Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Listening to your man from STH while working, got this craving to build an EPYC monster now. I have ZERO need for one but those CB points are calling to me.

Do QS/ES chips exist on the AMD side of the aisle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Overheal wrote: »
    Really attracted to the larger fans (135mm) and the fact it pulls it off without taking up the entire volume of the case. Just thing it will look interesting and still get the job done. Plus the top down does better cooling on VRMs etc.

Because I really couldn’t pull myself to buy one of the other blocks, and it’s performance appears reasonable especially for overclocking a 65W CPU. None of the towers looked utterly great without trade offs and I wanted something a little different. The more I looked at them they just all looked like big cubes with heat pipe nipples. I don’t want to admire that through a glass panel. It’s really a neat way to show off heat pipes sideways like this.

That cooler master RGB tower caught my eye but it’s not just kinda blocky, which I could get over because of the shroud, the problem is the shroud reportedly makes it rocket surgery to swap out the fan. Not to mention, not the best performing thing. I wanted something that wouldn’t look too cramped and this looks entirely serviceable. Not as much thermal throughout or quite as silent as a NH-D15 but not too far off.

AiO would have been a fine choice as well but I haven’t given a tower cooler a lash in forever ever. My next foray into water I want to be custom. However the AiO wouldn’t have been as beneficial for VRM/RAM and motherboard cooling.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    One thing about that be quiet! that would put me off slightly is installation - you have to screw it in from underneath the mobo while holding the cooler in place? That sounds awkward although I guess it's a one time thing.

In the looks department I think the Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black looks gorgeous, although I'd probably add a second NF-F12 PWM to it. Your be quiet! does looks pretty cool too tbf.

I have the little brother of this, wasnt too bad to install, doesnt exactly need prodgious dexterity.

It is pretty neat despite the 135mm fan, relatively quiet compared to stock, but only cooling a 65W processor at the same time. It looks pretty good, although will never be seen as have dont have a windowed case.
    I stuck up a couple pics here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114056583&postcount=4254

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Anyone can give me an idea of how much I might be able to get for my old rig, now that I'm working on a new 4K build?

It's a very decent 1080p machine, probably makes sense to sell as a whole rather than parts?

• Ryzen 1600X @ 3.8ghz cooled by a Noctua NH-L12
    • Zotac NVIDIA 1070 Mini
    • GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3
    • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz CL15
    • Samsung SM961 Polaris 128GB M.2-2280 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe, which is basically a OEM 960
    • Crucial M500 240gb
    • 1TB Western Digital 7200rpm HDD.
    • SilverStone SST-ST65F-G v 2.0; Strider Gold S 650W
    • SilverStone SST-GD09; Grandia HTPC, ATX, black (yes, an horizontal htpc case, sits under my tv), with 3 additional Noctua Fans

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Where is the best place to buy compressed air for cleaning a PC. It's always cheap on amazon, but will never ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

errlloyd wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy compressed air for cleaning a PC. It's always cheap on amazon, but will never ship to Ireland.

Powercity? But dont remeber the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ED E wrote: »
    Listening to your man from STH while working, got this craving to build an EPYC monster now. I have ZERO need for one but those CB points are calling to me.

Do QS/ES chips exist on the AMD side of the aisle?

So many acronyms I don't quite follow because I'm not from the server side

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dealz normally have cans of it, think it was 1.50 a can the last time I grabbed a few

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Dealz normally have cans of it, think it was 1.50 a can the last time I grabbed a few

Just be careful buying that compressed air in deals..i had a few of them a while back and the cans tend to leak liquid whilst spraying from the nozzle...bad idea if you are blowing out inside your case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Not directly PC, but somewhat related.
    Changed our virgin media tv box for the new type and they advised us to just take the old box to a WEEE recycling centre.
    Is the harddrive out of this at all removable/usable to use as a regular harddrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jacovs wrote: »
    Changed our virgin media tv box for the new type and they advised us to just take the old box to a WEEE recycling centre.
    Is the harddrive out of this at all removable/usable to use as a regular harddrive?

It would be but it would be pointless what would it be worth 20 euro.

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Just be careful buying that compressed air in deals..i had a few of them a while back and the cans tend to leak liquid whilst spraying from the nozzle...bad idea if you are blowing out inside your case

all dustcans do that, you have to be gentle with them. Too much shaking, usually trying to overwork one can.

It honestly pays to just grab a multipack, since they freeze over quickly, use a bit of each and rotate them.

Ah but eWaste. Recycle. Reduce. Reuse.

Cheers. I would just rather use it than let it literally go to waste.

Just maybe use hddtune or something similar to check health/errors

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Might be a bit of a pain and not worth the hassle, here's a forum on overclockers but for one of the older boxes https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/re-use-of-hdd-out-of-virgin-tivo-box.18786493/

This Year should be called Year of a Scalpel.
    PS5
    5600x

yoshiktk wrote: »
    This Year should be called Year of a Scalpel.

I mean you gotta do what you gotta do.

TBF to the Ryzen launch it benefitted from all the lessons learned from the Nvidia launch :D I was cloudflared and everything to buy my 1 CPU. I guess if I wanted to sell it back off yeah I'd do it at a profit, and it would almost make sense to since I'm waiting on a GPU either way - though, those will be out soonish.

532349.jpeg

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

Might be a bit of a pain and not worth the hassle, here's a forum on overclockers but for one of the older boxes https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/re-use-of-hdd-out-of-virgin-tivo-box.18786493/

Thats if I can even get it out of the box to begin with. Think it has security torx screws and i only have a regular torx head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Anyone here have experience ordering from computeruniverse.net in Germany? Thinking of making a big order in preparation for a new Ryzen system soon (will probably grab the CPU from wherever it's next available). Hoping for a well priced 6800 as well, but that's all up in the air too what with the potential supply issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Add beer and titties to that :D

Skerries wrote: »
    wfk9o6ntn5y51.png
    I thought oh maybe he'll do something cool with the force to help them survive a drastic hyperspace ju- WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!!!!!!

Photos don’t do this board justice.

Photos don’t do this board justice.

Taichi?

Mm. Yes. Fit for an engineer.

There’s some caps and a MOFSET in the corner that are at bit crooked rotation from north-south square. Other than that, enamored.

Yeah it’s the Taichi

Mm. Yes. Fit for an engineer.

There’s some caps and a MOFSET in the corner that are at bit crooked rotation from north-south square. Other than that, enamored.

Yeah it’s the Taichi
    Dont temp me...
    I did narrow my mobo list to two but damm, that looks sexy 😎

• Advertisement

Class.

These RGB stay on even when the system is “off.” Like regular status LEDs would. So rave.

My HD 5770 got to play a role in this setup as my strap on VGA because the EZ flash button was not helpful :/ bios flash is working fine with the same file and USB in UEFI though.

You can see what used to pass for bling in 2010, lol. One blue LED. Ya know what though my case came with blue LED so dang it if this wasn’t going to be the card. 2 of them in fact! Did limited good in Skyrim though. Instant buyers remorse.

...and that post filled the BIOS flash time. Nice.

Advertisement