit of a shock last night, was playing Tony Hawks using my Xbox 360 controller and heard crackling and though feck is this something in my PC but actually turned out to be the controller.

The battery acid went into the controller and now it's destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Headshot wrote: »
    Got bit of a shock last night, was playing Tony Hawks using my Xbox 360 controller and heard crackling and though feck is this something in my PC but actually turned out to be the controller.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Headshot wrote: »

Was it a play n charge perhaps? Those were NiMH so if you put the wrong cells in they can burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

In today's episode of "what year is it?"

2010's hottest CPU is listed on Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Its unreal the price people are looking to get on adverts for 2nd hand cpu's...Some guy wanting 470 quid for a cpu that costs 420 new....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Its unreal the price people are looking to get on adverts for 2nd hand cpu's...Some guy wanting 470 quid for a cpu that costs 420 new....

Same with GPUs. Hoping for someone who needs one desperately maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone want a 14 day free trial to Xbox game pass ultimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Two questions

Can anyone recommend a decent toolkit that includes all the right-sized screwdrivers (magnetic if possible) plyers, and anything else I might need? I don't really have the right screwdrivers around and I keep chewing up the threads on screws.

Secondly, does anyone use braided power cables separate to the ones that came with your PSU. Is it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

errlloyd wrote: »
    Two questions

Can anyone recommend a decent toolkit that includes all the right-sized screwdrivers (magnetic if possible) plyers, and anything else I might need? I don't really have the right screwdrivers around and I keep chewing up the threads on screws.

Secondly, does anyone use braided power cables separate to the ones that came with your PSU. Is it worth it?

Fix it with Ifixit.

Advertisement