Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

As for the RAM, which would you recommend?
    The 3600MHz you have in your updated config is the right speed, again they don't say the latency so it could be anywhere from CL16 (great) to CL20 (bad) but that's usually the way it is with pre-built machines. I don't see CL20 actually available anywhere right now so hopefully they didn't stockpile it!

On the motherboard choice I'd probably go with MidlanderMan's suggestion and just stick in the Intel wifi card if you want wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Intel have a show on the 23rd of this month,rumors they might announce the HPG graphics line up.

If they get them out this year and the madness in the GPU market continues id imagine they could have a very successful launch as in if their available people would be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

EoinHef wrote: »
    Intel have a show on the 23rd of this month,rumors they might announce the HPG graphics line up.

If they get them out this year and the madness in the GPU market continues id imagine they could have a very successful launch as in if their available people would be tempted.

Will they run into the same component problems that everyone else is facing.

Im actually distraught that we've still got insane GPU prices. Its making it impossible to build anything within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Vicxas wrote: »
    Will they run into the same component problems that everyone else is facing.

Im actually distraught that we've still got insane GPU prices. Its making it impossible to build anything within reason

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Intel's GPUs will be built on TSMC 7nm..... doesn't exactly bode well but sure anything is better than nothing I spose right now

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I was building a PC this morning in a brand new gamemax f15 case..everything was done including watercooling and cable routing looked great..
    I went to put the glass side panel back on...and it all happened in slow motion..it slipped through my fingers and shattered into a 1000 pieces.
    Moral of the story is..treat those glass side panels like babies

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I was building a PC this morning in a brand new gamemax f15 case..everything was done including watercooling and cable routing looked great..
    I went to put the glass side panel back on...and it all happened in slow motion..it slipped through my fingers and shattered into a 1000 pieces.
    Moral of the story is..treat those glass side panels like babies

RIP. You able to just buy replacement side panel or are you gonna have to buy a new case again?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    RIP. You able to just buy replacement side panel or are you gonna have to buy a new case again?

I have been onto supplier by email..they will try and source spare door..but from what i can see online..gamemax dont do spare tinted glass case doors...Its looking like having to shell out for a new case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lesson of the story:

Always lay the the case on its back before putting TG oon

You might be able to make one yourself from 3-5mm acrylic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I have been onto supplier by email..they will try and source spare door..but from what i can see online..gamemax dont do spare tinted glass case doors...Its looking like having to shell out for a new case.

Ouch. They have a huge range of cases though.

I'd imagine many of them use some of the same parts. Maybe there's a cheaper version with the same side panel.

Thinking of changing the case soon. Eyeing up the Meshify 2 Compact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thinking of changing the case soon. Eyeing up the Meshify 2 Compact.

GamersNexus didn't have much negative to say about it which says a lot. Looks like a decent bet for good enough airflow and it's not the ugliest thing in the world either.

I used have a Meshify C a few years ago and really liked it but it was just a bit too small. The 2 is a bit bigger which would suit. Also going to go back to a Black case after a few white one's.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

BloodBath wrote: »
    Ouch. They have a huge range of cases though.

I'd imagine many of them use some of the same parts. Maybe there's a cheaper version with the same side panel.

the F15 is the same case as the Lian Li Lancool 215, and a few other popular cases. The glass panel should be the same for all of them?

No idea, if you ordered it from Amazon I wouldn't feel too bad about sending it back and saying it was broken when you got it either.

Bezos can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

375ehxkpa5061.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've given up on partsalerts. Now I just check the price of bitcoin. It's been plateauing for the last while and I'm hoping my willpower sends it crashing any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've given up on partsalerts. Now I just check the price of bitcoin. It's been plateauing for the last while and I'm hoping my willpower sends it crashing any day now.

Ether has had some steady rises last few days though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I believe it will crash and stabilise eventually, the value at the moment is way over inflated. Usually follows a plateau, but how long that plateau lasts or even if there's going to be another rise again is another worry.

At least my new GPU bottlenecked PC boots faster than my monitor takes to turn and is super responsive. The 5800X is also making mince meat of tough sega saturn emulation so not like I'm not seeing any benefits until I get a GPU.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Things are getting so bad im considering buying an Alienware :(

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Any one have spare thermal paste? Got myself a small upgrade, was sure that Ive some spare. Unfortunately dont have, would need to wait till next week for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Any one have spare thermal paste? Got myself a small upgrade, was sure that Ive some spare. Unfortunately dont have, would need to wait till next week for delivery.

Where are you based? Might help

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Where are you based? Might help

Greystones. Wouldn't mind paying for postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Long time users may remember me mentioning more than once that high refresh gaming is not all it's cracked up to be. I had a 144Hz 1440p monitor a fair few years ago and came to that conclusion. It was also a Freesync monitor and yes I noticed a difference with Freesync but not high refresh gaming. Today I have a 120Hz 4k Tv and a 6900 XT that is well capable but again I don't see what it's all cracked up to be. But I also game on consoles so who knows if my eyes are just use to console gaming.

Anyone else notice the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Personally, definitely notice a difference.

What type of games do you play?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

GTA V, Watch Dogs 2 bit of Hitman(first reboot). I tried a bit of The Witcher 3 just to see what it played like. I honestly don't game too much even though I have a Series X and a 6900 XT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think really it comes into play with competitive shooters like COD, Apex, Overwatch, etc.

Homelander wrote: »
    I think really it comes into play with competitive shooters like COD, Apex, Overwatch, etc.

Agreed. CSGO feels weird out on 60fps. Although I found freesync to be a very noticeable difference as well coming from what was a ****e monitor.

• Advertisement

Long time users may remember me mentioning more than once that high refresh gaming is not all it's cracked up to be. I had a 144Hz 1440p monitor a fair few years ago and came to that conclusion. It was also a Freesync monitor and yes I noticed a difference with Freesync but not high refresh gaming. Today I have a 120Hz 4k Tv and a 6900 XT that is well capable but again I don't see what it's all cracked up to be. But I also game on consoles so who knows if my eyes are just use to console gaming.

You have a 60hz brain :D

Jokes aside it's fairly subjective. I definitely notice it panning and tracking in fps games. It just looks and feels a lot smoother. Playing around 60-80hz feels like I'm drunk.

Some shooters feel noticeable smoother than others with the higher refresh. Warzone still feels janky to me even at 120hz+. Probably down to the pathetic 20 tick servers.

Advertisement