Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Inviere wrote: »
    Is it worth looking at the 7's over the 5's at all, for a purely gaming setup?

Its pretty unlikey that games will scale well past 12 threads in the foreseeable future. Right now the future is DX12 and it has the noticeable effect of reducing CPU load

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The extra cores might come in handy for streaming setups or emulators though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The extra cores might come in handy for streaming setups or emulators though.

I always thought twitch could save themselves a fortune by deploying a official streaming app, so if there are no viewers nothing gets sent to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Well I managed a right **** up. Switching out my ivybridge CPU and matx board for a Ryzen 2600 and matx board. Orders a like for like replacement b75 to b450, and just picked up a cheap one that had decent reviews on Amazon without looking into it too much.
    Slotted in the graphics card (3 slots cooler)and pretty much every sata port is covered by it! Can squeeze in two using elbow connectors, but need three.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Well I managed a right **** up. Switching out my ivybridge CPU and matx board for a Ryzen 2600 and matx board. Orders a like for like replacement b75 to b450, and just picked up a cheap one that had decent reviews on Amazon without looking into it too much.
    Slotted in the graphics card (3 slots cooler)and pretty much every sata port is covered by it! Can squeeze in two using elbow connectors, but need three.

What are you using the ports for? One SSD and two HDD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That happens surprisingly often to me, incredibly irritating. You could change your SSD to an M2, which'd save one port and make it feasible.

Or turn one device into an external HDD.

Ssd+hdd+hdd (cloned backup) + external cloned backup. Yeah put in an order for another motherboard so hopefully will be sorted during the week, as am donating the old innards to somebody next weekend.

I'll stick the current one (with approx 1 hour of use!) On adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

superg wrote: »
    Back to this again! Appreciate any input.

New PSU in and it started and shut down instantly and kept doing that. I took 1 stick of ram out and it started no problem. Shut it down and tried the other stick on its own and again, started no problem so both sticks I assume are ok however it refuses to start with both sticks installed.

Bad memory or something else? It gives two short beeps on startup with one stick installed, doesn't even get as far as beeps with 2 in it. Googled 2 beeps for MSI but nothing comes up thats even remotely recent to say what it means.

Ok so tried a different set of ddr3 ( thanks to game4it70!) and the same problem occurs so the issue is either the mobo or maybe the IMC

Rather than buy a single channel 8GB stick he wants to just keep his money and upgrade when Ryzen 2 comes out.

He has a 350 quid at the moment so wont need much more hopefully. Will only need CPU, RAM and a mobo.

I'm thinking a 3600 or 3600x would be a good upgrade for him, any opinions?

Its a gaming PC only, he plays everything from 10 quid indie titles up to the AAAs! Current monitors is a 4k screen but he only has a 970 so he games at 1080/1440 depending on game. He will eventually get my 1080 when I find something worth upgrading to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Only just had time to game using the Vega 56 I picked up last week, two crashes before I undervolted and reduced clocks a bit more. Kind of worried it's to do with the PSU rating, which I didn't check.

I can still return within 14 days, considering an MSI 1660ti for 299GBP?
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-gtx-1660ti-gaming-x-6144mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-354-ms.html

jebidiah wrote: »
    Only just had time to game using the Vega 56 I picked up last week, two crashes before I undervolted and reduced clocks a bit more. Kind of worried it's to do with the PSU rating, which I didn't check.

What game? As I have 56 and don't experience crashes.

• Advertisement

Overwatch. I also find it doesn't seem to hold fps as well as my GTX 970. That card was able to lock 144 fps on ultra while the Vega card fluctuates a lot.

I didn't adjust the clock speed target lowered the state 7 power to 1050mv, power limit +50, auto fan curve, no memory overclock. Its been running for a while now no problems, but not as smooth as I'd like.
    Apex legends on the other hand seems to be even smoother than before, almost like the game is sped up.

jebidiah wrote: »
    Overwatch. I also find it doesn't seem to hold fps as well as my GTX 970. That card was able to lock 144 fps on ultra while the Vega card fluctuates a lot.

I didn't adjust the clock speed target lowered the state 7 power to 1050mv, power limit +50, auto fan curve, no memory overclock. Its been running for a while now no problems, but not as smooth as I'd like.
    Apex legends on the other hand seems to be even smoother than before, almost like the game is sped up.

Overclock the memory to 940.

I (and many others) find Overwatch to be really bad with overclocked cards.
    I get hard system locks (requiring full reset) if I go past the factory OC :(

Sucks because all other games can reliably take another +110MHz core clock.

Also latest patch seems to suck for me.
    Was getting 1440p / High-Ultra / 144fps stable before, now it's in the 100s.
    Happens like every 2-3 patches tbh.

I (and many others) find Overwatch to be really bad with overclocked cards.
    I get hard system locks (requiring full reset) if I go past the factory OC :(

Sucks because all other games can reliably take another +110MHz core clock.

Also latest patch seems to suck for me.
    Was getting 1440p / High-Ultra / 144fps stable before, now it's in the 100s.
    Happens like every 2-3 patches tbh.

Thats an interesting point, my system completely froze twice when playing. It went away when I removed the overclock, but I did get a BSOD when alt tabbing from the game just now.

Over all the game doesn't right for whatever reason compared to my 970.

Just to check but did you use DDU to remove the old Nvidia drivers?

Just to check but did you use DDU to remove the old Nvidia drivers?

I did yeah. There was an issue when I installed the card as well so I used DDU to remove the first AMD ones, and ran their autodetect software to make sure I got the latest version.

I'll need to sit down for a few hours when I've a bit more time and do some proper benchmarking. Seems to be running ok with settings folks suggested on line. A good bit louder than I expected!

My Ducky One2 Mini shipped today. Really looking forward to giving it a bash.

Arrived today. Added my White double shots to it.

474709.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Arrived today. Added my White doubles shots to it.

474709.jpg

That looks very nice. There's a blue/purple one reduced on Overclockers today for £89. Is that similar to yours?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ducky-one2-tkl-horizon-blue-cherry-mx-switch-usb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-uk-layout-kb-236-dk.html?campaign=affiliate/tag&campaign=affiliate/tag

That's the Tenkeyless version by the looks of it. The mini is a 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's the Tenkeyless version by the looks of it. The mini is a 60%.

Ah yes I see it now. The one I linked has the arrow keys!!

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »

Well the second board is perfect, so far anyways, won't be rebuilding it back into the case until next week sometime I reckon. All six sata ports are accessible, the four under the graphics card are horizontal to the motherboard and face outwards at the edge.l of the board.

It's an MSI B450m Auros M board For anybody looking to avoid the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

Can anyone give me an idea of what these few bits worth be worth as a set?

6600K (never oc'd)
    Asus Z170i Pro Gaming (mitx)
    Hyper X FURY DDR4 16GB

OSI wrote: »
    I get twitchy when someone hands me a keyboard without a Numpad, take away the arrow and nav keys as well and I think I'd start smashing things.

I'll admit that it does take some getting used to. I still have a TKL if i need it.

After debating on a new keyboard or not... went with a Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L.

...Geforce Edition :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Inviere wrote:
    Can anyone give me an idea of what these few bits worth be worth as a set?

Do you have these for sale anywhere?

RossieMan wrote: »
    Do you have these for sale anywhere?

Not yet, I’ll try price them up and advertise them next week. Still not 100% what’d be a good price for them, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Ram is 80 euro max if it's 3000mhz.
    CPU 150ish and board 80 if it's fully working.

Sell them seperately. You'll struggle to get value for them together. I'd sell on eBay too.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Ram is 80 euro max if it's 3000mhz.
    CPU 150ish and board 80 if it's fully working.

Sell them seperately. You'll struggle to get value for them together. I'd sell on eBay too.

Nah the ram is max 2400 I’d say, cheers for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anyone come accross a good phone stand/charger thats powered off USB?

Sick of the wires hanging round when charging the phone from front panel usb when im using the PC.

Ideally id be able to just put it beside the PC monitor so i can still see it for notifications.

Using an S7 just incase that matters. Most likely be sticking woth samsung for next phone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anyone come accross a good phone stand/charger thats powered off USB?

Sick of the wires hanging round when charging the phone from front panel usb when im using the PC.

Ideally id be able to just put it beside the PC monitor so i can still see it for notifications.

Using an S7 just incase that matters. Most likely be sticking woth samsung for next phone too.

I use this stand, hand for checking phone and charging
    Ifecco Action Cam 4k WiFi 16MP Ultra HD Sport Action Camera, es, nero& https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KZM5YX0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OdxHCbD4CGMP8

Advertisement