Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

In general, you'll need two screwdrivers, one phillips #2 and one phillips #1 (if you have an m.2 ssd). Computer assembly is approx 20 screws now, most of them being the same size, or at least accepting a #2 screwdriver.
    4 PSU, 4 Case, 6 motherboard, 1 m.2 SSD. Most hard drives and ssds can be mounted without screws, but add 2 or 4 for each.

Braided cables are purely an aesthetic choice. The choice is purely up to you, but build it first and then make that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Xenoronin wrote: »
    In general, you'll need two screwdrivers, one phillips #2 and one phillips #1 (if you have an m.2 ssd). Computer assembly is approx 20 screws now, most of them being the same size, or at least accepting a #2 screwdriver.
    4 PSU, 4 Case, 6 motherboard, 1 m.2 SSD. Most hard drives and ssds can be mounted without screws, but add 2 or 4 for each.

Braided cables are purely an aesthetic choice. The choice is purely up to you, but build it first and then make that choice.

It's finished. Pending a card which I will hopefully get today.

Lian Li O11
    6x Lian Li Bora Lite fans (3 intake on top, 3 exhaust to the side)
    750W Coolermaster MWE Gold
    B550f Asus Motherboard
    Ryzen 3600XT
    16GB Corsair 3000mhz ram (next thing to be upgraded?)
    1060GTX 6GB (until next week, hopefully)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If possible I'd have the intake on the side and the exhaust on the top

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

I really want to believe this is joke. Even so, it's hilarious either way..

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If possible I'd have the intake on the side and the exhaust on the top

This was my gut too. Hot air rises, so may as well help it rather than fight it. But most reviewers of that case said in top, out side.

My cpu is air cooled and isn't going above 70 in warzone. But if there is a more demanding test for it I'd be happy to try something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Coyler wrote: »
    I really want to believe this is joke. Even so, it's hilarious either way..

Every day is amateur stand-up night on Adverts.

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/geforce-gtx-1660-super-ryzen-5-3600-gaming-pc/21985689

"This PC would cost €2,500 if bought pre-built"

A Ryzen 3600, 16GB and GTX1660 machine.

Which you can customise to identical spec to that add for £700 on AWD IT and get it shipped to your door.

This is probably another favourite. Now €300 but originally was €550, turned down offers of €400 and advertised as budget 1080P gaming PC.

"Used for one week, motherboard used but all others parts new."

New and i7-930. Gaming PC and GT710. Does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Homelander wrote: »
    Every day is amateur stand-up night on Adverts.

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/geforce-gtx-1660-super-ryzen-5-3600-gaming-pc/21985689

"This PC would cost €2,500 if bought pre-built"

A Ryzen 3600, 16GB and GTX1660 machine.

Which you can customise to identical spec to that add for £700 on AWD IT and get it shipped to your door.

This is probably another favourite. Now €300 but originally was €550, turned down offers of €400 and advertised as budget 1080P gaming PC.

"Used for one week, motherboard used but all others parts new."

New and i7-930. Gaming PC and GT710. Does not compute.

Christ those are depressing...especially the second one.

Turned down €400? It belongs in a museum!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

errlloyd wrote: »
    This was my gut too. Hot air rises, so may as well help it rather than fight it. But most reviewers of that case said in top, out side.

My cpu is air cooled and isn't going above 70 in warzone. But if there is a more demanding test for it I'd be happy to try something else.

Hot air rises, but fan airflow overcomes static heat rise 100% of the time.

Which O11 did you get, Dynamic or Air?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It's finished. Pending a card which I will hopefully get today.

Lian Li O11
    6x Lian Li Bora Lite fans (3 intake on top, 3 exhaust to the side)
    750W Coolermaster MWE Gold
    B550f Asus Motherboard
    Ryzen 3600XT
    16GB Corsair 3000mhz ram (next thing to be upgraded?)
    1060GTX 6GB (until next week, hopefully)

Nice build, I have 9 Alpenfohn fans in total, 3 on the bottom intake (Asus Strix fans in the pic), 3 in the middle out take and 3 on the AIO on the top exhaust. Also have space on the back for one more (I have the XL ROG edition 011)

Works really well, I have my 3900x @ 4.5ghz all cores and idle early 42c and gaming for hours 60ish very quiet aswell.

Just waiting on a GPU most likely a 6900XT now.....

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/AH8Nmiwl.jpg[/img]"]AH8Nmiwl.jpg[/URL]

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Nice build, I have 9 Alpenfohn fans in total, 3 on the bottom intake (Asus Strix fans in the pic), 3 in the middle out take and 3 on the AIO on the top exhaust. Also have space on the back for one more (I have the XL ROG edition 011)

Works really well, I have my 3900x @ 4.5ghz all cores and idle early 42c and gaming for hours 60ish very quiet aswell.

Just waiting on a GPU most likely a 6900XT now.....

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/AH8Nmiwl.jpg[/img]"]AH8Nmiwl.jpg[/URL]

Haha yours looks much more beautiful than mine! Nice job.

Just on the fans though - are we not supposed to avoid negative pressure inside the case (because it sucks in dust)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Looking to make some major purchases soon folks. New Ryzen Mobo/cpu/ram combo, and probably new fans, cpu cooler etc. When spending this much money before (5+ years ago at this stage), I've bought from Germany to save money (Mindfactory specifically) to save (quite a bit!) of money.

My understanding is that they don't ship outside the country anymore. Any way around this that's worth it? Or is there another good website that ships internationally in germany? I usually use the website Geizhals.de to get the best prices.

Unless a PC is on a carpert dust is not rerally a problem. On these cases every where a fan can be mounted there is a good dust filter, the only place I have air being sucked in is on the bottom and there is about as 2inch clearence so loads of clean air is getting in and is hitting the GPU which in turn is blowing it backwards towards where it is getting exhausted by the 3 middle fans. Any hot air rising is getting exhausted by the top 3 high speed fans on the AIO.

It works very well for this set up, I tried other configs and this was the best that I got....I thought with the 9 fans it would be loud but its really not and I have a very good fan profile set up in the bios.

Will see what happens with a big bulky RTX 30 or AMD 6000 series in there.

But with the vertical GPU mount I should be fine.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Looking to make some major purchases soon folks. New Ryzen Mobo/cpu/ram combo, and probably new fans, cpu cooler etc. When spending this much money before (5+ years ago at this stage), I've bought from Germany to save money (Mindfactory specifically) to save (quite a bit!) of money.

My understanding is that they don't ship outside the country anymore. Any way around this that's worth it? Or is there another good website that ships internationally in germany? I usually use the website Geizhals.de to get the best prices.

I can recommend CASEKINGS.DE bought my whole system there and they are very good to deal with. Had a mix up with a courier but that was on DHL rather then CaseKings.de to be honest.

If there is a problem it will be an email jobbie as they are not to good with the english when I called (to be expected) but was sorted straight away from an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Gumbi wrote: »

https://www.computeruniverse.de

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Hot air rises, but fan airflow overcomes static heat rise 100% of the time.

Which O11 did you get, Dynamic or Air?

The Dynamic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Mucashinto wrote: »

Sticking this here as well in case anyone misses it. I've already ordered the Dell S2721DGF but it could be 2 months before I get it.

Seriously tempted to cancel and order this. What's overclockers delivery charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

BloodBath wrote: »
    Seriously tempted to cancel and order this. What's overclockers delivery charge?

Just went through to checkout and shows as £0.00 delivery fee for me. DPD 2 day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Spoilers for Infinity War :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I also have this case and I remember Gamers Nexus doing some testing and intake on the side was the best setup for thermals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys can anyone recommend where to get a computer desk?

I've had a look on ikea and nothing jumps out at me for the size I want

120-140cm Width
    Around 70cm height
    Depth around 140cm (important one)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

So you want a 140cm square? You're probably better looking at small conference tables or stuff like that. I've never seen a desk that deep before. (mine is one of the deepest I've used, and it's 80cm)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ikea do a 140x140 Bekant conference table. Is there something you don't like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure those measurements are what you want Headshot?

I slide my belly under the desk, elbows on the desk and hands a fair way in. Im tall so don't have short arms and my desk (U shaped) is 60cm at its deepest. Thats plenty. 120cm at the ends of the "arms". I'm guessing you might be using a box style monitor stand and with a big fook off monitor you need to now pull way back. If so then its time to VESA mount that beast.

Nope I gave the wrong measurement requests lol

My current desk is

Depth 80cm
    Width 120cm
    height 70cm

(love the desk tbh but I don't think it will work so well with a bigger monitor)

I want a desk with more depth because I plan to get 48" screen as my monitor.

I ideally I want
    depth of around 90-100cm
    Width 120-140cm
    Height around 70

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Wall mount it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Ikea kitchen worktop and some desk legs? Would need to use two to get 140 depth.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Wall mount it.

God I have an awful history of wall mounting stuff, im dreadful at it (I dont have a DIY bone in my body lol)

The last one I did was awful and had to take it off the wall and the holes are still there laughing at my incompetence :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Does anyone know if there's a time set for the sale of the new AMD CPUs?
    I remember November 5th, but not the time.

Advertisement