Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

BloodBath wrote: »
    Anybody order from the Amazon warehouse? What was your experience with it?

Was the item as good as new? Damaged or faulty?

Decided to take a chance on it. The headphones I ordered were on a 30% discount. Can return it within 30 days if there's a problem.

Cancelled the previous order. It's not in stock yet anyway.

DT770 250 Ohm's for only £69.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006NL5SM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got a Gtx 1070 early last year for €200ish from there. Was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

How are people ordering their parts these days? All from one place or a salad of retailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Decided to take a chance on it. The headphones I ordered were on a 30% discount. Can return it within 30 days if there's a problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006NL5SM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was moments away from ordering that but changed my mind as...I don't need it but damn you for posting it all the same.

Warehouse are normally solid for items 'like new' - the 30% off is a steal.

I opted to buy a modmic instead which will be here tomorrow(such service :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I got my Hyper X Cloud 2s off the warehouse on prime day, were like new in the packaging with all the accessories etc, not a single scratch on them.

It's usually just returns from within the 30 days, but they always tend to grade them fairly leniently so even the 'very good' condition stuff tends to be just that the box was open and stuff was tried for a day or so.

Saying that, i ordered a Logitech Powerplay mousemat a couple of years ago that was supposed to be Like New. Opened the box and it was dirty as feck with parts missing. Luckily Amazon returns are painless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

A few weeks ago I ordered a whole Gigabyte x570 motherboard off the Amazon Warehouse. Like new, box had been open and motherboard taken out of the static bag... and then put back in. Someone returned and it really was as new. Even the plastic film over the parts was still there.

Had something like 30% off as well.

Works flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

How are people ordering their parts these days? All from one place or a salad of retailers?

I exclusively use Amazon unless there is a massive price difference, they are so good for returns.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Amazon, scan or Komplett for me depending on who has stock. If I want something fast then scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

The GL850 is on sale on Amazon.de atm for €350, about €365 delivered. Good price but I was worried by the amount of people complaining about bad IPS glow / back light bleed with a lot of pictures showing it.

https://www.amazon.de/LG-27GL850-B-UltraGear-Monitor-schwarz/dp/B07T7K2V7L

I ordered one of these, it's reasonably better but costs a fair bit more and it's not in stock.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgfa/apd/210-axrq/monitors-monitor-accessories

Better again would be the MSI MAG274QRF-QD but again no shops with stock of it.

What's your estimated shipping date for the Dell lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

jebidiah wrote: »
    I recently switched to a dual monitor set up and my existing Display Port cable wasn't long enough to reach my 1440p 144Hz monitor. I ordered an Amazon Basics DP cable assuming it would be pretty decent, but I've been getting pretty weird flashes of static in boxes and lines on the monitor. Thought it might have been something to do with my overclock or something but I got this message in Radeon software today.

Guess its the cable?

I've upgraded my DP cable to a beefier and better reviewed one. The problem is definitely lessened, but I am still noticing a few pops of these static segments of my monitor.

Could the GPU need a reseat? Bad drivers? Different port?

• Advertisement

https://www.adverts.ie/gaming-controllers/oculus-rift/22252112

For the love of God uncoil the cables and give it a dust. The less said about the crusty stuff on the actual head set the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    What's your estimated shipping date for the Dell lad?

I'm very close to giving up on it. They are just stringing me along with BS emails now.

No expected date not that I'd believe them if they gave another 1 anyway after giving several BS dates.

Think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on a cheap LG GL850 instead.

How are Amazon for returns if I order from Germany? Worried I'll get 1 with terrible IPS glow and have to send it back. Will Amazon still collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Had a faulty Arctic Liquid Freezer from Amazon.de, they took it back no bother but I had to pay shipping and claim it back once they received it.

Raging I just missed out on an LG GL850 for only €250.

There's 30% off selected Amazon warehouse items this week if you can nab something in new condition with just box damage.

Managed to nab a GL850 for €256.50 delivered from Amazon.de warehouse with the further 30% discount.

Stoked. Hopefully it's not knackered. Supposedly only a small scratch on the bottom. I can live with that for the price.

Managed to get a GL850, DT770 headphones and a decent dual vesa mount all in for only €370. Good black Friday haul.

Managed to nab a GL850 for €256.50 delivered from Amazon.de warehouse with the further 30% discount.

Stoked. Hopefully it's not knackered. Supposedly only a small scratch on the bottom. I can live with that for the price.

Managed to get a GL850, DT770 headphones and a decent dual vesa mount all in for only €370. Good black Friday haul.

And it's not even Black Friday proper yet. Keep that wallet primed. :pac:

No, don't tempt me. I'm happy with my haul although I'm eyeballing microphones and dac/amps now. Gotta spend that saved money.

Will still end up costing less for all of it than I was going to spend on that Dell monitor. Thanks for not getting stock in Dell!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Has anyone bought an Oculus Rift for gaming? If so was it worth it?

I know there is a VR specific thread, but I am also looking to hear from the people who didn't like it, so I reckon they're in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

errlloyd wrote: »

I know there is a VR specific thread, but I am also looking to hear from the people who didn't like it, so I reckon they're in here!

I have it and find it great fun. Good range of games and movement tracking is decent.

They main downside is the cable coming from the head set can be cumbersome and newer wireless tech looks good.

Also, Oculus is owned by Facebook and going forward you will need to either link your existing Oculus account to your FB account or log in with your FB account.

Overall I really like mine, however with kids and work I dont get to use it as much as I would like.

errlloyd wrote: »

You can try mine out if you're not sweaty :pac: Dublin 5.

My advice is buy a secondhand CV1 - the novelty wears off very quickly and you'll only really know after that if you'll use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've a Rift which spends most of the time in its box in a wardrobe. I like the gaming aspect of it and I've enjoyed the games I've played, but the setup / tidy up is a pain. The way I'm playing games at the moment means I dip in and out for short periods. Having to spend time setting something up means I don't use it as often as I should.

Yep, echoing others, had a rift, it was excellent for a while, was a pain in the ass with sensors in the roof etc cables everywhere, so I sold that and got a Oculus Quest (1).

Quest is great craic, any visitors I had (back in the day when it was allowed - loved it and gottta great kick out of it) - right now it's not getting much use as I'm just more committed to some non-VR PC games.

It's definitely a nice addition, and the tech is genuinely class, just need to be in the mood for it!

(can also double as a home gym with some of the fitness apps, boxing, beat saber, pistol whip, superhot - your limbs will hate you)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I've a Rift which spends most of the time in its box in a wardrobe. I like the gaming aspect of it and I've enjoyed the games I've played, but the setup / tidy up is a pain. The way I'm playing games at the moment means I dip in and out for short periods. Having to spend time setting something up means I don't use it as often as I should.

This is where the Wireless Adapter for Vive makes a huge difference. For my son, playing VR games used to require a lot of setup and teardown time, just like you said. This is no longer an issue when no wires are needed.
    He keeps the headset on a stand on his desk, the wands on a charging stand, and batteries recharged from his PCs front USBs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Shlippery wrote: »
    Yep, echoing others, had a rift, it was excellent for a while, was a pain in the ass with sensors in the roof etc cables everywhere, so I sold that and got a Oculus Quest (1).

Quest is great craic, any visitors I had (back in the day when it was allowed - loved it and gottta great kick out of it) - right now it's not getting much use as I'm just more committed to some non-VR PC games.

It's definitely a nice addition, and the tech is genuinely class, just need to be in the mood for it!

(can also double as a home gym with some of the fitness apps, boxing, beat saber, pistol whip, superhot - your limbs will hate you)

Similar to yourself I have the first Oculus Quest - mostly great bit of kit but not getting much use these days. Even with replacement padding from VR Cover I found it uncomfortable to wear for lengthy periods and the games were too expensive. Might see if there are sales on closer to Christmas as I did want to pick up that Real VR Fishing game (zero interest in fishing but looks relaxing :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

After awhile the novelty of VR was lost on me as strapping a hot piece of electronic equipment to my head fairly regularly was not a fun time for me so i sold it.

Was great for awhile but just wasnt for me in the long run

Has anyone ordered anything from pcgamingrace.com before? Just wondering about customs charges, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Someone in China has gotten a crucial ballistix kit to overclock to just a hair over 7 GHz.

While that’s a great penis measure, the story changes when you notice the DIMMs are cooled with LN2 and achieve CL22. So the effective memory latency is about 6.3 nanoseconds. Whereas my air cooled kit, 4Ghz CL15, is 7.5 nanoseconds.

That seems like a whole lot of effort for not much real performance gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

No, don't tempt me. I'm happy with my haul although I'm eyeballing microphones and dac/amps now. Gotta spend that saved money.

Will still end up costing less for all of it than I was going to spend on that Dell monitor. Thanks for not getting stock in Dell!

B-Stock G6 is great value

https://en.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock

xtal191 wrote: »

I'm just amazed at how many of these b-stock's there are!! Why would anyone buy it at full price!

(I have one, it was perfect!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Anyone know where i can get 2*8gb DDR3 for a good price.

Currently have 2*4GB. Motherboard only has two slots.

Would a new single stick of 8GB and current 4GB run in dual channel if the speeds are the same.

Just getting the last legs out of my 1150 xeon 4 core 8 thread and GTX 970 so dont want to spend much on it.

Advertisement