Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anyone come accross a good phone stand/charger thats powered off USB?

Sick of the wires hanging round when charging the phone from front panel usb when im using the PC.

Ideally id be able to just put it beside the PC monitor so i can still see it for notifications.

Using an S7 just incase that matters. Most likely be sticking woth samsung for next phone too.

What about something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holife-Wireless-Charger-Galaxy-Standard-Black/dp/B01N0XZDMD/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1552256193&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=fast+wireless+charging+stand&dpPl=1&dpID=317vY%2BYZ0vL&ref=plSrch

Comes with a USB cable so can plug straight into PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cheers lads. Had a look at both of them. The first one seems to be unavailable for some reason.

The second one looks good but cant really make out how it will work connected to USB. People seem to be saying in the reviews it needs a plug,which i dont really want. Its doesnt need to fast charge,just charge at the usual slow USB rate. That would be enough for what i want.

I think i might just chance buying the second one. Have an order to put in on amazon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Cheers lads. Had a look at both of them. The first one seems to be unavailable for some reason.

The second one looks good but cant really make out how it will work connected to USB. People seem to be saying in the reviews it needs a plug,which i dont really want. Its doesnt need to fast charge,just charge at the usual slow USB rate. That would be enough for what i want.

I think i might just chance buying the second one. Have an order to put in on amazon anyway.

Here's an actual link to the one I posted, dunno why it linked to that item
    https://amzn.to/2HnN83Y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Anyone come accross a good phone stand/charger thats powered off USB?

Sick of the wires hanging round when charging the phone from front panel usb when im using the PC.

Ideally id be able to just put it beside the PC monitor so i can still see it for notifications.

Using an S7 just incase that matters. Most likely be sticking woth samsung for next phone too.

I love wireless charging. This one from Anker costs half the one sold by Samsung, but both of them will require a 5V/2A wall charger, USB socket from PC does not provide sufficient power for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Got myself a watt meter to plug pc into. Under load whole system is taking around 350W, that's with an R5 overclocked and my Vega 56 under volted but hitting 1550MHz.

Psu is 520W, 80% Bronze, so anything under 416W should be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

jebidiah wrote: »
    Got myself a watt meter to plug pc into. Under load whole system is taking around 350W, that's with an R5 overclocked and my Vega 56 under volted but hitting 1550MHz.

Psu is 520W, 80% Bronze, so anything under 416W should be fine?
    I would have presumed it would be the other way and anything under 650 to the wall would be fine. The calculation of capability is the load the psu can support, not what it outputs at the wall. (I may be wrong though) 520watts supports plus the 20% efficiency loss which is why I got 650.

deceit wrote: »
    I would have presumed it would be the other way and anything under 650 to the wall would be fine. The calculation of capability is the load the psu can support, not what it outputs at the wall. (I may be wrong though) 520watts supports plus the 20% efficiency loss which is why I got 650.

Having done a bit of research came up with this https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-does-psu-efficiency-affect-me-and-do-i-really-need-an-80-plus-gold-power-supply.129456/

The 80 Plus Bronze rating means that the PSU is rated for at least 82% efficiency at 20% load, 85% at 50% load, and 82% at 100% load.

So a 500W PSU can provide 500W to the components. But the efficiency means the real power draw will be more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

jebidiah wrote: »
    Having done a bit of research came up with this https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-does-psu-efficiency-affect-me-and-do-i-really-need-an-80-plus-gold-power-supply.129456/

The 80 Plus Bronze rating means that the PSU is rated for at least 82% efficiency at 20% load, 85% at 50% load, and 82% at 100% load.

So a 500W PSU can provide 500W to the components. But the efficiency means the real power draw will be more than that.

Yes, PSUs are rated for the power they supply (not what they consume from wall). But you need to allow some margin for spikes over rated draw from your gpu and cpu (especially AMD gpus).

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys what would you recommend for a media player that's user friendly and has apps such as Netflix and RTE player on it.

Something that has a remote and just clicks into the netflix app to start it etc

I'm looking for something that's easy to use for people who arent good with gadgets

maybe something like an android box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are Roku still a thing? Sounds kinda like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think Roku are still around. Super easy to use. The remote is very friendly for technophobes. Has dedicated buttons for netflix and some others. Looks like you can pick one up in currys. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/304_3021_30021_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

Those NowTV sticks are getting a massive push since it is part of Sky. No idea what they are like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys what would you recommend for a media player that's user friendly and has apps such as Netflix and RTE player on it.

Something that has a remote and just clicks into the netflix app to start it etc

I'm looking for something that's easy to use for people who arent good with gadgets

maybe something like an android box?

How about an Amazon Fire Stick?

I use one for Netflix and it's great. I'm not sure if it has RTE Player though.

If you install Mobdro and TeaTV (or similar) you should have all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GTX 1660 6Gb just kinda made the RX 580/590 pointless :|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    GTX 1660 6Gb just kinda made the RX 580/590 pointless :|

I cant seem to find pricing for the 1660 on OCUK or amazon, what type of price is it coming in at?
    (DERP. Dont mind me)

From watching a couple of benchmark videos, it seems that the 1660 Ti is obviously coming in with higher results, but is the price difference worth it ?

(Bare in mind pairing with 2600/X)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I cant seem to find pricing for the 1660 on OCUK or amazon, what type of price is it coming in at?
    (DERP. Dont mind me)

From watching a couple of benchmark videos, it seems that the 1660 Ti is obviously coming in with higher results, but is the price difference worth it ?

(Bare in mind pairing with 2600/X)

€299 direct from EVGA

https://eu.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+16+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1660+Ti

There is ONE saving grace to the RX 570/580 and that's the game bundle - DMC5 is a cracker & Resi2HD is damn solid, too. It must be costing AMD an arm and a leg, but for us it's €100+ saved.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There is ONE saving grace to the RX 570/580 and that's the game bundle - DMC5 is a cracker & Resi2HD is damn solid, too. It must be costing AMD an arm and a leg, but for us it's €100+ saved.

Have to say I'm really enjoying resident evil. It's still managing to spook the ****e out of me at times which is great. DMC5... I never played any of the others, and the intro is a bit long winded but it seems like a decent enough hack and slash. I'm sure combos make it more satisfying once I get good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah the RX590 is down to 199 pounds now on OCUK, with the 3 free games it's still a great bargain.

Of note though, that's the Asrock Phantom X Gaming which isn't great.
    I'd definitely suggest the extra couple quid for the Red Devil or, better, the Nitro+ models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hardly makes the 580 irrelevant either. 580's are as little as €195 from Amazon, the cheapest 1660 is €280.

That's nearly 50% more without the great free games you get with the 580 for only around 10% extra performance.

I've seen articles calling it a 580 killer as well but it doesn't add up.

There is one consideration I actually didn't calculate - power usage.

The GTX 1660 cards might actually use €100/year less electricity..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jesus. Someone wants 200 for a QX9650 + 8GB DDR2 ram, and claims:
    Easily able to handle 1440p gaming @ 120hz with a good gfx card (980ti etc.).

Be lucky to get 20fps with that in most modern games.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Anyone successfully ordered 570/580/590 from UK with free games ?
    I see in T&C this: Residency and additional limitations apply. So I wonder if Irish bound purchase still qualifies for free game promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

'Magic wrote:
    =);109715362']Anyone successfully ordered 570/580/590 from UK with free games ?
    I see in T&C this: Residency and additional limitations apply. So I wonder if Irish bound purchase still qualifies for free game promo.
    I purchased from AWD-IT.co.uk and got the free games.

https://techtablets.com/2019/02/powerful-400-six-core-intel-core-i7-8750h-mini-pc-review/
    https://techtablets.com/2019/03/core-i9-8950hk-mini-pc-review/

Seems there's a NUC-sized mini-PC available on AliExpress with i7-8750H / i9-8950HK for damn cheap, considering the performance beats any NUC available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

I purchased from AWD-IT.co.uk and got the free games.

Thanks. They seem to have best deal on RX570 8GB at the moment.

... so I bought a used GTX 1080.

Hopefully there's no problems with it.
    And AMD fans forgive me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I just bought a system off them with that card. What are the 2 free games?

• Advertisement

I just bought a system off them with that card. What are the 2 free games?
    RX 570/580

Choice of Devil May Cry 5 / Resident Evil 2 HD / The Division 2 (2 out of 3)

RX 590/Vega 56/Vega 64
    All 3.

Advertisement