Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

New case arriving soon,Coolermaster H500 to replace an NZXT H500. Havent been happy with GPU temps so the NZXT has to go.

Sold the old PC parts to a friend,hes getting a 3570k,8gb 1600mhz ram,128gb ssd,1 tb hdd,evga 500w psu all in a coolermaster HAF912,all for €250 the jammy git.

Hes an avid game so hoping to convince him to move to PC down the road from PS4.

Ive got myself a 1tb M.2 drive to replace the ssd im giving him,can anyone tell me the best way to clone the OS to the 1tb drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tbh you are better with a fresh install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would also trade that 3570K in for a 3770K (or non K even), the 3570 was a great CPU back in the day but it'll cause problems with a lot of the newest games now, even with a decent overclock. You can get them for €90 2nd hand, and the 3570K would probably sell for 40 or so, so the actual overall cost is small and it would make a huge difference.

The new Battlefield and Assassins Creed are almost unplayable on 3rd/4th gen i5 (low fps, crazy stutter, with all cores pegged 100%). Even something like APEX at this point, which runs OK on older CPUs, would still have fair fps drops. Just when you said you would be trying to convince your friend to move to PC, probably best to start him off on a solid base.

I would also trade that 3570K in for a 3770K (or non K even), the 3570 was a great CPU back in the day but it'll cause problems with a lot of the newest games now, even with a decent overclock. You can get them for €90 2nd hand, and the 3570K would probably sell for 40 or so, so the actual overall cost is small and it would make a huge difference.

The new Battlefield and Assassins Creed are almost unplayable on 3rd/4th gen i5 (low fps, crazy stutter, with all cores pegged 100%). Even something like APEX at this point, which runs OK on older CPUs, would still have fair fps drops. Just when you said you would be trying to convince your friend to move to PC, probably best to start him off on a solid base.

Ye thats a good shout. Im intially keeping the cost as low as i can for him. If he decides he wants to get a GPU and game ill talk to him about an i7.

Not using the 3570K anymore because of the stuff you mentioned. Although it does run elite dangerous and warframe pretty well and there his fav games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

April Fools 2019 tech style

Corsair

Razer

Nvidia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

Question about these WIFI Extenders - is it literally boosting an already degraded signal by being placed in a weak wifi area, or are they wirelessly broadcasting a new network based off of the ethernet port?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It links the units by the mains cables in your walls. Its a hack that works well in some homes. One unit is cabled into the router, the other is remote.

ED E wrote: »
    It links the units by the mains cables in your walls. Its a hack that works well in some homes. One unit is cabled into the router, the other is remote.

I'm familiar with the power line end of it, I've a set here in the house providing a connection to a smart tv that's nowhere near the router. When it comes to wifi though, I'm not sure on how it works. The wifi signal in the room where the tv I mentioned is, is quite poor, so I need to boost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"What did running 20 more tabs of Chrome cost?"
    "Everything."

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

I went for a nice 144hz monitor and now I'm looking for a gpu upgrade. I was looking for the 2070 series but they seem to be failing left right and centre - anyone have any experience of them? I'm holding off buying because they seem to have a huge failure rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BeerFarts wrote: »
    I went for a nice 144hz monitor and now I'm looking for a gpu upgrade. I was looking for the 2070 series but they seem to be failing left right and centre - anyone have any experience of them? I'm holding off buying because they seem to have a huge failure rate.

Get a used GTX 1080 or RX Vega instead.

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the power line end of it, I've a set here in the house providing a connection to a smart tv that's nowhere near the router. When it comes to wifi though, I'm not sure on how it works. The wifi signal in the room where the tv I mentioned is, is quite poor, so I need to boost it.

It doesn't rebroadcast, it uses the EoP link to get that far and transmits a new network which can have the same name/pass as the original if you want.

So I couldn't be bothered to move the water-cooling gear from my GTX 980 Ti to the new 1080, but I was seeing temps at 72C during stress testing.

Switched the fans from 1x 140mm intake / 1x 140mm exhaust
    to
    2x 140mm intake / 3x 120mm exhaust

GPU temp has dropped to 67.5C during testing :)

Im starting to feel the 1080 is not quite up to it lately at 1440p. Im hoping a case change will help with temps and keep the clocks up.

Anthem and the Divison 2 cant quite manage a solid 60. Thats mostly at medium with a few settings on high/ultra based on how each setting affects GPU performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

EoinHef wrote: »
    Im starting to feel the 1080 is not quite up to it lately at 1440p. Im hoping a case change will help with temps and keep the clocks up.

Anthem and the Divison 2 cant quite manage a solid 60. Thats mostly at medium with a few settings on high/ultra based on how each setting affects GPU performance.

Hardware unboxed did a good video on optimal settings for Division 2. What do you have Volumetric Fog turned to? I saw a huge increase in FPS on my 2060 when I turned that down to medium.

It doesn't rebroadcast, it uses the EoP link to get that far and transmits a new network which can have the same name/pass as the original if you want.

Perfect, many thanks. I presume the new network is fine for light browsing etc on a Chromebook, depending on the wiring in the house of course?

Yep. My workstation is through one.

The 4220 you linked are 2.4Ghz only so in some cases that'd be a bit limiting. If your internet connection is above 30Mb and your EoP network can manage to push more than 30Mb then the 5Ghz models (slightly more expensive) make a lot of sense.

My AV1200s do 140Mb wired as an example. Short run. A 2.4Ghz net would curtail that significantly.

Yep. My workstation is through one.

The 4220 you linked are 2.4Ghz only so in some cases that'd be a bit limiting. If your internet connection is above 30Mb and your EoP network can manage to push more than 30Mb then the 5Ghz models (slightly more expensive) make a lot of sense.

My AV1200s do 140Mb wired as an example. Short run. A 2.4Ghz net would curtail that significantly.

Super, appreciated :) I'm looking at this one now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01560JGQW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

EoinHef wrote: »

I think every one has have you tired setting the affinity on easy anti cheat to 1 core instead of all the cores?
    I've also found that the Divsion2 that anything of 85% in terms of resolution scale, isnt really worth DOF always of.
    But I can't help that Nvidia did Sweet Fa in terms of drivers for the game.
    but more than anything I think optimization for that game is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Vega cards arent half as tempting now without the free games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

So... I got a copy of the division 2 with a Ryzen CPU, is there any easy way to pass it on, I gather it's tied to hardware or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Lu Tze wrote: »
    So... I got a copy of the division 2 with a Ryzen CPU, is there any easy way to pass it on, I gather it's tied to hardware or something

I think, though I'm not 100%, that you can pass it on. It only has to be downloaded using the pc containing the part. Then maybe it can be passed on?

I think that works for games on Steam like the ones I go from my AMD Bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Lu Tze wrote: »

If it works the same way the video card game bundles did, you have to log in to the rewards site and add the code on a machine that has one of the relevant bits of hardware.

At that point, since it doesn't check for hardware again, you can change the password and hand off that rewards account to someone else as they'll be able to get the relevant steam/uplay/whatever codes for the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

L wrote: »
    If it works the same way the video card game bundles did, you have to log in to the rewards site and add the code on a machine that has one of the relevant bits of hardware.

At that point, since it doesn't check for hardware again, you can change the password and hand off that rewards account to someone else as they'll be able to get the relevant steam/uplay/whatever codes for the games.

^^ this. Much better articulated than what I tried to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cheers lads, I'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Supposedly there is a 50th anniversary 2700X to be released. I do not know how true it is or how it differs from the standard 2700X.

• Advertisement

Dam it,faulty stick of RAM just after rearing its ugly head:(

Strange as ive played a lot on PC since upgrading and it didnt really show itself.

First indicator for me prob should have been when the division 2 was asking for file verification,but it only did that once.

The biggest indicator was Destiny 2. Kept throwing up a strange error. In time i start getting memory management BSODs.

Have a 16gb corsair kit,both sticks fail 2 passes memtest,7009 errors. Stick 1 passes with no errors and stick 2 currently 6 mins in and 524 errors. Pretty sure ive found the culprit.

Got the kit from Aria,anyone any experience with returns with them? Gonna open a ticket now

EDIT: Seems they want to say that my warranty is with manufacturer. I could push but ive created a ticket with corsair so ill just see how that goes. Least ive still got one usable 8gb stick

Advertisement