Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If it's the wraith stealth, they're absolute muck and similar to the old intel stock coolers. The spire is decent for stock, and then the prism is the gem of them all.

...its wraith stealth.

edit yeah okay I got it in my head they were shipping the Prism. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a prism sitting in a box got it with my 3700X.

I have a prism sitting in a box got it with my 3700X.

I'd ask about sending it but overseas bla bla bla and I'd rather shop for a noctua for all the sake of a $40 part.

Overheal wrote: »
    I'd ask about sending it but overseas bla bla bla and I'd rather shop for a noctua for all the sake of a $40 part.

They are really good for a stock cooler but yea a aftermarket would be better.

• Advertisement

The dearer one is better but overkill you can buy cheaper tower coolers. The cheaper one would probably be like the prism stock cooler.

I'm open to recommendations.

I guess idk how much is overkill I'm not that familiar with overclocking (last time I did was a 1055t, which dates me) - I assume getting +300 Mhz won't be much of a thermal bother?

I like the low profile because of aesthetics, these big block towers look hideous in most builds. But the big boy there has a ton of accolades. While I'm not a heat transfer PHD or anything I am a mechanical engineer so top build quality and thermal performance interest me more than a difference in looks but if performance matches the field is open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Why

Because they make some really good PSUs which I presumed was the nature of your post.

SickBoy wrote: »
    Because they make some really good PSUs which I presumed was the nature of your post.

I just didn't know if there was more to the reccomendation :P I know when people talk up EVGA GPUs its for the transferrable long haul warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I just didn't know if there was more to the reccomendation :P I know when people talk up EVGA GPUs its for the transferrable long haul warranties.

Their SuperNOVA series gets very good reviews. Check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Looks horrible far to big for my liking

Definitely leaning toward Noctua NH-D15 and 3D printing my own cover/making my own RGB solution later.

I agree the low profile one won't be much better thermal performance than the wraith prism.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCTUA-NA-HC6-chromax-Black-Heatsink-NH-U14S/dp/B07SVLBSD3/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1CUNR9QBG7VI0&dchild=1&keywords=noctua+heatsink+cover+nh-d15&qid=1604796610&sprefix=noctua+heat%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-7#customerReviews

they make these but you'd need 2, theyre expensive and I see limited appeal to the steel clips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Might as well go AIO if you want something with RGB and a lower profile with that budget.

A little pricier, a lot tidier looking, and doubles up as top exhaust fans for the case. There are cheaper ones. No idea which are good though.

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Kraken-X53-240mm-RL-KRX53-01/dp/B082DYR131/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=aio+liquid+cooler&qid=1604798007&sr=8-3

I'll think about it

I have a 120mm Corsair AiO in my build now, never a complaint. Just figured heat pipes would pull heat off the chip faster in the back of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I remember buying the scythe one time. It would not fit in the Corsair case I picked out for that build. Think it is still rotting in my dads garage because I didn't want to pay the restocking fee and he didn't need the money. The plan was to swipe it once it became 'surplus' but I never got around to it (we are not on speaking terms :pac:)

From his video above the 2x140mm NZXT X62 sounds like the smart option (I think it will fit the top of the Be Quiet 500D?) but also, much pricier.

edit: it will not fit. Damn! case only fits 240mm on top.

Actually I may hold off..

https://www.icegiantcooling.com/

This is TBD December 2020 for $169 and looks slimmer than the 2019 prototype linus is holding. It has no mechanical pump and uses fluid mechanics/heat transfer principles (not that far off in theory from a Sterling Engine) to push a dielectric liquid with just its own expansion/contraction.

ice-giant-in%20chassis.webp

How%20it%20works-%20main.webp

Fun fact, the sintered metal wick talked about in the video is roughly the same membrane used to separate the cooling loop on an EVA suit, and outer space. Basically as the loop heated up, water in the mesh was interfaced with space, so its frozen, and as it absorbs suit heat the ice sublimates to space which is physically how the joules of heat are ejected from the EVA suit, since radiation expulsion requires way too much surface area to be practical. So, when an astronaut is on EVA, they are constantly losing water to space, thats what carries away the heat. Here's the PDF I had to do a term project about it :P

..That has nothing to do with how the thermosiphon works, more how normal heat pipes work, but its damn interesting. They also have a fart valve so they can bleed the air loop if they have indigestion :pac:

Then again the Elite 2020 in the link above is double the cost of a good mainstream tower cooler (and it is a tower cooler by form factor). According to these reviews really it's been targeted/engineered for high wattage CPUs like Threadripper that can go north of 350W which at that point (according to Linus or his research sources) the principles of heat transfer in a Heat Pipe are overwhelmed and the vapor inside never condensates, turning the heat pipe into a heat insulator. Not a problem most PC CPUs will encounter. Until they come out with a 1/2 size model for regular use cases this is a bit too enthusiast for me.

My other concern now with considering the AiO is the case I already bought - the Be Quiet! 500DX. Except on the front panel it's very tight to be putting a radiator+fan into

Example:

75590bfe-4c85-4515-8a7b-32dc424269bd.png
    maxresdefault.jpg

The obstruction to the rear fan isn't terrible, I guess, it just is not very aesthetic. I'm also seeing conflicting info because the spec says it can support a top 240 mm radiator, but it can also support 2 top 140 mm fans - Presumably, this is because a 280 mm radiator + 2x140 mm fans would not clear the VRM heatsink or RAM.

Speaking of that:

13-157-883-V91.jpg
    (Do I need to be concerned 4000 Mhz isn't listed here?)

I guess there's nothing on the top of the board I need to have unobstructed, like the LED readout or anything.

And then again you're back to paying as much for an AiO as going for this flashy new cooler prototype. If it works as well as the hype, it could be industry disrupting but will probably run afoul of what you'd expect small name brands to encounter.

I've watched a video on a channel i'm subscribed to on YouTube and he fits a 280 up top on the DX. Will find the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Laaaaaaads.

I have a system here with a good NVMe SSD (Patroid Viper 512gb) and it's on a B450 R5 3600 system.

I have all the parts for a new system coming early next week. a B500 R5 5600x system.

Can I use the NVMe as is with windows installed and just install the new drivers, or is she a gonner and I have to do a fresh install?

I see them youtube fellas doing it often but like, I've never tried.

It should work. I done the same from a Intel build straight to this current X570 Zen 2 build but ended up with a few yellow triangles in device manager so I fresh installed and all was good but since it is a Ryzen straight to another Ryzen it should be ok but I still reckon you may get one or two triangles. Not as much as I had though.

It should work. I done the same from a Intel build straight to this current X570 Zen 2 build but ended up with a few yellow triangles in device manager so I fresh installed and all was good but since it is a Ryzen straight to another Ryzen it should be ok but I still reckon you may get one or two triangles. Not as much as I had though.

d'ya know what, I reckon I clone the NVMe to the SSD I'm replacing it with in the old system and then do a fresh install onto it in the new system just for the sake of doing it right. It's just a system drive anyway, all my games are on another 2.5" ssd and my other data (pcitures, music, work stuff) is on another 2.5" HDD I scavanged from an old laptop I used for college and both of them will be migrating with the new system, so once I install windows fresh, which takes like 5 minutes on an NVMe drive, I'll be good to go, and the old system is still as is.

Why a low profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's not as good as a Noctua NH-C14S - and neither is as good as a proper tower.

w01BHFLl.jpg

Measured from the top fan mount to the floor of the case you have about 22mm clearance underneath the bottom fan for radiators, which should be enough for most 280mm; ofc you could just mount a 240mm & move the front fan to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Great price for anyone looking for a decent monitor.

Have one myself and paid more than this. LG27GL850 B 1440-144HZ

€341 Delivered from Amazon Germany

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B07T7K2V7L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_dlC_arjQFb06F26TA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Trying to resist buying another one!

EDIT: Out of stock now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's a great deal. If I hadn't already pulled the trigger on the Dell I'd get it for sure.

The Dell is better but it's not €90 better.

Why a low profile?

Really attracted to the larger fans (135mm) and the fact it pulls it off without taking up the entire volume of the case. Just thing it will look interesting and still get the job done. Plus the top down does better cooling on VRMs etc.

Because I really couldn’t pull myself to buy one of the other blocks, and it’s performance appears reasonable especially for overclocking a 65W CPU. None of the towers looked utterly great without trade offs and I wanted something a little different. The more I looked at them they just all looked like big cubes with heat pipe nipples. I don’t want to admire that through a glass panel. It’s really a neat way to show off heat pipes sideways like this.

That cooler master RGB tower caught my eye but it’s not just kinda blocky, which I could get over because of the shroud, the problem is the shroud reportedly makes it rocket surgery to swap out the fan. Not to mention, not the best performing thing. I wanted something that wouldn’t look too cramped and this looks entirely serviceable. Not as much thermal throughout or quite as silent as a NH-D15 but not too far off.

AiO would have been a fine choice as well but I haven’t given a tower cooler a lash in forever ever. My next foray into water I want to be custom. However the AiO wouldn’t have been as beneficial for VRM/RAM and motherboard cooling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Really attracted to the larger fans (135mm) and the fact it pulls it off without taking up the entire volume of the case. Just thing it will look interesting and still get the job done. Plus the top down does better cooling on VRMs etc.

Because I really couldn’t pull myself to buy one of the other blocks, and it’s performance appears reasonable especially for overclocking a 65W CPU. None of the towers looked utterly great without trade offs and I wanted something a little different. The more I looked at them they just all looked like big cubes with heat pipe nipples. I don’t want to admire that through a glass panel. It’s really a neat way to show off heat pipes sideways like this.

That cooler master RGB tower caught my eye but it’s not just kinda blocky, which I could get over because of the shroud, the problem is the shroud reportedly makes it rocket surgery to swap out the fan. Not to mention, not the best performing thing. I wanted something that wouldn’t look too cramped and this looks entirely serviceable. Not as much thermal throughout or quite as silent as a NH-D15 but not too far off.

AiO would have been a fine choice as well but I haven’t given a tower cooler a lash in forever ever. My next foray into water I want to be custom. However the AiO wouldn’t have been as beneficial for VRM/RAM and motherboard cooling.

One thing about that be quiet! that would put me off slightly is installation - you have to screw it in from underneath the mobo while holding the cooler in place? That sounds awkward although I guess it's a one time thing.

In the looks department I think the Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black looks gorgeous, although I'd probably add a second NF-F12 PWM to it. Your be quiet! does looks pretty cool too tbf.

Advertisement