Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Homelander wrote: »
    I mean let's be real here, it's not just "high-end" cards. People are now paying way, way over the odds for all types of cards, right down to the low-end mainstream.

Hardly the point I was making - I was talking about higher-end cards (>5700xt). I've only really been looking at the prices of higher-end cards and the 5700xt myself to be honest. I was responding to Cherryghost of Nazareth who's been giving alms to the poor / selling a gpu to his friend at less than market rates :pac:.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Shlippery wrote: »
    Quick one for ye, I've an 8600k & ASUS Prime Z370-A sitting idle in a box sine I switched to 5800x, reckon there's much resale value there?

Torn whether to sell em off or to repurpose it for something else...

CPU stock seems to be a lot better than it was a few months ago. You can get the 3600 and Intel processors at reasonable prices. Ryzen 5000 series seems to still be tight on stock but your 8600 wouldn't be competing with those buyers I would imagine. So, we aren't in the same situation with GPUs where any old junk is commanding crazy money. Not sure what it is worth mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

CPU stock seems to be a lot better than it was a few months ago. You can get the 3600 and Intel processors at reasonable prices. Ryzen 5000 series seems to still be tight on stock but your 8600 wouldn't be competing with those buyers I would imagine. So, we aren't in the same situation with GPUs where any old junk is commanding crazy money. Not sure what it is worth mind.

True, not looking to take advantage either and make a profit!! Moreso whether it's worth rehoming to a new builder or finding some way to repurpose it at home!

I already have QNAP NAS, so can't go down that route.. other option is scrape together few spare parts and sell it to a pal as a pre-built to wean them off their PS4 but it'll still circle back to needing a GPU..! The cycle continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In true Adverts style, stick up both at 150% of rrp and wait 1-2 months until some sucker buys them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In true Adverts style, stick up both at 150% of rrp and wait 1-2 months until some sucker buys them.

Or lob it in to a cheap case with a nVidia GT710 you found in a skip, call it a gaming PC and set the price at €1,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I saw a "Gaming PC" for sale for something like €900, the specs had zero details other than vague generics and the lad had kindly valuated them individually to show the value of the PC.

"Six core processor (Value new 250)
    "4GB graphics (value new 150)

etc

Didn't work out what the graphics card was but a look at the pictures revealed it was a beastly Phenom X6.

I doubt you'd even get a euro per core these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,173 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys anyone know where I can get an Official Ps4 controller? (they seem to be very hard to find in stock)

I want to use it with my PC (mainly for rocket league)

I'm finding my wrist really get cramps on the Xbox wireless controller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys anyone know where I can get an Official Ps4 controller? (they seem to be very hard to find in stock)

I want to use it with my PC (mainly for rocket league)

I'm finding my wrist really get cramps on the Xbox wireless controller

Only one colour in stock in Smyths for home delivery is
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/playstation-4/playstation-4-accessories/playstation-dualshock-4-controller-green-camouflage/p/157455

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Jacovs wrote: »

An invisible controller will be a pain to deal with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dmigsy wrote: »
    An invisible controller will be a pain to deal with though.

I don't see any controller in the pictures. Just a bunch of white slides.

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I Have all my PC parts waiting to be built the last month , i have been lazy. I must get cracking this week.
    Anyways should I update Bios on x570 tomahawk before use with a 3700x or does it matter? Is it good practice to update?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You can update it anytime since it is a 3700X if it was a 5800X then you would need a newer bios for it to work. It's good practice to be on the newest bios but I'm not sure what they change and the newest bios may just be changing things for the 5000 series chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-56215787

Not sure how accurate article is, but they finally touching the topic of Bitcoin being waste of energy.

Using so much energy for calculations to mine bitcoin, and in the end data is useless.

Now, I am far from being a "Green" person, but clearly it is an issue already and will be even bigger issue later.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BTCs green credentials, or lack thereof, wont be its downfall. TPS will be. Even before it ballooned.
    Bitcoin processes 4.6 transactions per second. Visa does around 1,700 transactions per second on average

This might not be the best place for it but here goes :

Got a PC off a fellow Boardsie a couple years ago for free. Want to give it back to a Boardsie for free now. If not will throw it on Adverts in a week.
    Its nothing special at all, but was fully working tonight up to the point where I wiped and removed the HDD. I received it without HDD so removed my own again.

Specs:
    Case - Antec, black, not sure what model but its big.
    PSU - Corsair 400W
    Motherboard - Asus P6T SE
    CPU - i7 950
    RAM - 2x4Gb 1333MHz Corsair + 1x8Gb 1600MHz. Although the system showed 3 slots occupied, it only showed 8Gb being used at 1066MHz
    GPU - XFX HD5750 1Gb
    3 x case fans (top, back, side)
    Power cable included, its a 2 pin but has a 3 pin adapter.
    No HDD

First to reply here please follow up with a PM to arrange collection. Im in Coolock, North Dublin, so keep in mind when requesting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Jacovs wrote: »
    This might not be the best place for it but here goes :

Got a PC off a fellow Boardsie a couple years ago for free. Want to give it back to a Boardsie for free now. If not will throw it on Adverts in a week.
    Its nothing special at all, but was fully working tonight up to the point where I wiped and removed the HDD. I received it without HDD so removed my own again.

Specs:
    Case - Antec, black, not sure what model but its big.
    PSU - Corsair 400W
    Motherboard - Asus P6T SE
    CPU - i7 950
    RAM - 2x4Gb 1333MHz Corsair + 1x8Gb 1600MHz. Although the system showed 3 slots occupied, it only showed 8Gb being used at 1066MHz
    GPU - XFX HD5750 1Gb
    3 x case fans (top, back, side)
    Power cable included, its a 2 pin but has a 3 pin adapter.
    No HDD

First to reply here please follow up with a PM to arrange collection. Im in Coolock, North Dublin, so keep in mind when requesting it.

Im in coolock, is it still available? My cousin would be very happy with it.

buzzerxx wrote: »

Yup you are the first to ask so welcome to it. Wont be able to arrange collection for it today but send me a PM and we can arrange for tomorrow or another day this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

buzzerxx wrote: »

Your friend should upgrade the CPU to a Xeon X5660 or X5675. They are only about €15 and they are 6 core 12 thread CPU's and then overclock it to 4.2GHz. They are very easy to OC. I had one for years until I upgraded to a Ryzen CPU. Just to add they perform as good as the flag ship of the x58 which was the i7 990X.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I picked up a 27" Odyssey G5 recently and I'm pretty underwhelmed by it. Refresh rate is great but the colour on it is dreadful (I think I was a bit hopeful thinking HDR10 would look good on VA).

I think I'll return it/sell it on and pick up an IPS panel - is there any good options around the 300/400 price mark I should be looking at or will I need to drop another couple hundred quid to get something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I picked up a 27" Odyssey G5 recently and I'm pretty underwhelmed by it. Refresh rate is great but the colour on it is dreadful (I think I was a bit hopeful thinking HDR10 would look good on VA).

I think I'll return it/sell it on and pick up an IPS panel - is there any good options around the 300/400 price mark I should be looking at or will I need to drop another couple hundred quid to get something decent.

I'm almost certain I warned ye :pac:
    The G5 is bottom of the rung for Samsung panels.

You could chance your arm asking a sales rep on Dell if they can reduce the price of the Alienware AW2720HFA closer to 400 (it's 1080p 240Hz though)

Most HDR400 monitors should be decent though; just look up a few reviews.
    Acer Nitro XV2 XV272Sbmiiprx on specs alone would be a good shout, it has a quantum-dot display (DisplayNinja review)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How much did you pay for the G5? I nearly bought the 32" from Amazon Spain last week for €280.

Don't bother with the G5. Get the G7.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't bother with the G5. Get the G7.

I have two LG 27GL83A. Was just going to put the Samsung in the bedroom instead of a small TV.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm almost certain I warned ye :pac:
    The G5 is bottom of the rung for Samsung panels.

You could chance your arm asking a sales rep on Dell if they can reduce the price of the Alienware AW2720HFA closer to 400 (it's 1080p 240Hz though)

Most HDR400 monitors should be decent though; just look up a few reviews.
    Acer Nitro XV2 XV272Sbmiiprx on specs alone would be a good shout, it has a quantum-dot display (DisplayNinja review)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to stick with 1440p as I use it as a second screen for work atm so I'll see if I can pickup that Acer for a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

LG GL850 or the GL83A or the Dell S2721DGFA. All 3 use the same panel. The dell is the best of the bunch with better contrast and a higher refresh rate than the other 2.

I have the GL850. It's a great monitor. All 3 can be got for close to €400 or less in sales. I'd contact Dell customer support and see if they will reduce the price down a bit. You can grab either of the other 2 from Amazon Germany atm for around €450 delivered. Sometimes on sale for as low as €350.

Just a note, the GL850 needed a decent bit of calibration to make it look great. Out of the box settings were poor and it might be the same for your G5.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://archive.is/lkO86
    The i7-11700K is the second fastest CPU in Intel’s Rocket Lake-S lineup. It was scheduled for release on March 30th 2021 but some retailers released them a month early. Rocket Lake brings increased native memory speeds (DDR4-3200 up from DDR4-2933), higher IPC (early samples indicate a 19% IPC gain) and 50% stronger integrated graphics using Intel’s new Xe architecture. There are also several 500 series chipset improvements including: 20 PCIe4 CPU lanes and USB 3.2 Gen 2x2. Rocket Lake’s 19% IPC uplift translates to around a 10% faster Effective Speed than both Comet Lake (Intel's 10th Gen) and AMD’s 5000 series. Despite Intel’s performance lead, AMD will likely continue to outsell Intel thanks to AMD's marketing which has progressively improved since the initial launch of Ryzen in 2017. Given Intel's mammoth R&D operation, it's bewildering that their marketing remains so decidedly neglected. Little effort is made to counter widespread disinformation such as: “it uses too much electricity”, or the classic: “it needs more cores”. Intel’s marketing samples are often distributed to reviewers that are clearly better incentivized to bury Intel's products rather than review them. They use a mind-numbing list of “scientific” and rendering benchmarks to highlight obscure and irrelevant performance characteristics. The games, specific scenes, detailed software/hardware settings and choices of competing hardware are cherry picked, undisclosed and inconsistent from one review to the next. At every release, AMD’s marketers circle overhead coordinating narratives to ensure that a feast of blue blubber ensues. Nonetheless, towards the end of 2021, Intel’s Alder Lake (Golden Cove) is due to offer an additional 20-30% performance increase. At that time, with a net 30-40% performance lead, Intel will likely regain market share, despite their impotent marketing.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its at the point now where the owners of the site have to be complete narcissists who refuse to admit they were ever wrong. At first I thought it was a Intel marketing run site, at this point its gone beyond anything any marketing department would ever endorse.

BloodBath wrote: »
    LG GL850 or the GL83A or the Dell S2721DGFA. All 3 use the same panel. The dell is the best of the bunch with better contrast and a higher refresh rate than the other 2.

I have the GL850. It's a great monitor. All 3 can be got for close to €400 or less in sales. I'd contact Dell customer support and see if they will reduce the price down a bit. You can grab either of the other 2 from Amazon Germany atm for around €450 delivered. Sometimes on sale for as low as €350.

Just a note, the GL850 needed a decent bit of calibration to make it look great. Out of the box settings were poor and it might be the same for your G5.

Thanks for the suggestions, I went for the Dell in the end - I've always been happy with the Dell monitors I use for work. I got it for €420 direct with a 10% discount code I got from Dell Advantage for Employees (didn't know this was a thing until I searched for it).

I'll hold onto the Samsung until I get delivery notification and then I'll sell it on or return it - depending on which is easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just to put a spanner in the works. I didn't link this 1 as it's never in stock but Amazon.de have some atm.

It's better than all 3 of the others but costs a decent bit more. It uses a different IPS panel with around 25% better colour range and 25% better contrast than the others while keeping 165hz and around 4ms response time of the Dell. It can also do backlight strobing for clearer images in motion. The others can't do that. No idea how good that is for gaming as it's limited to 120hz in that mode but it's an option at least.

The MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD. Around 25% more in price to get that 25% better colour range and contrast + back light strobing option.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08PKHV1R9?tag=pcp05-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Review comparing it to the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Bah...my corsair k70 is falling apart. Had it 4/5 years now and all the keycaps are breaking. I've lost L, right ctrl, H and the letter beside the windows key in quick succession. Have been selectively replacing them with lesser used keys.
    EVenfan.png

No real question, just ranting :pac:

Advertisement