Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Potato pic. This is better. Sorry on touch so can’t add to my last post.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Dont temp me...
    I did narrow my mobo list to two but damm, that looks sexy ��

It’s nice. Tipping point was the power and reset buttons lol I knew I would be bench tweaking this before it goes into use, I have weeks before I have a new GPU anyway and this dx10 card isn’t going to do me anything.

532395.PNG

Just knowing that I'm migrating to an NVME SSD that is *literally* more than one thousand times this transfer speed (synthetically anyway), this is a stellar exercise for anticipation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So the last component I need to get for my build is an SSD, for the time being I'm just going to have a single NVMe drive and was originally planning on getting a 500GB PCIe 4.0. After watching the below it seems there's bugger all difference between PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 in terms of game loading performance? Actually not much difference between any kind of SSD it seems. So for an extra £30 or so I think I'll opt for a 1TB PCIe 3.0 instead.

Is this Sabrent 1TB a decent brand? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LGF54XR/?coliid=IA62UOUS75TMV

I have the 1TB Gen 4 of that same stick.

Man perks of being a university student used to be better. The Dreamspark program used to be way better. They're so smart and 2020 with their licensing now. I can't even download the Consumer ISO for Windows without it realizing the key it gave me was for the education edition and then it yelling that my IT department hasn't specifically cleared me to install that. Bugger all. I haven't had to pay for Windows in years.

Overheal wrote: »
    I have the 1TB Gen 4 of that same stick.

Ok that's a freaky coincidence, as ForestFire mentioned in the Zen thread, the Sabrent 1TB sticks have dropped in price for the day. The 1TB PCIe 4.0 is now down to the price the PCIe 3.0 was (£127) and the 1TB PCIe 3.0 is now £93.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ok that's a freaky coincidence, as ForestFire mentioned in the Zen thread, the Sabrent 1TB sticks have dropped in price for the day. The 1TB PCIe 4.0 is now down to the price the PCIe 3.0 was (£127) and the 1TB PCIe 3.0 is now £93.

Theyve been running discounts lately alright, I got mine on sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E wrote: »
    Listening to your man from STH while working, got this craving to build an EPYC monster now. I have ZERO need for one but those CB points are calling to me.

Do QS/ES chips exist on the AMD side of the aisle?
    So many acronyms I don't quite follow because I'm not from the server side

:pac:

Disambiguation:
    Serve The Home (news/reviews site)
    EPYC=Ryzen with bigger balls
    Quality Sample/Engineering Sample

Ebay is full of Xeon Platinum ES, €2000 chips for €200. Not so much for team red.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Never ordering anything from Dell again.

After having to change my initial monitor order which was never going to be back in stock again as they had revised it slightly and the newer version had a slight different model number which they never contacted me about so I could have been waiting months. Luckily somebody here mentioned it so I ordered the new version which said it was ready to ship in a couple of days. Meant to ship yesterday, didn't ship, contacted customer support and they are now telling me it's in production with no ETA on when it will be ready to ship. Despite that they have taken the funds from my account so I couldn't even order some of the deals on the LG GL850's that have been happening.

Why the hell can't they just show a stock level on their site like every other company. No ETA given, customer support was useless. Some Indian on the line who can't get any of the info needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Good deals to be had today on Sabrent SSDs on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So I'm looking the pull the trigger on one of the AWD builds I've seen posted here (Ryzen 3600, GTX 1660 super) was just wondering if there is any real difference between the MSI B450M Pro VDH Max board vs the Asus B450M-A. No price difference on the build the default is the ASUS but I've used an MSI laptop for years and have had no complaints so I'm tempted to lean that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Pangea wrote: »
    Good deals to be had today on Sabrent SSDs on Amazon

Whats so good about the Sabrent SSDs, hearing alot of chatter about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Whats so good about the Sabrent SSDs, hearing alot of chatter about them?

It's mainly about the PCIE4 one. Sabrent Rocket 4.0.
    It's the cheapest of the available ones so far, and definitely faster than any of the previous generation PCIE3 SSDs.

Ordered the 1TB PCIe 4 version since I was planning on paying that price for the PCIe 3.0 one. Last piece of the puzzle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I think I'll order one as well. It not having a heatsink is surely not a problem in a well ventilated case, correct?

Gumbi wrote: »
    I think I'll order one as well. It not having a heatsink is surely not a problem in a well ventilated case, correct?

I'd check a few reviews to be sure - I thought I remember one video saying he wouldn't recommend using them without a heatsink. I plan to just use the one on the mobo itself.

You can buy it separate though if it turns out you need it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-2280-Rocket-Heatsink-SB-HTSK/dp/B07TN2RX2K

No you need a heat spreader or it will only do it’s spec speed for short bursts. Then it will thermal throttle.

Mine is getting the advertised speeds in crystal mark.

Phase 2 of the build came in to the clubhouse today (and so did some clubhouse snacky snacks)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'd check a few reviews to be sure - I thought I remember one video saying he wouldn't recommend using them without a heatsink. I plan to just use the one on the mobo itself.

You can buy it separate though if it turns out you need it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-2280-Rocket-Heatsink-SB-HTSK/dp/B07TN2RX2K

The one on the motherboard? I don't follow? Are there detachable ones on motherboards that can be used for ssds or something? (I know these modern boards have a lot more heatsink for vrms and such but have been out of the loop for a while on modern gear!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Most motherboards have heatsinks for the pciE m.2
    Mine had 2 m.2 slots and 1 interchangable heatsink.
    I had 2 m.2 drives so I had to order a heatsink with the SSD.

I wouldn't recommend ruining a pciE 4 drive in a pciE 4 slot without a heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Samsung are doing a promotion where if ye buy one of their 1TB SSDs from a couple of retailers they'll give you the new Assassin's Creed for free:

https://20203.samsungpromotions.claims/gaming-ac/en-GB/terms

I ordered an 870 QVO there from CCL for £100, was thinking of picking up a 1TB to replace 2 250gb drives and was going to buy the game anyways so works out well.

Phase 2 of the build came in to the clubhouse today (and so did some clubhouse snacky snacks)

Nice!

My pile is waiting on RAM + SSD to complete it.

• Advertisement

The one on the motherboard? I don't follow? Are there detachable ones on motherboards that can be used for ssds or something? (I know these modern boards have a lot more heatsink for vrms and such but have been out of the loop for a while on modern gear!)

Better illustration. Most motherboards are coming shipped with at least 1 spreader for 1 m.2

Better illustration. Most motherboards are coming shipped with at least 1 spreader for 1 m.2

Thanks. I just checked online and the gen 4 slot has a heatsink already included on this board (I'm grabbing the msi b550a pro). Thanks for letting me know! The case itself will be really well ventilated too (sticking 4 noctuas into a phanteks p500a so I have no worries on that front.

Thanks for your help!

Incidentally, has anyone any input on whether it's reasonable to buy from computeruniverse (apart from the expected caveats of course)? I used to buy from hardwareversand in the past but they went bust a few years ago, and Mindfactory don't ship internationally anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Thanks. I just checked online and the gen 4 slot has a heatsink already included on this board (I'm grabbing the msi b550a pro). Thanks for letting me know! The case itself will be really well ventilated too (sticking 4 noctuas into a phanteks p500a so I have no worries on that front.

Thanks for your help!

Incidentally, has anyone any input on whether it's reasonable to buy from computeruniverse (apart from the expected caveats of course)? I used to buy from hardwareversand in the past but they went bust a few years ago, and Mindfactory don't ship internationally anymore.

I buy lots of stuff from computeruniverse. Highly recommended actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What are people's experiences of Parcel Motel with stuff that is not from Amazon? Has something delivered to their Newtownabbey base there this morning at 8.19am and it's not been checked in yet. The Amazon stuff is checked in instantly but then there is probably some system for Amazon specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What are people's experiences of Parcel Motel with stuff that is not from Amazon? Has something delivered to their Newtownabbey base there this morning at 8.19am and it's not been checked in yet. The Amazon stuff is checked in instantly but then there is probably some system for Amazon specifically.

I always add the tracking number to the parcel diary yoke, tends to help speed things up. But normally no issues. But it's starting to come into crazy season now so wouldn't be surprised if things start to get delayed

I always add the tracking number to the parcel diary yoke, tends to help speed things up. But normally no issues. But it's starting to come into crazy season now so wouldn't be surprised if things start to get delayed

I made a whoopsie trying to be funny on my parcel diary entry. When asked what it was I said it was in a box, brown and boxy... hope it's taken in the way I meant it but that aside, the nosy buggers... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I had a non amazon parcel checked in up there yesterday morning, no sign of it in Dublin yet but I got the photo of it off them so I know they have it. Its that time of year I'd imagine they are swamped and stuff will get misplaced.

.G. wrote: »
    I had a non amazon parcel checked in up there yesterday morning, no sign of it in Dublin yet but I got the photo of it off them so I know they have it. Its that time of year I'd imagine they are swamped and stuff will get misplaced.

Yeah, you're right :( no photo for me, looking like its lost. Not been overly lucky with deliveries lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Anyone looking for a good budget build but having trouble finding a 3300x, there is a metric ****ton of R5 3500x's on Ali Express right now for +/- €110.

6 cores, 6 threads and decent speeds on Zen 2. Basically a 3600 with SMT turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Anyone looking for a good budget build but having trouble finding a 3300x, there is a metric ****ton of R5 3500x's on Ali Express right now for +/- €110.

6 cores, 6 threads and decent speeds on Zen 2. Basically a 3600 with SMT turned off.

Sorry i would not buy a button on ali express or wish or any of those sites...Friends of mine warned me off them but i did not listen..bought an samsung ssd of them last year..you would not believe what was inside the casing when i opened it up..a bleedin flat thumb drive..never again

Advertisement