Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

or all 3 if you buy a Vega

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I thought it was a bit interesting. I know it's not PC related but any how. Google's all digital streaming service supposedly 4K 60Hz HDR. Hasn't a hope of working on my really poor connection.

https://www.gamebyte.com/google-has-finally-revealed-its-gaming-platform-and-its-called-stadia/?fbclid=IwAR2RhFbiAs70BQwrv1WKUUMJOW5iBD_scb7YZCZwUk1mam25lFmOY-89nyM

Google have partnered with AMD for this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Can't see these game streaming services taking off. They have been around quite a while now and still have got no traction.

They still haven't solved the latency or compression issues either and they are usually overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Skerries wrote: »

Really, didn't know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Skerries wrote: »

According to Digital Foundry it's not an AMD CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,925 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think it's the data centres themselves that will be using the AMD hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    Can't see these game streaming services taking off. They have been around quite a while now and still have got no traction.

They still haven't solved the latency or compression issues either and they are usually overpriced.

Google, AWS and Microsoft are the only ones that can make it work in Western countries. Most people are circa 5-15 ms from one of their datacenters with direct peering to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Google, AWS and Microsoft are the only ones that can make it work in Western countries. Most people are circa 5-15 ms from one of their datacenters with direct peering to them.

Yea, it sounds like we're spoiled in Ireland with high speed internet! I feel we're in the minority compared to US/Canada/Australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

All of this talk of free games with GPUs and I'm reminded I only got Quake Champions with my order. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    ... so I bought a used GTX 1080.

Hopefully there's no problems with it.
    And AMD fans forgive me.

1080 is a great choice.

I'm currently in the market for new gpu and I'm not going to buy rx570. I'm tempted cause its a good deal with two games for a brand new card - I'd use it in old pc that my kid will get.
    Myself I cannot decide which one I want for the new build. Defo not amd card because I don't like their very high power draw. So my choice is limited to 1660ti, 2060 and 2070. I might wait out till July and see what's the new navi is about.

Oh and btw what's the story with shopping for pc parts in UK after brexit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well everything else is gone streaming so it seems likely and if anyone can make it work it's those guys.

There are still a lot of issues with it though. Most of the world including the west do not have good internet connections. It massively increases input lag. The compression artefacts are not a big deal I guess but we've only seen it run at 4k 30fps. What happens with higher frame rates. What if you want 144/2k?

People like owning their own hardware and game library. It's going to take time to shift those attitudes. Anyone remotely competitive will want 2k/144 as well. It's just the best gaming experience. 4k/30 might be fine for some single player games but it's total horse**** for multi. Even 4k/60 is bad.

Also the places where good net speeds are available tend to be able to afford consoles and PC's or good mobile devices. Who really wants to help google or the rest get even bigger while you own nothing and they data mine everything you do and say. No thanks. I hope it flops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For me it'd be hard to pony up for a 2nd hand GTX1080 when you can now get Vega for £249 with 3 top games, or GTX1070 for the same price on its own. I know the 1080 is a bit faster but considering it's 2nd hand and likely has no warranty.

Looking at 2nd hand prices on Adverts and Ebay €400+ as a starting point seems to be the norm. A new RTX2070 isn't a whole lot more than that either.

Really great value in mid-range right now though. The RX590 for £199 with 3 free games is a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

I'm not even looking at second hand cards any more. So many good deals out there it's not worth the hassle to deal with sellers who are looking for a full price after warranty. Too many ex mining cards out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Problem is that Vega 56, RTX 2060 & GTX 1070 Ti are not upgrades from my GTX 980 Ti.

That only leaves Vega 64, GTX 1080 & RTX 2070.
    Vega 64 is outperformed in most titles, and RTX 2070 is expensive as hell.

So when I saw a GTX 1080 for £300 I went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Riot Games might too if they really wanted. They've been placing edges to their net in remote POPs to improve latency in League so a lot of the groundwork is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Having massive problems with Overwatch at the moment, hard crashing and BSOD every few games.
    Getting irql not less or equal, attempted to write to read only memory BSOD messages.
    Overwatch giving me display driver errors and graphics rendering device lost messages.

When I reboot the game after a crash, it doesn't display in game graphics correctly (character selection portraits etc missing) and then almost always crashes unless I restart the system fully first. Any one who plays competitive knows that you get kicked and penalized heavily for abandoning games.

I played the whole one of the Witcher 3's expansions this week, maxed out at 1080p and no problems, pushing system to the full for a good few hours on end and nothing.

I know KOKiki mentioned OW having issues with overclocked cards?

Other changes to system apart from Vega 56 is new RAM, could there be an issued there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's something memory related. So it could be the RAM or simply could be the game trying to access files that have somehow become corrupt or have special privileges attached. Have you tried confirming the install?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RossieMan wrote: »
    It's something memory related. So it could be the RAM or simply could be the game trying to access files that have somehow become corrupt or have special privileges attached. Have you tried confirming the install?

How have you come to that diagnosis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

jebidiah wrote: »
    Having massive problems with Overwatch at the moment, hard crashing and BSOD every few games.
    Getting irql not less or equal, attempted to write to read only memory BSOD messages.
    Overwatch giving me display driver errors and graphics rendering device lost messages.

When I reboot the game after a crash, it doesn't display in game graphics correctly (character selection portraits etc missing) and then almost always crashes unless I restart the system fully first. Any one who plays competitive knows that you get kicked and penalized heavily for abandoning games.

Are Overwatch & Witcher on the same disk?
    Could be a dying/corrupted drive for Overwatch.
    https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/fix-attempted-write-to-readonly-memory-bsod-in-windows-10.html#part2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

ED E wrote:
    How have you come to that diagnosis?

Yea I might have jumped the gun a bit.
    Very hard to determine exactly from the limited information given. Had a similar issue, but it wasn't with overwatch and it turned out to be my overclock on my RAM being slightly unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

How can I check my memory to see if this is the case?

Both games are on the same disk, all my games are on an 860 EVO SSD.

Any other info I can provide?

Also, Amazon doing a sale on EVGA Psu's at the moment (650W EVGA G+ PSU), is this a decent unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First, try changing the memory frequency, if it's 3000mhz, try 2400mhz, etc.

Also try a single stick at a time, it may be one stick is faulty/unstable at higher speeds.

Impossible to say but sounds like either a HDD or RAM problem.

Considering a 32" or an Ultrawide upgrade. Any thoughts that will sway me to either one other than how far i will sit away from the monitor. My desk is quite deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Considering a 32" or an Ultrawide upgrade. Any thoughts that will sway me to either one other than how far i will sit away from the monitor. My desk is quite deep.

I sit a little over arm length away from my 32" which feels like the perfect distance. The only downside to a 32" 1440p monitor is the pixel count is the same as a 1080p monitor so a tad less quality compared to a 27" 1440p but everything else is a major pro as games, video content and browsing is just awesome at that size.

What put me off going the ultrawide route was a fair amount of games just don't support that screen size natively and I read a lot of feedback about them being harder to drive from a GPU side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Inviere

So got €230 for:

Asus Z170i
    i5 6600k
    16GB 2400

and threw a further €200 onto it for the below replacements

IMG-20190325-160651.jpg

It was either that or drop even more coin on a used 6700k, so I figured the jump to Ryzen offered much better value. Just waiting on an AM4 bracket now from NZXT, and I can start putting it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Nollog

How in the hell do you install a wraith spire heatsink?

This is the worst pile of * I've ever had to deal with. The screws aren't moving no matter how much or how little pressure I apply to them, what in the hell.

Edit: my backplate is attached to a mount on the motherboard, meaning it fell off the back. I only noticed when I jossled the case and heard some heavy movement and opened the back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Linus did a good video on Intel vs AMD on budget, the premium is a lot less than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Nollog

Guys

It's so much easier with a backplate.
    1 minute job.

I've never had a backplate that wasn't attached to a motherboard before lol

Advertisement