Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I would agree, problem there is that it'll take months to arrive, the chance of problems or outright fraud are so much higher, and even if it arrives, you also face big chance of a customs bill + handling fee, which would tack on €30 probably.

Best off getting the 3100 or stumping up for the 3600. I'd rather than a Ryzen 2600 from Amazon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wasn't going to have buyers remorse until I saw my own build in my face:

https://newegg.io/3a99ae6

(Well, AMD GPU alike, and a CPU cooler alike from Amazon)

Original goal was $1200 to <1500

31a7v5.jpg

tenor.gif

Stick to your budget! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Overheal wrote: »
    I wasn't going to have buyers remorse until I saw my own build in my face:

https://newegg.io/3a99ae6

(Well, AMD GPU alike, and a CPU cooler alike from Amazon)

Original goal was to <1500

31a7v5.jpg

tenor.gif

Stick to your budget! :o
    Change RAM to 4x4gb? HardwareUnboxed just showed a new test showing nice increase of fps when using that config, when RAM works as Dual Rank one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

2 x 16 is better on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Looks like they brought the price of the sabrent rocket 4 back up. Was about to pull the trigger but appears to be £169 pounds now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Looks like they brought the price of the sabrent rocket 4 back up. Was about to pull the trigger but appears to be £169 pounds now

Yeah it was daily deal/24hr type sale. Sure it might come back down during Black Friday sales.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yeah it was daily deal/24hr type sale. Sure it might come back down during Black Friday sales.

Ya hoping so. I'm under no pressure anyway, will be building after Big Navi so don't even need it yet, just seemed like a very good offer. Only thing that made me hesitate was wether I would need a heatsink or not but from what I've gathered a motherboard heatsink will largely do

I saw the same reviews but

a) the RAM was already bought when I saw, and
    b) I've done the 4 channel thing, and it sucks when you want that memory doubleage near the autumn and winter of your PC's life, because you're eWasting your low capacity single rank DIMMs. And
    c) I wasn't going to go 32 GB rn because I would be murdered in my own home by your wan :pac: the RAM is already double over the median market price for 16 GB DDR4, and
    d) Ripjaws were easily the lowest-latency DIMMs at most clock speeds I shopped. And
    e) I went 4 Ghz RAM because that's the Zen 3 "sweet spot" for the Infinity Fabric, according to AMD documentation. And
    f) I'll still get that performance uplift when I double my RAM at a later date.

Which reminds me, I haven't clocked my infinity fabric..

Keep tracking it with the Honey app or something, there's been discounts all over the place and a Black Friday price cut is practically certain. It's a solid buy but for $200 at its MSRP I'd be eying around for a Samsung Evo to upsell myself to.

Keep tracking it with the Honey app or something, there's been discounts all over the place and a Black Friday price cut is practically certain. It's a solid buy but for $200 at its MSRP I'd be eying around for a Samsung Evo to upsell myself to.

Might chance honey thanks. I was eyeing the Samsung options from afar and the only thing I saw that beat the Sabrent properly was the 980 Pro which is a little expensive for my taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont use f@cking honey. Please.

/rant

Does honey cost you anything? No. Why? They charge the retailer? Do the retailers get that money from a money tree? Nope, fraid not. It goes into their costs and is passed on to you. Who then gets a small discount.

End result? A middleman in every transaction that serves no purpose other than to cost us all money. And honey gets to be a lovely bit of spyware to boot.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

This?

ED E wrote: »
    Dont use f@cking honey. Please.

/rant

Does honey cost you anything? No. Why? They charge the retailer? Do the retailers get that money from a money tree? Nope, fraid not. It goes into their costs and is passed on to you. Who then gets a small discount.

End result? A middleman in every transaction that serves no purpose other than to cost us all money. And honey gets to be a lovely bit of spyware to boot.

/rant

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/9/21059083/amazon-honey-browser-extension-security-risk-paypal-acquisition-competition

I mean everything is spyware, some are just upfront about it. It's saved me actual money in places already so.

To actually get my digital life to a point I could say it is 'private' would take far too much cajoling. I mean ****, I keep bank statements on OneDrive and more. The only one I'm every fundamentally concerned about having that is "The Man" and they already do so it's whatever, Honey wants to learn more about consumer behavior and trade me discounts? Sure, it's not a slippery slope to fascism :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its more the cost that bothers me, I've two little snoopers sitting on the mantelpiece (Alexa and Google Assistant)

yoshiktk wrote: »

No the PCIe 4.0 version, this chap: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TLYWMYW :)

Was down to £127 earlier.

No the PCIe 4.0 version, this chap: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TLYWMYW :)

Was down to £127 earlier.

Aye that's the bitch.

I got it for $160. If found at $127 I'd grab another!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Same! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Interesting new cooling tech from coolermaster.

200w power draw though, jaysus.

Yeah it's super not energy efficient, but if you have a workload that demands insane core speed thats who the target consumer is.

And they haven't evern de-lidded it or lapped the die! Still, only a 220W design did they say? This wouldn't be workable for Threadripper in this state and would require far more wattage even if you have a peltier plate specced to match. So it's catered to people who need extreme core speeds in poorly multithreaded workloads. Neat..

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Yeah it's super not energy efficient, but if you have a workload that demands insane core speed thats who the target consumer is.

The target consumer is head the balls like Fitz who just want the best things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That is one nice looking case.

TitianGerm wrote: »

That is one nice looking case.

532502.jpeg

sugarman wrote: »
    Class case, supports not only mATX but full ATX boards too ...but hard to justify the €250 price tag though when you could just get a Node 202 for €80.

Would be nicer if the stand could be mounted on the opposite side so the power cable and other I/O cables wouldn't be hanging down from the very top. Too pricey for what you get too imo.

/Edit: Just curious, do many folks on here have a Mini-ITX build and what case do you use? Seems to be mostly tower cases I see mentioned.

With the Radeon R9 390 still. Attle get me by for a while - maybe even wait for RDNA3? Hmm!

(Full res photos)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just curious is there a non wifi version of the X570 MSI Tomahawk?

Pangea wrote: »

Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I did a lot of research into buying an x570 board..and i searched everywhere for a non wifi x570 tomahawk..and didnt find any, and no trace of a non version having been in stock anywhere

I had an ethernet cable running across the house so I'm kinda glad to have it. And the Bluetooth, had a nice pair of Sony WHX for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I did a lot of research into buying an x570 board..and i searched everywhere for a non wifi x570 tomahawk..and didnt find any, and no trace of a non version having been in stock anywhere

Thanks , did you go for it in the end?
    Is there any disadvantage to getting a wifi board if you are not going to use it?

I had an ethernet cable running across the house so I'm kinda glad to have it. And the Bluetooth, had a nice pair of Sony WHX for that.

Oh, I have Sony WHX buds. That would be handy.
    Does many boards come with bluetooth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pangea wrote: »

There's the B550 Tomahawk but it also has (very slightly) inferior VRMs.

Advertisement